POLL: Best way to hike Mount Monadnock ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best way to hike Mount Monadnock ?

• Up White Dot, Down White Cross

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Up White Cross, Down White Dot

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Up White Dot, Down White Dot

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Up White Cross, Down White Cross

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Wherever the Voices In My Head guide me

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Harling Trail to Cart Path to Parker Trail

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Monadnock Sunapee Greenway

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Any route, with a hired guide

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Bushwack

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
I've red lined most, but not all, of the Monadnock trails. My favorite route up is from the main entrance to Cascade Link, Spellman (a teaser of scrambling) and Pumpelly. Last fall I came down over Bald Rock for the first time. I think it offers a most spectacular view of the mountain itself.

It all depends on the day of the week and time of the year. During the busy seasons on the weekends I try to avoid the White Dot, Cross and Arrow, toooo many people. My favorites are the Lost Farm up to Bald Rock then unmarked trails to the summit. I also enjoy the Cascade Link, Spellman, Mossy Brook and Smith Summit and an occasional bush wack to the shelter.

Isn't there a "cliff trail" also which is very nice, but my favorite is Pumpelly.
These were not choices so I voted for whichever one the spriti moves me to do. I am not a big Monadnock fan because they do not allow dogs.
I used to hike there and did all the trails back when my pup was way too old to hike. Doubt I will ever go back.

Last edited:
The Cliffwalk Trail is very nice. One of my non-hiking buddies wanted to hike on Monadnock the day of his bachelor party (which was in Keene) and he put me in change of picking a route. Since I knew he wasn't going to get to the summit, I picked this trail since I knew we'd get some great views. Sure enough, we did and he was very grateful.

Otherwise, I'd agree with Pumpelly being a great route. Ditto for Dublin or anything going over Monta Rosa. I'm not racist, but I try to avoid the "White" trails! :p

Double Bow said:
The Cliff Walk Trail is very nice.
HQ, Parker Tr, Cliff Walk Tr, <several>, White Arrow Tr is a favorite route to the summit.

Pretty much anything except White Cross or White Dot is nice, IMO. (They are too crowded and badly eroded for my taste.)

Doug

Last edited:
I forgot how nice the Marian Trail is and have been reminded. Cart Path> Mossy Brook> Marian- my favorite ramble! A lthough I most prefer wandering aimlessly off trail. Mountain Brook Valley is actually the most dramatic terrain on the mountain.

Last couple of times we went up Pumpelly and down Dublin, then walked the road back to the Pumpelly trailhead. The roadwalk is a little longer than I'd like but makes it possible to hike a loop with one car.

When I did this loop, I drove to the Dublin Path trail head and dropped off a bike before starting up the Pumpelly to save a little time and roadwalking.

Thanks for your recommendations. We're training to hike Mount Monadnock this Labor Day Weekend to avoid crowds. Does anyone know whether Monadnock State Park has finished building the parking lot at Pumpelly Trailhead ? Someone told us they were planning to build new parking lots at all trailheads and charging a convenience fee to hike like they do when we hike up from Park Head Quarters.

I've heard that as a rumor. The Dublin Trail will soon have a new parking lot and along with that the trailhead has changed. Maybe it is already in use? It wasn't a few weeks ago.

dublin trail

Dublin trail is my favorite - old limited parking area meant few hikers - don't know what new trailhead will bring!

SLB said:
Thanks for your recommendations. We're training to hike Mount Monadnock this Labor Day Weekend to avoid crowds. Does anyone know whether Monadnock State Park has finished building the parking lot at Pumpelly Trailhead ? Someone told us they were planning to build new parking lots at all trailheads and charging a convenience fee to hike like they do when we hike up from Park Head Quarters.

Was on Pumpelly Sunday and there's no lot nor indication of a lot being built. As said a lot was built for the Dublin but haven't heard for Pumpelly.

Just to clarify- SPNHF built the new Dublin Tr parking area. You can use the new trailhead already, but there are stll afew rough edges that need finishing and it's not yet fully blazed/ signed. SPNHF is hoping to hold the "Grand Opening" Saturday July 14th.

Look for the official announcement at www.forestsociety.org

Attempts were made by a group of Dublin residents and SPNHF to relocate the Pumpelly Trailhead to an actual off the road parking area over the past couple of years. The deal fell through and it looks like no options for such a change are in the near future.