Race Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainmain

Reaction score
I hiked up Race Brook Trail from Route 41 on Saturday (9:30am). We brought a first time hiker who was at best not in very good shape. We camped at Laurel Ridge Campsite (the old Bear Rock Falls Campsite is closed). The ridgeline walk was a real pleasure. We saw a few people, however, we had the trails pretty much to oursleves. The conditions were ideal all day.

At the campsite, we enjoyed a quiet night amoung friends However, I recently purchased a Kelty 9 x 9 tarp from REI for this trip. Normally I use my two man Kelty Vortex tent, but I offered it up to the newbee. The weather forecast for Sunday was calling for considerable rain and I was very concerned that this shelter would not adequately protect me from the rain. I decided to pitch the selter pretty low to the tent platform to cover as much ground as possible. Thankfully, it worked reasonably well. It started to rain hard when we woke up at about 8:00am. I don't think I will use it again unless rain is very unlikely. I may use it as a cooking shelter in the future.

Our original plan was to hike thru Sages Ravine and up Bear Mountain down to Undermountain trail and out to 41. However, it was painfully obviousl that our friend was not going to enjoy the journey. We opted instead for an old logging road that was a series of switch backs down to route 41. When I was researching this trip I read a few reports about some fatalities that ocurred as a result of people attempting to bushwack down Bear Falls brook (river). Aftering hiking the old logging road, I have trouble understanding why they would not opt for this trail. It was rather easy and harmless. I guess the problem may be that it is not on every map and that it is not easily seen from the AT trail.

All and all a great trip. I plan on getting back to Sage's Ravine this winter.

I'm curious, is the logging road that you followed in the same area on the online map that I previously posted, south of bear rock falls, that shows as a faint black squigle line just above the letters ATC(TATL)?

If so, where does the trail come out on 41, and can you park there?

online map (takes a while to load)

Thanks for any info!!

Logging road

Yes, the road will take you to a dirt road where you will see a few houses. There is an unbelievable house on the right as you come out of the woods. You simple follow the road up the hill and down to route 41. You will pass a business on the right. I know there is plenty of parking there, but I assume it is private property. If you go south on undermountain road for a 1/4 of mile there is a side road (going east). I am sure you can pull your car along side the road there and no one will bother you. I don't think you want to park your car on 41 it is a busy road for the area.

Good luck.