Problems with staking tent on wooden platform try this

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainManKurt

Reaction score
If you have the problem of staking down your tent on a wooden platform. There is a simple thing you can bring with you on the hike. All you need is a package of eye hooks and strap ties. Twist in the eye hook by each corner of the tent and put the strap tie through the eye of the hook and then through the stake loops of your tent. Then connect the strap tie together.Your tent will be staked down for the night. In the morning cut the strap ties and move out. Make sure you bring enough for each corner of your tent each night your are sleeping on a wooden platform.
I have tried it works. Have fun backpacking.
Kurt

Most tent platforms in the Whites already have eyehooks installed. And wouldn't rope work just as well as plastic ties without having to cut them after every night?

-dave-

Rope does work just as well and is my preferred tool for anchoring.

However, if you prefer plastic or nylon cable ties (aka wire ties, zip ties), look for the ones with a releasable head which allows multiple use. If winter camping, be aware that not all cable tie materials are rated for all temperatures. Some will get quite brittle and may break as temperatures fall below freezing.

OK, call me a LNT fanatic but...

When I have been forced to use wooden platforms to tent on ( like in the Whites- Garfield Tentsite) I have brought along some extra light wt. cord and have guyed out my tent using

A large rock as an anchor for each guy point

or a small rock used as a "chock" stone . The stone is somewhat larger then the space between the platform's planks. One end of the cord is tied to the stone and then the string goes between the planks of the platform and the other end tied to the guy point on the tent.

Rocks are then returned to where I found them and the cord goes back into my pack.

But why not use a bivy bag in situations where a platform is available? Or, like duh, a free standing tent? ;)

Last edited:
woodstrider said:
or a small rock used as a "chock" stone . The stone is somewhat larger then the space between the platform's planks. One end of the cord is tied to the stone and then the string goes between the planks of the platform and the other end tied to the guy point on the tent.
I've used this method as well, it works fine with a little fiddling.
But why not use a bivy bag in situations where a platform is available? Or, like duh, a free standing tent? ;)
Because not everyone has a freestanding tent or likes bivy bags. Non-freestanding tents can be lighter than their freestanding counterparts.

-dave-