REI has Garmin 62stc on sale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like the 62 series is being discontinued and REI is unloading their stock of 62stc's. (The replacement 64 series adds a GLONASS (Russian equivalent of GPS) receiver to the GPS (USA) receiver.)

While the 62 series uses a different GPS chipset than the 60 series, the receiver performance is pretty similar. The 62 series also has a 3-axis magnetic compass (the 60 series is 2-axis).

The user interfaces also have some differences--some to the better and some to the worse, IMO.

The 60CSx and the 62s are pretty similar in features and the 62stc adds 100K US topos (t) and a 5MP camera (c). Some reviewers of the camera were not impressed (ie don't expect it to be a good substitute for a decent P&S). The topo is locked to the GPS.

See https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/discontinued/gpsmap-60csx/prod310.html and https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/gpsmap-62stc/prod89557.html for details. There are also a number of comparisons available: see http://www.google.com/search?ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&source=hp&q=garmin+60+vs+62

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug. I was hoping you would answer.
IIRC, you have a 60CSx.
IMO, if one already has a 60CSx, then there isn't much to be gained by switching to a 62stc unless one needs one of the new features.

FWIW, I have both a 60CSx and a 62s (bought on a clearance sale). I normally use the 60CSx...

Doug

Yes, I do have the 60CSx. But it doesn’t work with the Windows 7 computer; I always have to drag the old XP out of the crawl space to transfer tracks or do anything with the GPS.

The GPS and the newer computer did work together for a while, but since something in the computer was replaced (because the thing was always shutting itself off for no reason — I don’t remember what it was that was replaced, now), the two haven’t worked together. That is, the computer doesn’t recognize the GPS. It tells me that the two aren’t compatible, or that there is a known problem, or something, then tells me to search for a cure. That’s real helpful.

Plus, the GPS still shuts itself off every now and then for no apparent reason. I tried your suggestion of cleaning the batteries’ contacts, and that has improved the situation, but not cured it.

Also, the GPS is 6½ years old and pretty beat up, the price seemed right for the 62stc, so I thought getting it might simplify things. If it works with the computer, that is.

Not sure I really want to spend the money, though, even at half price.

I did read that the 62 had a problem of losing altitude accuracy any time a button was pushed. I assume that’s been cured by now.

Last edited:
Yes, I do have the 60CSx. But it doesn’t work with the Windows 7 computer; I always have to drag the old XP out of the crawl space to transfer tracks or do anything with the GPS.

The GPS and the newer computer did work together for a while, but since something in the computer was replaced (because the thing was always shutting itself off for no reason — I don’t remember what it was that was replaced, now), the two haven’t worked together. That is, the computer doesn’t recognize the GPS. It tells me that the two aren’t compatible, or that there is a known problem, or something, then tells me to search for a cure. That’s real helpful.
I can't help you with MS OSes. The 60CSx works with MapSource*, but I don't know if it works with BaseCamp. (The 62s requires BaseCamp.) And you may need to install drivers. Sometimes one can find a solution to a problem by using a search engine to find someone else who has had the problem and maybe even solved it. (Does your USB port work with other devices?)

* Garmin claims MapSource works with "IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later operating system."

Plus, the GPS still shuts itself off every now and then for no apparent reason. I tried your suggestion of cleaning the batteries’ contacts, and that has improved the situation, but not cured it.
Did you also try putting tape on the batteries so they do not slide in the battery holders when the GPS is bounced around?

Also, the GPS is 6½ years old and pretty beat up, the price seemed right for the 62stc, so I thought getting it might simplify things. If it works with the computer, that is.

Not sure I really want to spend the money, though, even at half price.
Your choice. My 60CSx is 8 years old(!), in good condition, and still going strong.

I did read that the 62 had a problem of losing altitude accuracy any time a button was pushed. I assume that’s been cured by now.
I vaguely recall such a problem--my guess is that pressing on a button flexes the case and changes the air pressure on the barometric altitude sensor. If so, it may still be there (unless Garmin redesigned the case). I also read a 60CSx vs 62s comparison earlier today and a recorded track showed some sizable glitches in the altitude track for the 62s. (No explanation given.)

