Quick Poll - Knives

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Rick

Reaction score
Avon Connecticut Avatar: #46! Haystack summit
Quick question, especially aimed at those "ultra-light" backpacking enthusiasts...I have always carried a knife of some sort when camping, and I have always assumed that everyone else does, too. Is there anyone who doesn't due to weight or other consideration? Just curious.

Thanks!
ADK Rick

I've been through all manner of knives over the years; from forgetting to bring one - to winding up with 3 or 4 in various kits, pouches and multi-tools - to the big "survival" type (a complete waste).
I've settled on a very sharp, small serrated one in my mess kit and a small Swiss Army in my pocket.
(But I still might be able to find a 3rd in there somewhere.)

I carry a box cutter, the thin kind that takes the flat single blade razors. The handle is wrapped w/ duct tape and a few extra blades are in the duct tape windings. Before that I used to carry the small swiss army key chain knife.

I'm not sure I'd carry my "survival" knife if it weren't for its sentimental value but it sure has come in handy. The knife has a six inch blade with a fleur de lis on the handle and I've used it to cut fir boughs for an unintended bivuoac, slice oranges, cut cheese, general cutting and slicing at dinnertime and I once fought off two hungry grizzlies with it :eek: ... OK OK ... just kidding about the grizzlies but it would be the only chance against something like that and a slim one at best.

As for the sentimental part, the knife was given to me many years ago by my Belgian Godmother. Someone who loved her left it to her and the story behind it was that it was taken from the body of a Vichy French Nazi who came up on the short end of hand to hand combat.

For weekend trips I carry a Gerber Ridge Knife. It has a 2” blade and weighs about 1oz. For longer extended trips I carry a leatherman multitool.

I carry a swiss army knife "huntsman" I think. It stays in my brief case so I always know where to find it. The wood saw is great, it will cut through a 2x4 like butter, also works well on skin, I've done a few "Periwinkle's" with it.

When Backpacking I carry a keychain swiss army knife. I find it's enough. Mostly I use the little sissors. I also carry a GI tin can opener if I bring a can of tuna but the new retort packs (like MREs) don't require it. If I need to cut open alot of packages or boxes from food drops I'll add one single edge razor, no box cutter.

When Dayhiking I carry a Climber Swiss Army Knife. I prefer the swiss army knife with a saw (to be able to make a stretcher), but the one I had like that was lost when my pack got stolen.

I find multitools to be too heavy.

Pete_Hickey said:
I suspect that many people with multi-things use one tool almost exclusively.
Most used tool on my SAK? Why, the corkscrew of course. I retired the roach clip when the Beatles broke up. Nowadays I carry a wafer thin pen knife that has Miron Cement printed on it.

I usually carry a small swiss army knife for "just in case" but can't remember ever using it. I also bring a Lexan knife for preparing food.

knife

I always carry this small multi-tool swiss army knife that I hooked onto a carabiner, along with my whistle and compass.

I fall into the same category as Chip. When I was younger it wasn't "if" I was going to carry a knife, it was how many I could fit in my pack and around my belt. I've gone from large Camillus hunting/skinning knives, to homemade knives, to smaller folding knives and have settled on my favorite. The Gerber LST is my knife of choice. The pocket clip is essentially useless, so I took it off. It's light, tough and inexpensive. I've used the same one for probably 6 years now and it's still in great shape.

My every day carry knife is either the LST or the Camillus Heat assisted opening, but it tends to make people jump when I open it, so I don't carry it as often.

leatherman multi-tool

It's a bit on the heavy side compared to others such as swiss army knives but I find I frequently use more than just one tool:
  • The blade is the sharpest I've ever had and holds it's edge;
  • The pliars are great for pinching my gaiter clip closed so it doesn't disconnect from my boot;
  • and the common screwdriver allows me to pry the gaiter clip open later to remove them from my boots!
  • and the scissors are great for cutting moleskin, etc.
I certainly wouldn't want to have to cut my hand off with it though! :eek:

You need a knife in the south...

I do a lot of hiking in the south (NC, VA). I find that a good old Gerber knife scares off the rabid hicks that live in the 'hollers' :eek: (It's a shame that those kind of people get to live near such great mountains).

All kidding aside, I usually have 3-4 kinves with me on a hike and have never really needed one...oh well.

My packs each have a nylon, pocket knife belt sheath. I sew the sheath inside the pack. In them goes the Swiss Army knife my wife got for me when we were first married. :eek: