Quabbin reservoir

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. X said:
Hey I heard that when the water is low you can see some of the buildings (like church steeples etc). Does anyone have some info on as to in what parts this is? Or even better pictures?
Urban legend. Drew Knight is correct in his explanation.

The Quabbin is a great place to wander and spot wildlife. Not the grind of hiking a 4k for sure, but the views can be just as serene. I've seen lots of the reservoir from a boat while fishing there in the late 80's, and mountain biked to the Dana common and and deadman's curve area in the 90's.

Another worthwhile read is "Quabbin: A History and Explorers Guide" by Michael Tougias. Lost of good info about what gates hold what "attractions" and he outlines some great loop hikes. He was featured on the Quabbin show that recently aired on Chronicle (see also: GranDaddy's reference to 107 ft from home - from the same show).

Yet another terrific source of info is J.R. Greene. He's written a bunch of short historical books about the Quabbin, some of it from a time when "At-Home Publishing" meant hand-typing his work and hand-drawing his own maps, photocopying everything including the pictures in black and white, and hand-binding his work. I don't know how much of it has been re-published during the computer age so it looks a little low-rent, but there's some great info tucked away in his work.

smitty77 said:
Urban legend. Drew Knight is correct in his explanation.

I am not sure URBAN is the right term the area around the quabin is decidly not urban. The state police have done some diving there and a guy from U Mass made a documentary about it. They razed all the building before they flooded it. I hope to go diving with the state police the next time they dive there. I think it would be kinda cool.

Lou

Here's a map of where we would do a loop hike at Soapstone starting at Gate 37 - Part of it (Cutoff Trail) is somewhat of a bushwack. The easy way is to turn right after the casueway and head straight up the steep slope and return the same way.

For those interested in the history of the Quabbin Res, PBS Boston (ch 2) is showing "Under Quabbin" from 7:30--9:00 pm this evening (Wed).
Director Edward Klekowski's documentary examines the search for remains of the four towns that were destroyed in the 1930's when the Quabbin Reservoir was built in Belchertown.

Doug

North Quabbin Hiking

If you are up along route 2 the north Quabbin area is good hiking or snowshoeing if the conditions require. Start at the Petersham General Store. They have trail maps of the area.

From Petersham take West Rd to the enterence to Federated Women's Clubs State Park. You may need a 4 wheel drive or AWD at this time of year. Park at the lot at the foot of a hill. Walk the old logging road up and over the hill to the Reservior (about one mile). A paved road along the shore makes for easy walking and great views.

DougPaul said:
For those interested in the history of the Quabbin Res, PBS Boston (ch 2) is showing "Under Quabbin" from 7:30--9:00 pm this evening (Wed).

Thanks! I got it on the TiVo and will report back once we watch it...