Polarizing filters, Sometimes you win, lose, or chose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Schaefer

Reaction score
Lake Katrine, NY, just inside the Catskill Blue L
This is a photo topic. However, it may be of interest to the general hiking public. So I am posting this in the "General Backcountry" forum rather than the special, sign-up "Exposure - Nature Photography" forum. Also many VFTT members (not merely the photo types) may use a filter capable camera. Polarizers are easy to use with a "through the lens" viewfinder where you can see the effect of rotating the filter in the viewfinder. Otherwise you could try to read the general direction of the light, and rotate using the markings on the filter.

One reason to use a polarizer. The reflections of sun light on foliage and other reflective surfaces may wash out the colors in photos. Often these washed out colors can be restored to their natural, full intensity with a polarizing filter (a.k.a. polarizer). An artist would simply paint in those washed out highlights to saturate the image, but a photographer often needs the help of this filter.

You will achieve the maximal effect of the polarizer on a sunny day and when shooting in a direction that is 90 degrees to the direction of the sunlight. I have a hazy, sunny day example later in this post. However, the workings of a polarizer are more readily seen in photos of broad leaf plants shot on cloudy days so I will start there. In fact you will find that a polarizing filter can greatly enhance photos shot in the diffuse light of cloudy days.

The workings of this filter to restore and enhance the sweet light of nature to a photo remind me of a Carole King song: Sweet Seasons (YouTube video link, not mine but I like it). Note: all of the images (art and photos) in that YouTube video were sweetly saturated and polarized to their full potential. A relevant excerpt follows:

Sweet Seasons (Carole King and Toni Stern)

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose
And most times you choose between the two
Wonderin', wonderin' if you have made it

Here are a few photo comparisons that I shot recently. The conditions were about 2 hours before sunset, heavy overcast, quite humid, a thunderstorm approaching, with much diffuse and scattered light. The locale is a swamp in the midst of a forest. The subjects are somewhat unattractive, insect munched, broad leaf plants (whose names I don't recall). The subject matter is not great, but they are convenient subjects for these comparisons. I used a polarizer filter to eliminate some of the large reflections on the shiny surfaces of the broad leaf plants. All of the 12 photos in the gallery were straight JPEG images out of the camera without any post processing.

There are two comparison pairs with the polarizer rotated to settings that are 90 degrees from the other. For completeness I should have collected a third photo without the polarizer on the lens. I will repeat this exercise in the future to fully illustrate the effect, but the most important aspect of the polarizer filter can be seen in the comparison pairs below.

Click on any of the thumbnails to see a larger photo or use this Slide show, the first four photos in the slide show. You may pause the slide show and move through the slide show in forward and reverse, and this is perhaps the best mode for seeing the differences in the photos. The slide show contains other polarizer comparisons (side/90-degree versus direct light, sunny day color saturation, and water reflections). The slide show also contains an unrelated white balance comparison. You may also view thumbnails of all the comparisons in the photo gallery.

In the first comparison the leaves are rather uniformly oriented toward the gray sky (light source). I was able to achieve minimal and maximal effects of the polarizer filter.
Polarizer set for minimal color saturation, few reflections eliminated; below:

Polarizer set for maximal color saturation, most reflections eliminated; below:

In the second comparison the leaves are oriented in widely diverse directions (in relation to the sky); I used two rotations (90 degrees apart) which each eliminated some and different reflections. But no rotation setting could eliminate enough reflections to produce an ideal, "maximal" effect of the polarizer. The missing unpolarized photo would show reflections on all areas of the broad leaves.
One setting eliminated some reflections from some surfaces; below:

Rotated 90 degrees from the first setting eliminated other reflections from other surfaces; below:

OK, the hazy, sunny day example of the polarizer employed to intensify the color saturation. In the photos (from autumn 2006) the individual leaves are infinitesimally small compared to the above broad leaves. However, the effect on each leaf is the same as the broad leaves (you just cannot see the individual leaves). Note this is a slightly back lit side light. That is necessary to achieve the most vivid, translucent, autumnal reds of blueberry, huckleberry, hobblebush leaves (as the sunlit side of these leaves reflect a duller shade of red). Areas of the sky are also becoming more saturated/darker blue. That is because some of the atmospheric haze (sunlight reflections on each suspended, minuscule water vapor droplet) is eliminated.
Unpolarized, below:

Polarized to maximum, below:

Another point. If the sun is directly at your back or if you are shooting directly toward the sun (not side or overhead light, sunrise, sunset, etc.) there is very little if any benefit from a polarizer filter. The direct sunlight cannot be polarized.

Also a caution. Sometimes the maximum effect of the polarizer is "too much". It might render an overly intense, unnatural appearance. On very clear days and or sometimes at high elevations the sky may be rendered so intense that it becomes black. In such cases you may still get benefit some polarization, just don't rotate to the maximum position, 90 degrees from the direction of the sun light. However, on most hazy days in the northeast you will probably not go wrong with the maximum polarized setting.

