Rattlesnake Mountain in Rumney, NH ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJH

Reaction score
My brother and I plan on taking my 3 1/2 year old son overnight camping in a couple of weeks. We also plan to do a small hike. Looking at the AMC guide maps I'm thinking of maybe giving the Rattlesnake Mountain trail a shot in Rumney. I'm wondering if anyone whose done this trail can tell me if its very rough or should be relatively easy footing. I found some info about the ice and rock climbing there, but nothing on the actual hiking trail other than from the AMC guide. If it sounds like it may be a little to much for my son, my other option will be the Welch Dickey loop, counterclockwise to the first cliffs but I've done that mountain a couple of times already and am looking for something different.

Last summer my son climbed the Blue Hills in Canton Ma. a few times with relative ease, so with another year under his belt I'm looking to step it up a bit. Thanks for any help. TJH

There's a small section at the end of this trip report from a few years ago. The climb up was surprisingly steep, fairly unrelenting. Nothing that's too difficult, but not a casual walk in the woods There's a tiny amount of rock scramble near the top but it was easy to negotiate. If found it to be a fun hike.

-dave-

You might consider Three Ponds Trail (Just N of Stinson Lake). Pretty easy and there is a shelter 2.3 mi from the trailhead.

edit: Oops--I see Dave's link also describes TPT. Still worth considering...

Doug

Last edited: