"Pound the Presis"... (mostly)Alone in a Crowd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
Several months ago, when I first heard about this event, I had plans and goals for it. I had tough training hikes in mind and had strong ideas about what I wanted to accomplish and how I wanted to accomplish it. Funny how life throws you curveballs sometimes. An injured ankle and bad weather severely hurt my training plans.

Still unsure of my ankle, I started off on the longest hike I'd ever attempted. At 5:30am I headed up Valley Way with Frytz, Jade and Rocksandrolls. I couldn't believe how warm it was already! As we headed up, we fell into pairs; Frytz and I leading the charge and gabbing up a storm while Jade and R&R paced themselves. Along the way up, we came across Jim Lombard and a friend of his. When we got to the hut, we saw a ton on people we knew and so we talked a while. It was great to meet some new people and to see some familiar faces. After the break, Frytz said he was going to skip Madison and we wished him well as he set off towards Adams. As we started up Madison, I saw Chomp and stopped to chat a bit. Good to see you, man!

After getting back down to the hut, I stopped for a few seconds and then told jade and R&R that I was heading off to hit J. Q. Adams and that I'd catch up to them on Adams. I was feeling pretty good and was moving well. I caught up to Woody48 and hiked with him and his brother to my turnoff. As I was heading off toward JQ, I was suprised to see a couple guys up there. I didn't think Trailwright's was that popular. Unfortunately, at one point I made a bad move and I slammed my right knee into a boulder so hard that it was bleeding. It hurt like a mutha' but, it wasn't gushing so, I just decided to keep on keepin' on. I met up with jade and R&R on the way up Adams summit and stayed with them from near the summit of Adams to Edmands Col.

There, we took a snack break, afterwhich I felt like I had more energy. I knew that I needed to go faster than we had been going if I was going to get where I wanted to go so, when we started up again, I opened up the throttle and was soon standing on the summit of Jefferson... alone. In fact, from that point on, I was "soloing it" although there were people a little ways ahead or behind me at times. It was a very cool feeling and it gave me the opportunity to really get inside the scariest of all places, my head.

I was in awe as I went across Monticello Lawn and Clay for the first time. Shortly after that though, as I approached the Westside Trail, I felt something strange... I was... running out of energy. The bagel I had for breakfast and the Cliff Bar I had at Edmands Col weren't doing it anymore. Focused on getting to the caf on Washington, I plugged on. Part way up, I saw the Aligator Eggs crew and I stopped for a minute and added some water to my bladder (though I was well hydrated). As I continued up, I started to get a little light-headed. When I reached the summit, I was tired, hungry and irritated by having to wait to touch the summit so I didn't get in the !&$@) tourists pictures.

In the building, I scarfed down a bowl of chili, a slice of pizza, and a Diet Coke while resting and talking with some Views friends. I spent way too long up there (about 45min) but, I needed to rest and I got talking. As I was going to leave, Jim Lombard showed up and told me that jade and R&R where about 15min back. I told him that we had different plans, wished him well and continued on. Now, I was concerned about time. It was late and I still had so far to go. In spite of this, I kept true to my promise and stopped in at Lakes to see my friend Avery who's working Hut Croo there this summer. We chatted a bit and then I took off, only stopped for half a second to say "hi" to MtnMagic, Hikerfast, and Hikeramiga.

I poured out my energy and raced up Monroe, stopped for a few seconds for pictures and continued on. I got a little discouraged seeing how far Eisenhower looked, but I kept on pushing myself as fast as I could. God, my knee hurt! It was getting pretty stiff too. On Eisenhower, I noticed that I could only see people far off ahead, going towards Pierce. I stopped for a minute due to the sign and had another bar. 5min later, I said to myself "OK, time to toughen up and get going" and I headed off again. I was at least going to get to Pierce.

As I went a long, I argued with myself whether or not to go down Crawford. I knew it would be easier. I knew I was hurt. I knew that I didn't "need" any other peaks. Still, I went against my better judgement. While on Pierce, I convinced myself that I could get over to Jackson and head down the Webster-Jackson trail and meet Shamie at the HC in 3 hours.

So, after a quick break on Pierce, I continued, passing Mizpah and going through the wet, muddy, rambling section 'til I got to Jackson where reality set in. I was going to be late and I was going to be going down a PITA trail in the dark with a knee that was in pain. And that's exactly what I did. I slipped a few times on the mud and had to be extra careful following the route one it got dark (even with my headlamp) but slowly, I got out in one piece. Despite my being over an hour late meeting her, when Shamie saw me limping in, she wasn't the least bit upset with me. She did say that I looked "gray" though... :(

So, I didn't perform as well as I would have liked and there are somethings I would do differently but, I learned a lot about myself from the experience and my story has got some additional donations from folks who hadn't contributed and that's what's really inportant! It's all about the Benjamins...

I took a TON of pictures! Here's the link to 50 of them.

Nice report DB!!!! Its a tough and long day no matter how you slice it.

I recall feeling the same thing as I strolled over the monticello lawn for the first time a few years back. That entire area is one that NEVER gets old.

