Red-lining Contest, Spring 2011 Edition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Over Memorial Day weekend, while hiking two NH4s for the 18th time, I was able to red-line 3+ miles of trails in the WMNF (every little bit helps for my red-lining list :) ).

For a Pemi Pale Ale (draft at Woodstock Station), name the two peaks, the two trails (1.0 +/- 0.1 mi and 2.0 +/- mi), and one trail segment (0.3 mi).

John (from J&J, famous first couple to complete THE GRID) has won my last two red-lining contests, but can anyone prevent a three-peat?

Here's my bid to maintain my streak:
Passaconaway/Whiteface
Tom Wiggin trail - 1.1m
Kelley trail - 2.0m
Lawrence trail segment - .3m

198 views, but after 36 hours, only one reply. And, that reply from John (of J&J fame) is completely correct for his third win in a row. Three Pemi Pale Ale's is not exactly at the level of Ken Jennings' winnings, but John is definitely on a roll with my red-lining contests.

My trip report for Sunday's hike is fairly mundane, as the "unstable" snow rails were gone, although the trails were wet with fog, which hung around until late afternoon when the mosquitoes came out of hiding near the bottom of the Kelley Trail. There were a few blow downs on the Walden Trail, but nothing too onerous for navigation. The Kelley Trail follows "underfit" (geomorphology term) Kelley Brook, which was much larger when glacial Lake Albany to the north drained through a spillway at Paugus Pass around 12-14,000 years ago. The upper part of the Kelley Brook valley was scoured to bedrock by these larger discharges; about half way down, a steep section bottoms out in a plunge pool. Doing this loop CW was the way to go, as the Tom Wiggin Trail is steep so better for me going up. Ditto for me going up rather than down the Blueberry Ledge Trail, although I met someone coming down who said that she perfers that over going up so that she can slide down the steep ledges, especially when they are wet.

At about 12.5 miles, this loop was my longest hike since the beginning of April after spending over six months on DL with a lower back disk rupture. But, so far, so good, as I have avoided surgery, and not even taken any cortisone shots. :)

I'm working on a six pack Thom!

The top of the Kelley trail is one of the coolest trails in the Whites. It would have been nice to hike that one with a geologist. Know any? :D

It's good to see you back on the trails!

John