Presidential Traverse in Late February?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave:

Thanks for the good advice, I have never been one to push myself beyond my limits, especially with other people. My experience with 4 and 5 night winter trips is that you almost never do your ideal plan and that is because of weather.

I'd like to share a quote that I believe in a lot.

"As an alpinist who carries a long list of dead friends and partners, I approach the mountains differently. I go to them intending to survive, which I define as a success. A new route or the summit is a bonus" -- Mark Twight

Although I won't ever approach mountains as technically challenging as Mr. Twight does, this I believe above all. It is being out there, returning safely, and remembering that experience that is the reward.

Washington is the most intimidating factor, but those other peaks are not far off. It wont take much up there in the way of bad weather signs (i.e. weather radio, barometer, wind, and cloud type) for me to walk down the north side of those mountains.

Thanks for the input on the gulf wilderness and suggested camps.

Best Regards,
Justin

Read This!!

I've done a couple of N-S half traverses and the whole enterprise is totally weather dependant.

I sugges you read this excellent Presi Traverse backgrounder from Chauvin Guides as part of your prep for this trip.

Given the high probability of poor/low visibility enroute, the GPS waypoint table included in this article is really useful.

cb

ChrisB,

Nice reference.

> Given the high probability of poor/low visibility enroute, the GPS waypoint table included in this article is really useful.

Make sure you have the waypoints preprogrammed into the GPS--entering them in the midst of a storm will be next to impossible.

Doug

Mtn-top said:
We would love to have you, BlueZ. Last year we did a few long hikes as training, one over the Wildcats and Carters, a Tripyramids hike up one slide and down the other, etc., then we started from Appalachia at 4 am and went to it; starting with Madison and working our way down. It was a long day! We were over Jackson and back at Crawford about 8:30. :D :D

As the time gets nearer, I will be in touch.

Charlie

Hi - I would love to give this a shot also. I believe we hiked together on New Years last year, descending Moosilauke. I have always wanted to attempt a traverse but never had a friend that was that interested in the torture! PLease keep me posted
J

Jason,

Yes definitely come! - I thought the hardest part was driving home. We spotted cars and I followed Charlie home in my car. He told me that I passed
a live moose and a dead deer in the road along the way, yet I remember only seeing just the back of his car -- because I was so tired. I also realized that stopping in a rest area and doing jumping jacks really does not wake up a person enough!

It's a very good hike -- long, but worth it.
-Liza

Last edited:
Excellent thread! And, yes visit Chauvin's Guided Presi Winter Route site, as it is really ace. Pay attention to Chauvin's exit strategies, and have all bearings written on paper taped to the back of your compass. I entirely agree with David Metsky that weather is everything for a Winter Presi Traverse. My only successful winter Presi traverse was done during one moonlit night in late January of 1972. We waited for perfect weather; the full moon was a bonus, and the eclipse that night was a double bonus. There is so much truth in the alpine climbing axiom "fast = light." I have failed many winter Presi traverses when weighted down with full camping gear. On our one-night traverse, we carried bivi gear for emergencies, including a sleeping bag, foam pad, and bivi sack for each of us, and a stove and cook pot for our group of three. We did not carry snowshoes then, but there is no excuse for not carrying the lightweight models available now, as they will be invaluable if you need to make a premature exit. Numerous people do the Presi traverse as a day trip each winter, and I will bet that most of them know very well what they are doing. Of course, there is the ongoing debate about which is better, north to south, or south to north. Good luck and be careful out there.

Is this still a maybe?

percious said:
I am planning a trip up madison and/or adams for the end of February. (pres. day weekend)
-percious

Are you going solo or are you looking for company? Keep us informed if so.
Thanks,
Capt. Jim

Thread Update

This is the current beta on the presidential traverse as it stands:

Arm and I are looking for a strong group (2-3 more people ideally) with flexible dates to hike the traverse. We have discussed presidents day weekend, but ultimately the weather will indicate what day we start.

We are looking at an ideal window of two days (one night) since it is hard to get two days of good weather and even harder to get more than two days of good weather up there. However, weather not permitting, we plan on having extra food, fuel, etc.

I know there have been some other replies from CrazyDave and Gremlin, are you guys still interested?

Best Regards,
Justin

I would think that the people who have traversed in one day have a good deal of experience and knowledge of the routes. Unless you have someone in your group who knows the route I see no way to do this in one day. The route looks easy on a map but when you get above treeline it takes some time to route find unless you've done it before. I have tried the traverse N- to-S about 4 times and have not made it over Washington.

