Questions about Zealand Hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleb

Reaction score
Hi. i have a few questions about the Zealandhut. I've never stayed there, but thought it would make a nice reward destination for non-outdoorsy gf.

Is reservation required for overnight stay?

Is the hut heated at all on the inside?

What is the parking situation off of 302.. I read there were break-ins recently and I'm wondering if this particular spot should be avoided.

Also, If anyone could recommend a nice hotel in the area that would be really cool. The obvious choices of highand center or Mt. Wash hotel are probably too pricey.

Also, while I'm at it, I wonder if anyone has any beta on any tricky river crossings/ice falls along Zealand..I'm a lot more familiar with the southen Pemi.

thanks a bunch! Caleb

You'll definitely need a reservation.
info here
(link to availability and reservations at upper right)

There's a wood stove in the common area, which is fed for part of the day.
It's a big hut, the sleeping areas can get very cold. When I last stayed, there was frost on the walls of my bunk. Maybe not an ideal choice if your GF is "non-outdoorsy".

No water crossings or other hazards to worry about when reaching the hut via Zealand Road. Once there, if you're looking for water and ice then you'll be in the right place: Zealand Falls is spectacular.
The only water crossing in the area I can remember is above the falls, on the AT just west of the hut on the way to Guyot. You should be able to just step over, especially in winter.
Also, if you were considering an approach from the northwest, like via the North Twin Trail, you will find water crossings that are considered difficult. In winter you usually just walk on the ice, but this year who knows? (Those would be rather long routes for a non-hiker in any case.)

Oh, yeah, there's another river crossing at the bottom of the Zeacliff Trail, downstream from the falls. That's a steep trail and not much used in winter, and I haven't been to that crossing myself.

Zealand Hut

The caretaker usually lights the fire in the late afternoon just enough to take the chill off. Bunk rooms get a little heat, but not much. But, the bunk rooms are warmer than Lonesome and Carter Notch because at Zealand they are in the same building, not seperate buildings.

The only thing I know about car breakins is what I have read on this forum.

It's a long walk from Route 302. Better if you skied in. Certainly faster going out.

Most motel options are in Twin Mountain.

Cheapest place is probably Lyons Bunkhouse in Twin Mtn - $18.50 if memory serves. The Shapleigh House at the Highland Center is also a bunkhouse. A bit more - I think it's up to $30 now - but it includes a big breakfast.

Caleb,
We spent last Sat. night at the hut. Caretaker had problems getting stove going due to wet wood. Ovens and 40 people keep main room warm enough. Bunkroom was fine with a zero bag. Bring earplugs; snoring can be loud at time. Snow cover is very thin. We bare booted in. Some skied in 3.5 miles to parking lot just too thin to ski the last 3 miles. See Rickb's trail report regarding road cover or lack of due to melting. We bare booted up to Mt. Zealand, some with crampons. If you only go about half way to Zeacliff, you will have a great view south.
Gary

Think everyone else has answered most of your questions.

Check out this link for local (Twin Mountain) lodging.
http://www.whitemtn.org/htmdocs/lodging/38.htm

The nicest that we have stayed at or visited is the Four Seasons Motor Inn - just around the corner from the Zealand parking area.
http://www.4seasonsmotorinn.com/

You might also consider a nice B&B in Bethlehem, 15 minutes further north.
http://www.whitemtn.org/htmdocs/lodging/5.htm

We spent our first Winter overnight at Zealand Hut over new Years and really enjoyed it. Being a full service hut during the Summer, there is a full kitchen so you can bring just about anything you want for meals and be able to cook it from soup to a roast.

Besides hiking from there to Zealand as as day trip you can also hike to Mt Hale which is closer.

For the non-outdoorsy gf - remember, no running water, out house, you have to go to the pump to bring back water, and the grey water tank to empty (usually a group thing at dinner time) , sleeping in a bunk room with 20 other people (there are two rooms that only sleep 4).

If you decide to go and want any info on what to bring we would be glad to email you the list we put together for our New Years trip.

Thanks for all the help everyone. We're looking forward to our stay at the hut. We'll probalby walk up via th direct route, and then if she's up to it we'll descend via Mt. Hale. thanks again C