"Pound the Presis" - Presi travese to benefit TBTS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, website is back up... I was going to jump off a bridge.. :D

I'm sure Darren is probably going to do the bike ride again, haven't heard from him though. You folks doing both are welcome to simply fundraise for the bike event, it doesn't make a difference to me.

Because Darren does the ride for research, I also don't fundraise on this site, I let Darren do that and I'll ask friends and family that are not on VFTT... which is what I've always done.

Jay

Last edited:
Count me in! Had fun at the Escarpment Hike this past year. I'll do a DP dayhike in the spring as a "warmup" for the summer hiking season and a few monster dayhikes I have planned for next summer :D , we can talk more about it in the spring. For now let it snow, let it snow, let it snow :) .

I suspect we will have enough cars & keys that we can spot vehicles at any & all escape routes in case people bail on their own or the weather kicks us off.

I’ve been toying with doing a Presi traverse before I get too long in the tooth and since none of my regular hiking partners have any interesting in said hike, it will give my wife comfort to know that I will not be alone on this trip. Now all I have to do is dust off the treadmill.

What a traverse is!

Jay H said:
There's no pressure to do the whole traverse (I'm going to purposely avoid defining what a traverse is since some folks feel one way, others feel another! :) ) anyway, the purpose is to raise money and just have fun, stay safe.

Jay

I'll have to see what my schedule is in the spring! I hope to do it though! I may avoid some of the summits since I have been to all of them a number of times! Pray for a good weather weekend - bad weather above the timberline can be really bad! But good weather can be breathtaking!!

Fred

Jay, this sounds like an excellent tour! I've wanted to do one (although I'm not sure I truly understand what/where a traverse is, but will learn). I'd also like to do the bike ride... not sure what the calendar will be like, and spring is way busy work. So, I'm a definite maybe/probably. FTR, I think how you organize these yearly trips are great -- athough I've not been on one, I have followed the last two.

I'm in....and really looking forward to it.....
Damn I wish I didn't just eat that bucket of Ben & Jerrys!!!

Thanks in advance Jay......

Last edited:
Long in the tooth!

MadRiver said:
I’ve been toying with doing a Presi traverse before I get too long in the tooth and since none of my regular hiking partners have any interesting in said hike, it will give my wife comfort to know that I will not be alone on this trip. Now all I have to do is dust off the treadmill.

It's good when you're long in the tooth too! Voice of experience!!

Fred

Bucket of B&J

jade said:
I'm in....and reallying look forward to it.....
Damn I wish I didn't just eat that bucket of Ben & Jerrys!!!

Thanks in advance Jay......

The traverse will burn off the bucket, and then some!!

I'm not addicted to hiking! It's eating that I am addicted too! So hiking let's me feed my addiction!!

Fred

Jay/Daxs, SherpaTaxi will be in attendance ;) should you wish to fly in (hey, maybe some Good Ole Southern Lawyer will be able to make this one). I am definitely in for this as I already had it on my calendar. While last year's hike was fulfilling, I want to get across that darn ridge in a day! This year, I definitely am planning in a rain day. That way, sun will be assured.

FWIW, I suggest Barnes Field as a camping option. Israel River is also a good option, but I'm not sure how Roy and Josie would deal with a large crowd (although they are really nice folks).
EDIT: what I mean for Israel River CG is that it is mostly used by seasonal campers who are there most weekends. I would not want to be the cause of any hard feelings if we got loud (my folks camp there seasonally)

Last edited:
[QUOTEFWIW, I suggest Barnes Field as a camping option. Israel River is also a good option, but I'm not sure how Roy and Josie would deal with a large crowd (although they are really nice folks).[/QUOTE]

Having old bones, I will opt for a motel - know reasonable ones in Gorham! Also have a friend I might impose on in Jefferson!

Fred

Little early to fully commit, but i had a blast on the Devils Dayhike and missed the Escape, So I to try and make the Pounding. Count this Lurker as almost in

Great, I'm going to be collating the various replies and put together another distribution list. Rob S. (i12climbup) is going to retitle our pledge form from last year and issue that sooner or later and I'm going to contact the TBTS soon.

Oh, rain/snow/typhoon/tsunami/meteor/earthquake date would be sunday June 18th!

Jay

sherpa, I will probably take advantage of your taxi service unless airfare rises to some ridiculous level (i think airfares are actually falling, the airfare for my patagonia trip has dropped to about $750 from $1,000). The big question, though, will you were a turban this time??????

I fit in the category of being very interested but too early to commit. Please keep me in the loop as planning proceeds. This is good motivation to get out a lot this winter. Thanks for the coordination.

Hope everybody's winter is doing well.. It's mid february, it's time for me to get off my lazy ass and start the ball rolling.

to refresh everybody's memory, the date is still June 17th, rain date for this year's TBTS fundraiser, with the rain date being June 18th.. Pray for sun, everytime I am in the Whites, it rains or snows. But anyway, hope this time it is different.

I created a fundraising page for this event via the same website I had for the Escarpment hike. This is a GROUP website, in other words, it's not just mine, you can use it to pass around to those that would like to contribute online. Frankly, it's a lot easier than checks or cash because the donor will pay TBTS directly through this website and I wont have to deal with collecting and counting and mailing these checks via certified mail to TBTS. But money is money, and I will be collecting donations up to and probably after the event. Rob has the donation sheet just above this post.

Here is the website, you can check it out and you can actually start donating, it's Live, so to speak! :)

http://www.firstgiving.com/poundthepresis

The next few weeks, I'll have to figure out camping logistics though since I did the Presi traverse last year and Cherry Mountain Road worked out well for our moderate sized group, might do that again.

If anybody wants to volunteer, feel free to let me know, because of the three Huts in the presis (Madison->Washington (summit) and Lake of the Clouds) we have already water and food available but I think we could do something that is free (rather than buying stuff at Washington) and perhaps roaming volunteers with Snickers :) Or ice cream and a cooler.. yeah!

Anyway, stay tuned...

Jay