REI Half Dome 2 Tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proszach

Reaction score
Thinking bout picking this tent up this weekend, as it's currently 30% off. I would only use it for 3 seasons obviously, but does anyone have any positive or negative things to say about this particular model??? My pops has a similiar Kelty and it has worked fine for us in the past...

A friend bought one a few years back and I stayed in it, car camping a few nights. A little bulky and heavy by backpacking standards, its no where near ultra light. That said, it's nicely detailed and well designed. The two doors make it a comfortable two person tent. For the full price she paid I thought it was a good deal.

I would feel OK about using it below treeline in the 4th season though I would expect some frosting on the interior.

I’ve had one for two years. It’s a good tent, dry and comfortable. I later got a Tarptent for backpacking and now only use the Half Dome for year round car camping.

I have one and to be honest I never noticed anything about it at all which I guess you could say is one of the best compliments you can give a piece of gear. It is nothing facy, it just works It has never succumbed to the wind (this includes setting it up somewhere between the summits of Clay and Washington which was prob one of the dumbest things in the world to do but her I lived). I have never had even a drip of water on me, and the ventilation is awsome not to mention the fact that there are 2 doors for easy access. You also cannot beat the fact that if anything ever goes wrong with it you can return it. Believe me I used to work at REI in customer service and we had some crazy returns....

got it. love it.

I have one and I really like it. In this day and age of ultralight gear, I find it funny that people say it is too bulky to take backpacking. What does it weigh, 5.5 pounds? A 5.5 pound tent is not unbearable. I even heard someone say the 8 oz tent footprint wasn't worth the weight to bring backpacking. I have backpacked with this tent (and the footprint) and found that it has quite a good bank-for-the-buck ratio. Nice and spacious for one person, two can fit but I've never tried. The gearloft and see-thru pockets are handy. At $109, plus $17 for the footprint, it is an awesome deal.

And as a disclaimer, I've never worked for REI.

I have a slightly older model. I love it and it is the only tent I take backpacking. The first time I used it, my hiking partner and I got stuck in a snowstorm. Both of us are 6'+. With both of us eating and sleeping in the tent I expected it to frost over, but it didn't. It is slightly heavier than I would like, but has been absolutley fantastic. If you are looking for a lighter model, REI also makes the quarterdome. It is slightly smaller and therefore lighter, but not nearly the bargain the Halfdome is.

Sounds good guys, thanks for the feedback. Guess I know where Wednesday's paycheck is going :D