Real Men Don’t Wear Skirts! Or Do They??????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite was the young Canadian lad in the green lame′ evening gown at Tuckerman Ravine last summer. My only criticism is that evening wear shouldn’t be worn before 8:00 pm.

If this guy wants to wear a skirt/kilt or whatever he wants to call it, I certainly am not going to argue with him.

:cool:

Moonshine

bryan said:
i think amicus might be remembering "moonshine". an old amc hut crew member.
bryan

I believe that was his handle, now you mention it. He said he was through-hiking, however. They often pitch in with the clean-up in return for food and a roof to flop under, but it did seem unusual that he played a featured role in a couple of skits. He was particularly droll, with his black beard and red plaid kilt, as a Damsel in Distress in a Pythonesque Western skit. Maybe he was a Croo alum who happened to be through-hiking last summer.

I have the Mtn Hardware Mountain Kilt. It rocks. I've dubbed it "my favorite piece of gear." (That's a lofty designation.) Really, it's a skirt, but I have no problems wearing it. Super comfortable and really just more pratical than shorts. I go with boxers briefs underneath while hiking, but usually commando in camp.

Michelle said:
Just remember to sit "properly" when around the campfire!! ;)

This is a hazard of the kilt, but lucky for me most people don't notice. :eek:

Kilt

With a handle like "Mac" whaddya expect me to say. I have hiked, golfed, and competed in the Keppoch kilted ski race, where the starter used her/his ski pole to perform a "kilt check" ascertaining the commando status of the participant. :D

Last year Gorpburp and I hut chatted with a thru hiker at Carter Hut. He was wearing a kilt/wrap kind of thing made from hemp fiber, a wool sweater and was growing macrobiotic sprouts in his nalgenes that were stuffed in a canvas backpack. He had sarted in GA.

He said his wrap was cool and gave him much flexibility, which he demonstrated. He moved like a yoga master.

trailbiscuit said:
Super comfortable and really just more pratical than shorts.

how are they more practical than shorts to you? several others said this too. what's the dealy? i think its great to see people wearing whatever and not caring, but i cannot see how its an improvement?!?! please share!
i usually wear running shorts or cargo shorts both with netting sans underwear. its cool, i can swim and i like having pockets and keeping bugs away. also less material to get caught on stuff.

Bird and I met a couple of 'chicks' on top of Redington in ME wearing dresses a couple of weeks ago. Heinous looking but we had to get some video...
Here it is CHICKS IN DRESSES

the starchild said:
how are they more practical than shorts to you?

Maybe pratical isn't the right word, but they do offer some conveniences. First of all, there is increased airflow, which make them more comfortable. Peeing is easier (I won't go into detail). The biggest convenience is changing: wet boxer briefs off, warm layer on, warm layer off, underwear on - you can do it all standing by the campfire without offending/frightening anyone. It's a nice perk. Plus, you get cat calls from the locals in Palmerton, PA...well, at least I did. ;)

J -- turns out to be a great thread!!

Head, the video had me doubled over!!! If anyone didn't follow the link -- it's CLASSIC Head material!! Too funny!!

As far as the kilt is concerned... I don't see me donning one, but I can understand the airflow advantage. My wife has always said she was more comfortable in skirts and prefers to travel in them -- especially in warmer weather.

Hillwalker -- you changed just for this thread?? :cool:

J&J said:
What do you women think about a guy wearing a kilt?

ROTFLOL! I'd just be hoping for a good gust of wiind!!! :D

J&J said:
What are the advantages of a kilt? What should one wear under a kilt? Boxers, briefs or just go commando?????

I would assume it's about the same as for skirts. My major concern would be dealing with creepy crawly things if going commando.

I've thought about the skirt thing myself, simply because I hate anything that binds. But, most of what's on the market for women right now are skorts, which are simply a pointless fashion statement with extra fabric, IMHO. If I could find a functional skirt, I'd buy up and to he!! with whoever had to follow behind me up a trail. :)

BTW, I think Head needs to be sharing some sports bra intell. :D

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
OK, the airflow thing makes sense, but what is the advantage over just going naked? You get airflow that way too, right?

Very true...but I don't know that i'd even bushwack that way...might get WHACKED....in the wrong place by the wrong bush... :D

M

Head said:
Bird and I met a couple of 'chicks' on top of Redington in ME wearing dresses a couple of weeks ago. Heinous looking but we had to get some video...
Here it is CHICKS IN DRESSES

That is disturbing! I will never look at Redington the same way ever again. They might as well clear cut it all and put up windmills now. :eek:

- darren

darren said:
That is disturbing! I will never look at Redington the same way ever again. They might as well clear cut it all and put up windmills now. :eek:

- darren
:p :p :p

I saw a man out hiking in a kilt. After exchanging hellos I asked, "So... what's under the kilt?"

He just sighed and muttered, "nothing since black fly season."

I'd hike in a kilt or skirt... but I like my cargo pockets too much to give them up.

Cargo kilt... does it exist?

edit: nevermind, saw that the MH skirt has a pocket... humm

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
I'd hike in a kilt or skirt... but I like my cargo pockets too much to give them up.

Cargo kilt... does it exist?

Check out the UTILIKILT

They used to market the 'survival' model by how many cans of beer it could carry. A bit pricey, but hey -you asked..