Question re: Bigelow tentsites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
Howdy all. I'm heading to the Bigelows tomorrow (thursday) for some backpacking. Has anyone been to Moose Falls tentsite? Does it, as the name suggests, have a decent amount of water available there? I hear the spring at Avery is unpredictable.

I'm going to make up my mind once I hit the trailhead which tentsite I'll stay at tomorrow night. It's a choice between the Horns, Avery or Moose Falls.

Thanks in advance for any beta on any or all of these, though I'm mostly intrigued by Moose Falls, and I don't see any info in either the AMC guide, using the search engine here or googling it.

I don't remember any water near there, but then I wasn't looking for it either. There was a spring near the top of the Firewarden's trail, but it was after most, if not all the steep part, so if you went there, you might as well keep going to Bigelow Col.

There's a new privy there, with a sign that says to keep the door closed or the raccoons will eat it, or something like that.

Moose Brook Falls

Moose Falls is a long mile down from the col. I got water on the Trail just before the campsite where two small streams cross the Trail. There's a privy, as mentioned, a large tent platform and further in a large tentsite. It was pretty muddy a few weeks ago. It's new, built to support the MATC trailcrews who are still doing a massive rock staircase rebuild from Avery down to a few hundred yards before the tentsite. For some reason the signage reads "Appalachian Trail" over the site name, but I doubt any ATer would ever go that far off (and down) from the trail.

So, start with the trip reports from Ivy and myself (both in that thread) and the photos if you haven't already.

Horns Pond is a beautiful campsite. You will be very, very tempted to stay there because it does take a considerable amount of hiking (lotsa distance; elevation is very moderate) to get that far (you going in the AT, out the Firewarden's?), and the Horns will look very daunting as the first thing you do is climb steeply up them. The pond is a temptation to swim, and there are even dual(ing?) privies.

However, the walk between the Horns and West Peak is easy and will go by quickly. You can enjoy the amazing summit of West peak, then head down into camp. Bigelow Col is a much smaller, more backcountry-feel campsite. It does have nice platforms, much more wooded-in. By the cabin (used by trail crew and roving caretaker) there's a map to the three different water sources. And then, in the morning, it's a cakewalk to the top of Avery Peak and then back down all the way on the Firewarden's Trail (unless you take the AT over Little Bigelow, in which case it's a LONG walk to the car :) ).

So my thought would be - see how you feel when you get to Horns Pond. If you go on, you can really relax on day 2 and get home early; but don't go on if you feel unwell, supertired from the long drive up, etc. Enjoy the hike, above all.

I agree with Michael's suggestion but also wanted to add that there is a caretaker at Horns Pond. Seek her out when you get there and inquire about how the water sources up above are doing. If they are dry, I'm sure she will know (either through first hand knowledge or reports from thru-hikers) and you can make your decision then.

Have a great trip! :)
-- Ivy

FWIW, the site in "Bigelow col" is the Avery Tentsite. When I hiked the Firewarden's trail, I found no water after the small brook about 1.8 miles in on the Firewarden's Trail (which we had to follow up about 500 feet to find that water) until just below the col. Both The Horns Pond and Avery Tentsite are high on my places to stay (but The Horns will win for the excellent trout fishing!). On the AT, there is a spring just south of The Horns Pond site on teh AT, but is also is somewhat unreliable. Just a guess, but I think Avery will be less crowded, whereas the thru-hikers will be plentiful at The Horns Pond site.

The Horns Pond and Bigelow Col sites are really nice, unique spots.

Moose Falls is very ordinary. I'd recommend you aim for one of the others.

Updated Beta

I did a little reconnaissance while I was up in this neck of the woods last week (trip report coming).

_ There was not a single soul at Moose Falls Tentsite. There is a privy, two ground spots for tents and two platforms. I couldn't find much water though. You'll want to make sure you bring plenty of water, because you won't want to slog up the steep part to Avery to fill the water bottles. Some pix start here :

_ Avery has four regular-sized tent platforms just below the AT, one larger platform along the AT, and a privy. Inside the privy is a map showing three water sources, but none of them seemed to be offering much while I was there. Again, not a single soul at the tentsite. I didn't spot a caretaker, and the cabin was locked up. Pix start here:

_ Horns Pond Lean-To. Several platforms, two lean-tos (with beautiful views of South Horn), and one mini shelter that seemed to be more for hanging out, socializing than staying over since its three walls are lined with very narrow benches, but the middle goes straight to the ground. The Pond is (natch) a very good source of water. Pix start here:

I'm amazed at how little information there is in the latest edition of the AMC's Maine Mountain Guide, so I hope this information is helpful. Any of these spots would be beautiful to camp at, you just need to be aware of the water situation and prepare -- particularly for Moose Falls and Avery.

Last edited:
Just to clarify ... there is no lean-to at either Avery or Moose Falls, so you need to come prepared with a tent, bivy or hammock. But if you're looking for a getaway, these spots are it! :D

Just want to add when I did the Bigelow triangle, up Firewarden & AT around and down, I recalled no water at Moose Brook, Bigelow col scant. The two lady caretakers are super people that were at the Horns Pond site. Amy (younger, plays a good guitar) & Alice ( an informative expert of the area). What a set-up they have. I came right at changeover. Alice was starting a ten day stretch. Super woman. During the week, it was not that crowded for as spectacular a pond as it is. By the way the extra hundred + foot climb, I think is worth the effort to go to North Horn. Slightly different perspective than South Horn.