Pros and cons of fiberglass vs. carbon-kevlar kayaks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxi

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my kayak. Kittery Trading Post has a sale on several kayaks including Impex Mystics (which fit me perfectly!). The FG weighs 43 lbs. and the CK version is 38. Besides weighing less, are there any other advantages to CK? Is it worth paying $500 more for CK? Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
Sorry - advantage for Fiberglass is than Fiberglass is much easier to repair than carbon/kevlar.

Thanks! That's actually good news! FG is also cheaper. I was wondering why someone would pay $500 more for carbon-kevlar when the weight difference is only 5 lbs., and I realize that 5 lbs. can make a HUGE difference, but $500 worth?? So I was trying to figure out besides the weight difference, is there another advantage that would account for the price difference? Is it sturdier, less likely to get damaged, something...? Thanks for replying! Always good to hear from you two. :)

Mostly I would say it's a toss up. These days we buy kevlar when we have a chance, mostly for the weight difference. We store a beautiful Mystic for our friend. It's a beauty of a boat, made of fiberglass. I don't know if kevlar is less susuptible to uv damage than fiber. I do know that some will say that the kevlar is stronger yet more fragile.
Seems kind of an oxymoron, but in the early days they were thought to be strong much like an egg shell.

This last time around when were trying to decide what material to order a tandem boat we were adviced not to order an all carbon boat for that reason.
We ordered a kevlar boat instead. Glad we did as recently it took a huge hit in our own driveway when one of the tie down ropes we were using wraped around the tire. Not only did it pop the roof rack off but bent the rack in a U shape.
Fearing the worst I examined the boat and it was unscathed in any way.

Don't know if a fiberglass boat would have survived, but it would be an unrealistic comparison as it was a "freak accident" that I hope never to repeat.

I think 43lbs is a great weight depending on your age, how tall your vehicle is, how often you have to lift it, how much money you want to spend, things like that.
Seems you can't go wrong either way. If you had a chance to look at each boat side by side I would go for the most perfect workmanship of the two. ...And of course sit in each one just to make sure the fit was equal in the two versions, no rough edges, skeg nice and smooth etc.etc
good luck !

We ordered a kevlar boat instead. Glad we did as recently it took a huge hit in our own driveway when one of the tie down ropes we were using wraped around the tire....<snip>

I think 43lbs is a great weight depending on your age, how tall your vehicle is, how often you have to lift it, how much money you want to spend, things like that. Seems you can't go wrong either way. If you had a chance to look at each boat side by side I would go for the most perfect workmanship of the two. ...And of course sit in each one just to make sure the fit was equal in the two versions, no rough edges, skeg nice and smooth etc.etc
good luck !

Thanks, spider solo! Kevlar is great. I have it inside my motorcycle jacket and gloves. Love it! But I decided it wasn't worth $500 more than FG in a kayak. So since the sale at KTP is ending, I spent yesterday and today sitting in both the Impex Mystic (FG) at KTP and the Delta (ABS thermoform) at REI and discovered that although the Delta is extremely appealing to my eye, the Mystic fits me much better. So I went with that. The Mystic has also had better reviews over time. The reviews I read about the Delta were mixed. The Eddyline Fathom LV which I also liked is way out of my price range.

The fact that Carmel and Jay H each paddle a Mystic and have done lots with theirs says a lot about how much I know I'm going to enjoy mine over time. At 5-ft., 3-in. tall, the tighter fit and lighter weight of the Mystic suits me as well. I'm very happy with my decision and glad to have saved $600 during KTP's sale.

you should like the Mystic, I am 5'5" 135lbs, and I still feel the Mystic is a little big on me, at least when I try a hip brace. I've tried a Force 3 and that fits even better than the mystic, I think. Of course, I can always pad it ouT.

The other kayak I did try when I was looking was a P&H Vela, another very purposefully built true sea kayak for the smaller paddler. Liked it, but felt more comfortable at the time in the Impex and it was a lot cheaper too.

Other kayaks that I've sat in were the Romany LV and the Valley Avocet LV...

Jay

you should like the Mystic,
Jay

You are so right! I love my Mystic! Took her out on her maiden voyage after work today and enjoyed watching a blue heron fly across the lake. Stayed until sunset paddling water that became like glass as the slight breeze died down. It was heaven! And I was thrilled to pay the same price as you did for yours, given that the last time I looked at a Mystic, it was $300 higher on sale. KTP's sale was much better! I'm also glad I didn't get a longer or heavier boat. I'm 2 inches shorter than you and reaching up putting the kayak on the rack on my CRV gets interesting at times. I'm very happy with my Mystic! Thanks, Jay! :)

Hi Roxi, what I use as a stepstool for my Subaru (I use J-carriers) is one of these:

406.jpg

I then take some spare wood or at least 3/4" thick plywood and some bolts, nuts and washers and bolt the wood to the case and use it as a stepstool. I use a drill with a wood bit to countersink the bolt head such that the top is entirely flat, (the bolt head would be below the surface of the wood). The wood, not only makes it taller, it makes the case stronger...

I also use it as a bench to sit to change from my sneakers to paddling shoes!

Can also be used as a tray!

Many uses, I should patent it. :)

Jay

I have a impex force 3 which I love. Was just out paddling on Lake Champlain with it this weekend. Honestly, I used Jays method of the soda crate for awhile but now I use a step stool to help me reach everything to tie my boat down. I an get the baot on and off my car without a problem for the most part though

less weight = more speed; justified in a racing boat, but I don't see 5 lbs. as being worth $500 in any recreational kayak. If there was a greater weight difference, you could justify it as being easier to carry, put on the roof, etc. Mine is 17 feet and 55 lbs. of FG, and I'm quite happy with it.

now I use a step stool to help me reach everything to tie my boat down.

This what I was originally thinking too, but I have tipped my step stool over too often to trust it. I typically open my side car doors and step up to tie down the kayak once it is on the J hooks. The awkward part for me is at a certain point of lifting the kayak on/off the J hooks. There is a moment when I'm hoping I guessed the center of gravity correctly while I shift my position....:eek: