Reddington/ Sugarloaf-Spaulding -Abraham

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
Stevehiker and myself will be heading up to Maine again in the continuting quest to finish the NE 67 this year. We are meeting Alpinista at the entrance to the Abraham Fire Wardens Trail (near the 16/27 Junction) at 8:30 AM (she is already there doing the Bigelows today). Steve and I are leaving Portsmouth exit 3 park and ride at 5:30 AM, on Saturday morning, August 20th. We'll probably be spending Saturday night in one of the local motels and heading back on Sunday. We'll do Reddington first, then drive over to Sugarloaf, go up the ski trail, then go along the AT and out the Abraham fire wardens trail, where the plan is for Alpinista to spot her car. Bit of last minute here but things were not finalized until yesterday.

If you want to join us send a PM or post here.

How are you doing Redington? If from CVR Why not go up the AT to Sugarloaf?

IMO This would be better than having to drive around, I think the AT option starts higher too but I base this just from drivng there on Wednesday not from trail maps or topo maps.

CVR was in bad shape in 1997 so my rental car was not going to make the AT & I had to go up the ski slopes. The climb was miserable & I'm trying to never have to do this again on any ski mountain. only advantage going up Sugarloaf ski trails is being able to turnaround & see Bigelows anytime you get tired.

The main reason is that we only have one vehicle capable of getting to the AT crossing on CVR, unless we can find someone else on such short notice. My jeep has already done it once, Tony's Saturn and Alpinista's VW are just not up to it.

So if we went the AT way, someone (namely me) would have to walk back down a good portion of CVR probably in the dark, and then drive out in the dark. I'd almost rather spend the day at work than do that.

on a slightly different topic, you had said that the register was full. Should we bring something to replenish it with?

The second to last bridge heading into the Abraham Firewarden's trail was a bit of a challange in an Outback earlier this year. If you park before the double bridges it adds about 1/2 mile each way.

-dave-

Dave,

Is that an extra 1/2 mile over and above the 4.5 from the summit to trailhead?

Or is it simply not being able to cut off that 1/2 mile by driving past the trailhead?

thanks

Clayton and I hiked Redington, Sugarloaf, Spaulding, Abram, Saddleback and Horn last weekend.....It is so beautiful up there. Redington is extremely easy to get to if you park about a mile past the AT crossing on CVR and follow the old skidder roads out to the peak. We got it bagged in just shy of two hours. I know everybody has their own feelings on camping but if you are not completely opposed to the idea Deer Farm Campground in Kingfield is a nice place. That is where we stayed, it is very quiet (didn't hear one small child the whole two nights we were there) the showers are very clean and the couple that own it are very, very nice.
As of last weekend the raspberry bushes along CVR were overwhelmed with fruit and the blueberries just below the Abram summit were just about ripe. I hope you have a great hike ! !

P. S. although the condition of CVR is getting worse (even since our last trip up in June) I had the only truck parked at the AT parking area, all the other vehicles that day were sedans. It is definitely possible to make it up with a car right now but there are many spots that require some slow going. Good Luck. Have fun.!

For what its worth, my recommendation for hiking the ski-area side of the Loaf is to go up the machine access trail from just above the SuperQuad chairlift. If you get a ski-area trail map its marked "Binder"....pretty moderate pitch up the west side of the mountain, well maintained, good views of the Bigelows when you turn around and you'll avoid hiking through thigh-high grass on the other trails. BTW, they have a trail run up this trail every fall on Columbus Day weekend. Whatever you do avoid the East side and Central mountain.....these are the steepest trails on the mountain.