So remember that with a polarizer filter and based on the direction (and/or diffusion) of sunlight:
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose
And sometimes you choose between the two
Wonderin', wonderin' if you have made the photo better​
But there is no need to wonder; provided you have an LCD screen or other means on your camera to review the exposed photo.

Last edited:
Lots of excellent info here, thanks for putting this together. You'd think, by now, even Point and Shoot cameras would have a Polarizing filter option built in, like a sliding lens cover. Or did I spill the beans and should I get that idea copyrighted ? :eek:

Lots of excellent info here, thanks for putting this together. You'd think, by now, even Point and Shoot cameras would have a Polarizing filter option built in, like a sliding lens cover. Or did I spill the beans and should I get that idea copyrighted ? :eek:

Not sure how a polarizing filter could work on a point-and-shoot. They're not cheap for SLR's because you need to be able to rotate them 360 degrees in their mounts to take advantage of different angles of sunlight. So they're a bit complex for a point-and-shoot.

Lots of excellent info here, thanks for putting this together. You'd think, by now, even Point and Shoot cameras would have a Polarizing filter option built in, like a sliding lens cover.
Some Canon P&Ses can take an adapter to mount certain auxiliary lenses. Perhaps they can also mount a polarizing filter. (At worst, you can just hold the filter in front of the camera lens.)

Easy to use--all you do is rotate it while looking through it to determine the best orientation. Then attach to camera and set the same orientation. (Worked for my mother on a 1940s Voightlander...)

Doug

Great info. I have recently been using a circular polarizing filter and you have explained some of the effects I have seen really well.
Just a note:
A "circular polarizing filter" is linear polarization on the scene side and circular on the camera side.

The image modification occurs because the front-side linear polarization selects part of the light from the scene and rejects the other part. (Some sources of light are polarized or partially polarized: eg haze and specular reflections. The unpolarized parts of the scene are unaffected.)

The circular polarization is required on the camera side because the autofocus sensors are sensitive to linear polarization. A linear-to-linear polarization filter is fine on a manual focus camera.

So Mark is describing the interactions of the linear polarizing (front side of the) filter with the scene.

Doug

I purchased an adapter cone and polarizer with my My Canon A520. Unlike the easy to install and use polarizer on my wife's Pentaz K-1000 film SLR mine was difficult to use effectively in outdoors photography. It was not easy to know when you had rotated it properly but it did improve shots somewhat and it was less than $50.

For the G10 the set-up seems more complex and I wondered if you could just hold a piece of polarizing plastic up in front of the camera.

Quite the price range in polarizing filters too.

Mark Schaefer-"Another point. If the sun is directly at your back or if you are shooting directly toward the sun (not side or overhead light, sunrise, sunset, etc.) there is very little if any benefit from a polarizer filter. The direct sunlight cannot be polarized."
There is one exception of this that is quite notable. If you are shooting rainbows the sun will be at your back and a polarizer can make the rainbow almost disappear or really 'pop out' as it is rotated while having almost no effect on the rest of the scene. A polarizer on rainbows really makes a difference. Here is a demo on YouTube.

I purchased an adapter cone and polarizer with my My Canon A520. Unlike the easy to install and use polarizer on my wife's Pentaz K-1000 film SLR mine was difficult to use effectively in outdoors photography. It was not easy to know when you had rotated it properly but it did improve shots somewhat and it was less than $50.
If you can't see the effect through the camera, you just sight through the filter, rotate it for the desired effect, and mount it on the camera in the same orientation.

For the G10 the set-up seems more complex and I wondered if you could just hold a piece of polarizing plastic up in front of the camera.
You can if the filter is big enough to cover the entire light path. However, you may get reflections off the back side of the filter if light gets behind it.

Quite the price range in polarizing filters too.
The anti-reflection coatings make a big difference.

FWIW, I don't think you need a circular polarizer for the G10--a simpler linear one should do. (IIRC, phase-detection autofocus mechanisms used in DSLRs are sensitive to linear polarization but the contrast-measurement autofocus mechanisms used in P&Ses are not.)

Doug

Last edited:
phase-detection autofocus mechanisms used in DSLRs are sensitive to linear polarization but the contrast-measurement autofocus mechanisms used in P&Ses are not

Excuse me, are you talking dirty?

Canon A6xx

Some Canon P&Ses can take an adapter to mount certain auxiliary lenses. Perhaps they can also mount a polarizing filter. (At worst, you can just hold the filter in front of the camera lens.)

Easy to use--all you do is rotate it while looking through it to determine the best orientation. Then attach to camera and set the same orientation. (Worked for my mother on a 1940s Voightlander...)

Doug

My daughter uses a Canon A630(?) with just such an adapter. She has a polarizer and macro lenses that she uses with the adapter.

It works quite well, although there are some limitations caused by the length of the adapter (it partially shadows the flash and the optical viewfinder, if I remember correctly)

steve