Rain, Snow, Lightning and the Attack Grouse on Rocky Branch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Tuesday

Reaction score
Isolation Attempt #2 (foiled again); Stuck at 47; You can't cross a chasm in two leaps.

Sunday, 11-9-08

Larisa and I set out a few minutes past 7:00 on the Rocky Branch trail after considering a Glen Boulder traverse. The notch was socked in fog and it was super windy. As I am also recovering from a pectoralis strain (formerly and erroneously posted here as a brachial plexar strain), we decided that the gradual ascent of Rocky Branch was a better option given all the days' variables.

We were the first car in the lot, and another car carrying a hiking couple pulled in after us. We set out. It took me a bit for my pain meds to set in. I was slower than usual. Temps were warm, but the sky was ominous.

The drizzly rain began just a bit beyond the dry river wilderness boundary. As did the river. Meaning, the trail became a 6-8in river bed at this point and did not let up for quite some time. We stopped to put on raingear and take out our poles. The other couple passed us.

Less than a half a mile after starting up again, we met a ... companion. We both recognized the grouse from a thread posted here a couple of weeks ago and stopped to take some pictures. We apparently stopped for too long. as we started to head out, the grouse charged aggressively towards my left leg and started pecking at my gaiter quite viciously. (confession: I screamed like a little boy.) I tried to walk away slowly but he continued toward me and attempted to bore into my gaiter.
sufficiently freaked out, we kept on, and were followed by our friend for another 200 yds or so.

It began to snow lightly. Just before approaching the first river crossing larisa saw two bolts of lighting (I'd read on MW obs that there was a slight possibility). We found the couple staring at the crossing. The common route across was impassable. There was a pile of logs that would've done the trick, but all four of us looked at our watches and realized that it had taken us 3 hours to go 3.5 miles, and we weren't even 1/4 way through our day yet. the thought of navigating that river bed of a trail in the dark was unappealing.

We all collectively turned back.

Larisa and I were quite nervous to approach the grouse again. I took off my red rain jacket as I was convinced that this had offended him. as we trepassed upon his territory, we heard that indescribably loud and full flapping-of-wings sound. We. Had. Been. Warned.

as we passed the wilderness boundary the sun came out. alas.

Pictures of the grouse, the rocky branch crossing and the stream-trail:
http://picasaweb.google.com/idramsarg/RockyBranch#

Last edited:
Please, please don't take offense to this, but I find that grouse hysterical. If I met it, I am positive I would react exactly as you did. However, I can't help but be really amused.

Is this grouse some disgruntled, reincarnated old man? I picture the sterotypical "You kids get off my lawn!" guy, waving a cane and whacking folks with it.

I hope your gaiters and leg are okay. Did it do real damage, can you still use the gaiter (and your leg..?).

I'm sorry you couldn't summit today, but of course you did the right thing.

That grouse was psychotic! Seriously, they should post some sort of warning at the trailhead. I didn't ever think I could be so frightened by a (seemingly) cute little bird... when he was chasing us down the trail... oh wow. It was completely unexpected, but at the same time hilarious. Thought I'd pay tribute to the experience with my avatar... ;)

It was great to meet you today. We'll get to Isolation, I know it... third time's the charm. No more Rocky Branch for me anytime soon, though. What a dreadful trail (river??).

Sometimes even the same one, maybe - that Jekyll/Hyde thing.

I think that's the case. I found it to be an absolute gentleman (or lady, whichever may be the case) in June:

mtisolationtrail-2008-0613b.jpg

Cute Grouse

I'm very sympathetic to your plight, as I also am stuck on 47th!
You'll get it!

Julie
Mountain49

Sounds like a tough one. Larisa really likes that mountain ;). Dont get too bummed, if you can wait until we get some snow and good conditions, the winter bushwhack routes are quicker and cut out four crossings.

The funniest part of the post is that you said you screamed "like a little boy". I would have said I screamed like a little girl. Is there some sort of opposite-sex psychology at work here? ;)

Of course, I hope that I wouldn't scream at all if a bird attacked me. If it did, I'd probably just lie in the trip report. :D

The funniest part of the post is that you said you screamed "like a little boy". I would have said I screamed like a little girl. Is there some sort of opposite-sex psychology at work here? ;)

Of course, I hope that I wouldn't scream at all if a bird attacked me. If it did, I'd probably just lie in the trip report. :D

YES! So glad someone picked up on that. I am so tired of the phrase as it is usually stated. Little boys scream too.

And, no shame. I am willing to admit it : )