Primus Stove Cannister Compatibility

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski_adk

Reaction score
I just purchased a Primus Micron stove. In the instructions, it says it's to be used exlusively with Primus gas canisters. Is this true or just some marketing nonsense? I test fitted it onto MSR's canisters and it seemed to fit fine over the threads. The only concern I noticed was that the wide rubber gasket on MSR's stoves simply don't exist on this Micron.

So, would you use an MSR cannister, or order the primus canisters? Basically, I just don't want to go boom if I choose to experiment. Thanks!

I have a couple of Primus stoves,a Primus lantern and a Brunton Liberty Lantern and I can use Primus or MSR cannisters on all of them.
Sounds like the old"always insist on Genuine ### Parts"
I will say,however,that I prefer the Primus fuel,as it seems to light easier in cold conditions.

I have two Primus stoves. I've used fuel cans from Primus, MSR, and another that I can't remember right now and have never had any problems with any of them.

I have the primus micron (great purchase!!!!) and use snowpeak and MSR canisters with no problem- have not blown myself up yet!!

only hassle is having to weigh the canisters to figure out how much burn time is left-anyone figured out an alternative method to guestimate burn time on partly used cannisters?

They all use the Lindal valve, but each manufacturer claims theirs seats better on their cannisters due to better machining, tighter tolerances, blah, blah, blah. I'm not buying it and my gigapower seats fine on every cannister I have tried, but I did burn up a snowpeak one while experimenting with homemade wind screens. No fault of the cannister or stove, but, I turned my stove into a molotov cocktail to save $10, live and learn. My older brother has had a Primus for about a decade now and has no problem using any of the cannisters, he just gets whatever is cheapest.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the advice. Do you keep an eye on SteepandCheap.com ? That's where I picked up this stove...for the low low price of $33.62 :D

Anyways, I'm just about outfitted now for real camping. The only other things I really need is a small cooking set and first aid kit and I'll be complete. Oh I can't wait for my first overnight!

no - but thanks - I will use that site now!!

use the msr can - your not going to go boom.

like I said earlier, I have a primus and I use msr cans all the time. I have not used a primus cannister since about 2003 - as they seem to be tougher to find. I started useinf the snowpeak this past winter cuz they say it works better in the cold, but don't buy that.

from Backpackinglight.com

The basic problems are: 1) one manufacturer has no control over the quality control of another manufacturer's stove or fuel canisters, and 2) no manufacturer wants to accept any responsibility for another manufacturer's products. Especially with fuel canisters, which are a potential bomb in a worst-case scenario, company lawyers are averse to liability. So their position and message is that there are small differences

I have a Primus stove and I use Snow Peak cannisters. It's damn near impossible to find the Primus 2207 cannisters anymore. I haven't seen one at my local retailers for years.