Congrats on your successfull trip. :) :) :)

I was hoping to run into you up there as I have yet to see the infamous DB on the trail :D but things happen - my plan was to chill out more in the nothern pressies and shoot the brreeze with people, but I kept hearing there was a risk for boomers after noon and wanted to be well past lakes by that time. Turns out - they never happened - but you never know up there.

cool beans on JQ Adams!!

Glad to hear you made it out ok despite your injury. I was concerned when we got done and headed to CMR and noone had heard from you in a while. Jade and I enjoyed your company on the way to Jefferson and glad we figured out where we were before we started heading uphill too soon :rolleyes: It sure is a long walk from Adams to Jefferson!

Last edited:
Hi DB, nice shots, sorry we didn't run into you either on the hike or after. You, Jade, and RocknRolls were the source of discussion at the Highland Center for awhile after the group of Bubba,Daxs,abster,Umsaskis, etc. etc. came off the crawford path. We were able to get a time update of Jade by Skiguy but we knew that you too were also on the mountain still and I didn't know what kind of shuttle you had planned.

Well, we'll have to run into each other somewhere else though. I saw your scrape in your picture, looks like you also went away with a hiker tan too, in addition to donating blood :)

Jay

Yeah, I had planed to stop by CMR afterward but I was bushed. That descent took the last bit of energy out of me. I think it must have been Bubba's group that I saw in the distance as I was coming off Eisenhower. There couldn't have been two people out there with those pants! :D

I'm sporting trail knee and hiker's tan now... another arguement for low rise trailrunners! Sorry I didn't get to socialize at the camp and meet more folks but I'm really glad to have met the ones I did. You better believe I'll be there for whatever next year's event might be. Hopefully, injury-free!

Jay H said:
Hi DB, nice shots, sorry we didn't run into you either on the hike or after. You, Jade, and RocknRolls were the source of discussion at the Highland Center for awhile after the group of Bubba,Daxs,abster,Umsaskis, etc. etc. came off the crawford path.
Jay

just to clarify - the discussion was out of concern - nothing bad - someone reported (not from our group) that folks were having problems - turns out this was probably not true - but when you hear this and people are still up high - well people just get concerned at the time - but it all ended well :D :D

Great to see you up there! What a day! Nice job on completing. We ended up going down Crawford, it was 8pm on Pierce and it seemed like the best decision. I'll be back to complete the whole thing, it's amazing the lessons you learn.

It's long, but it's worth it!

Double Bow said:
Despite my being over an hour late meeting her, when Shamie saw me limping in, she wasn't the least bit upset with me. She did say that I looked "gray" though... :(

So, I didn't perform as well as I would have liked and there are somethings I would do differently but, I learned a lot about myself from the experience and my story has got some additional donations from folks who hadn't contributed and that's what's really inportant! It's all about the Benjamins...
QUOTE]

Glad to hear that all of our foursome, had varied, but successful trips! When your wife is not upset with you, You know you had a successful trip - in more ways than one! It was a pleasure hiking with you - and all the talking distracts from the climbing!
I essentially soloed from Madison hut (left my cap in the hut, so I had to go back from Dax's group!). I hiked short bits with Jay and Giggy and Bob and Geri. I went out the Crawford Path and saw the strangest assortment of unprepared hikers coming in! I was unprepared for the $4 beer at HC, but Sherpa Kroto remedied the second round!

Being a bit dense, I did the Ice Gulch oin Sunday, and although it was cool (in both senses of the word), it might have been the more difficult of the weekend's hikes!

Nurse the knee, but definitely overcome the gray!

Fred

Double Bow said:
I think it must have been Bubba's group that I saw in the distance as I was coming off Eisenhower. There couldn't have been two people out there with those pants! :D

Great minds... I was thinking that when I was reading it!! Crap, they're pretty hard to miss! I may golf in them this weekend :cool:

Nice to run into you again. When are you going to stay around so we can STS a little?? You had quite the hike... everyone that went over to Webster said the trail down was tough after a long day. Can't imagine it with a headlamp. We were all wondering how you were doing... you kept getting better with each beer, you know!! :) :)

Hang tight. Take care of the knee and bask in your success!!

Glad you made it, rest the knee. I think I like the starting in the dark over ending in the dark.

Jazzbo said:
DB .... What's a PITA Trail?

Kinda dry and bland, but pretty good for you. It's what you put into it that counts.

Double Bow,

It was great to meet ya on the trail. Hope your knee is feeling better. I went out the Crawford Path. I knew this old body didn't have the energy to go over Jackson and Webster. Also I knew there was a cold beer at CMR calling my name!

Woody

Glad you folks had such nice weather in the Whites, I was painting blazes in a thunderstorm in southern VT.
Double Bow said:
As I was heading off toward JQ, I was suprised to see a couple guys up there. I didn't think Trailwright's was that popular.
People (even an AMC range hike) were climbing JQ long before the Trailwrights even existed much less had a peak list. Many of them probably don't even know it has a name, just an outcrop which might have views of Adams and Star Lake.