You may want to limit your groups to parties of 3 and carry a 3 person tent. Carrying one tent will lighten the loads of all three hikers. One person carry the tent, another the food, another the fuel. I hike with a partner and we squeeze into a Bibler I tent.

I am a slow hiker but I usually run into other groups making the attempt and they get no further than me. Madison, Adams and camping at the Perch will be a long day. Next day shoot for the finish....It will be another LONG day just to get Pinkham Notch. Weather permitting shoot for Crawford if you have a car parked there.

You need to get early starts and break camp fast and early on day 2.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Summer Speed Trav..

4 or so years ago I had 2 co-workers from PNVC do a speed traverse. I'm not sure of the exact hours, but it was around 23, but maybe more or less. No joke! It was a male and female and yes they RAN the whole way. It was planned out for their friends to meet them along the way with water and some snacks. They finished up in Pinkham.

I successfully did a traverse a few summers ago. Not a complete one, but close (21-22 miles). I stashed my car at Crawford Visitor Center (not built yet) and rode my bike back to Lowes Store. I stayed in those rat hole cabins behind Lowes (not advised). I slept in my sleeping bag rather than getting under the bed linens.

About 3 am I walked from Lowes to Appalachia and started up Valley Way. I mistakenly did not take Valley Way all the way to Madison hut. I took another trail (I cant remeber the name but it branched off Valley Way alittle more than half way up) and it was a bitch but it took me directly to the summit of Madison. This cost me an extra hour. I should of just went up Valley Way to the hut, dashed up Madison and back down.

I stopped and hung out at Mt Wash for 30-45min and then hiked to Eisenhower and down Crawford to the car. I did all the peaks on the way. I finished in a sluggish 17 hours (7:30-8:00pm).

All that rock hopping was a bitch. My legs were spasming like crazy as I hiked down from Eisenhower. I doubt I could of made it another mile. I was 42 years old then and pretty proud to make that hike. I tried it again in September of that year and got blown back by wind and rain at Adams.

I just dont think this hike is doable in one day during the Winter. Heavier pack, wind, cold....very tough stuff.

One funny thing. I am from Maryland and the first people I ran into at the summit of Washington were from Maryland as well...10 miles from my house. They had driven up the auto road. The guy was wearing a Ravens shirt.

Last edited:
blownaway said:
I mistakenly did not take Valley Way all the way to Madison hut. I took another trail (I cant remeber the name but it branched off Valley Way alittle more than half way up) and it was a bitch but it took me directly to the summit of Madison. This cost me an extra hour though. I should of just went up Valley Way to the hut, dashed up Madison and back down.
That's the Watson Path. On the map it looks like a time saver and more direct route. It ain't, as you learned.
I just dont think this hike is doable in one day during the Winter. Heavier pack, wind, cold....very tough stuff.
Oh, it's doable as a winter dayhike by the right people in the right conditions. I've seen it done. As a single night overnight it falls into the range of quite possible, again, with the right people and conditions. It's easier in March with more daylight. No doubt, any trip like this is foolhardy if you're not prepared, in shape, well equiped, and willing to turn around, but they can be done.

"Everything's walking distance if you have enough time."

I love gnarly trails like the Watson Path! Makes it interesting, but certainly not a time saver.

Jasonst said:
I love gnarly trails like the Watson Path! Makes it interesting, but certainly not a time saver.

Nice in-your-face warm up for a 22 mile hike. Luckily I had no food in my gut to leave on the trail.

Blownaway:

I grew up in Maryland as well (Columbia/Clarksville Area). Where are you from?

About the one day traverse, I know of several people who have done it in the winter. IT IS NOT IDEAL FOR ME, but I would consider it. I have a history of difficult day hikes over 20+ miles.

I think our trip is looking at 1 night right now two nights as a possibility depending on who else joins us.

~Justin

Justin,

I'm from Harford County.

If I thought I could do this in one day I would go with you, however, I know my limitations/ability. I really like the 3 day approach (day 1 Madison vicinity camp day, 2 Sphinx Col camp, day 3 over Washington and down) I've just hit bad weather on day 3 and turned back before Washington 3 times and my partner was very sick on the 4th attempt.

A one night traverse is more of a personal challenge/workout then enjoyment IMO.

I'm sitting here at work, trying to figure out whether I will hit the whites this weekend. I also want to hit IME or Wild things and try on some frameless packs my next trip. Shopping for a pack unfortunately wipes out a day in the mountains.

Take care...