Questions about Squam Range in the Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobV

Reaction score
I've hiked, and led hikes on, the Squam Range (Morgan through Doublehead) quite a few times over the past few years. Nice 'easy' hike for beginners, and for a spring warm-up. (and I love the Percival cave in the spring when there's still snow in it!) Now I'm planning to lead a hike there in winter, and have a few questions.

1) Parking: Is the lot at the base of Morgan plowed in the winter? What is the winter parking situation down 113 at the trailhead to Doublehead?

2) The Doublehead trail, and Crawford-Ridgepole trail from Percival to Doublehead, seem to get less usage, and I'm wondering how much travel they see in the winter. Are they likely to be unpacked? Difficult to follow because no one uses them in winter? (I'd hate to climb Morgan, hike over to Doublehead, then have difficulty following the trail down to Rt. 113.)

Thanks for any help and advice,

Bob V

Howdy!

The Morgan trail head is plowed. As far as Double head goes Im not sure.

Last time I was up there(7 or 8 days ago) the trail was broken as far as squam.

I do a fair amount of hiking in the SR as it is not far from my house. If want current conditions before you go on your hike PM me and Ill tell ya what I know.