Doug

According to Garmin, I cannot use their maps for my trip to the GR 11 in the Spanish Pyrenees in my MAP60csx, but would need to upgrade to the 62. I located free maps for the GR 11 for my 60csx but they are pretty poor. The poster who mentioned that they cannot use the 60 with Win 7. Something is wrong, as I use the combo all the time. I have Mapsource as well as Basecamp and they both work well, although I prefer Mapsource. I love my 60csx and see no reason to upgrade at this time. That little gem took me through 215 miles of remote "wilderness" of Northwestern Scotland by following the route I laboriously pre-programmed on my laptop at home using only a description of the route from a ten year old guidebook containing only sketch maps and route descriptions. At that time I had a Western Scotland chip in the 60 that I purchased from Memorymap. Several times in hill fog my trace on the GPS took me through mountain passes that otherwise would have been risky since there was no trail underfoot. The entire 300 miles is located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFLCeilxD9g&list=PLok2ni-4nDqdMvKMdLx34uJgd6QR0QUBO

I was over this for a while with Garmin, changing permissions and all that stuff, uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and the GPS just isn’t seen by Windows except for the ‘‘known compatibility issues’’ warning. Garmin even offered to trade me a refurbished one for my old one and $100. Probably should have done it.

Haven’t tried reinstalling the software again in a while, though.

The USB ports are fine. I just used them to transfer some more songs onto my MP3 player.

Last edited:
I know this will just tempt the electronic Murphy to announce itself - but my 60CSx gets used every so often the button titles are wearing off.
Works perfectly with Win 7 ( fingers crossed as I write this ). What's more troubling is Nat'l Geo discontinuing it's TOPO ! software and support last year. For me, the interface between the GPS and NG software has been close to flawless for a long time.
At Doug Paul's suggestion, I bought a second 60CSx that was on deep sale as a backup years ago. DP actually called me from the store to tell me there was another CSx there, on sale and likely had the SirfStar chipset. Still owe DougPaul a tip of the hat for the heads up. When the existing, overused and beat up CSx bites the dust, the other one comes in behind it.

Garmin even offered to trade me a refurbished one for my old one and $100. Probably should have done it.
Ask again--perhaps they still will do it. Or you might be able to get one used. (There are a number of fans who have to have the latest--just like iPhones...)

BTW, the battery holders in the 62 series hold the batteries much more securely than those in the 60 series.

Doug

Last edited:
Works perfectly with Win 7 ( fingers crossed as I write this ).
MapSource works well enough for me in the Wine emulator. (BaseCamp doesn't run under Wine so far.) Both run well enough on XP-SP3 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, but I haven't fully tested interaction with the GPS. Wine and VirtualBox allow me to make multiple copies and clones of existing machines so I can experiment without risking a working copy.

I also use GPSBabel to transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks to and from the Linux host machine. (GPSBabel, MapSource, and BaseCamp all read and write .gpx files.)

(MapSource builds maps into a tmp-file and then copies the file to the GPS very slowly. One can speed the process up by copying the completed tmp-file, aborting the transfer, and then manually copying the tmp-file to the memory card. The file name must be Garmin\gmapsupp.img for the 60CSx (only this file will be seen by the GPS) and Garmin\<filename>.img for the 62 series (multiple filenames allowed--I use names describing the map).)

What's more troubling is Nat'l Geo discontinuing it's TOPO ! software and support last year. For me, the interface between the GPS and NG software has been close to flawless for a long time.
I bought the pre-internet version (the maps are on the CDROMs/DVDs), it will live forever (or as long as I want it...). It also runs under Wine (and likely under the VMs) but I haven't tried it. It also reads and writes .gpx files.

At Doug Paul's suggestion, I bought a second 60CSx that was on deep sale as a backup years ago. DP actually called me from the store to tell me there was another CSx there, on sale and likely had the SirfStar chipset. Still owe DougPaul a tip of the hat for the heads up. When the existing, overused and beat up CSx bites the dust, the other one comes in behind it.
I also bought a spare (before I called anyone else... :) ). The new one also has some improvements: increased battery life and it can use lithium batteries.

Newer GPS receivers may have different (hopefully improved...) features and user interfaces and better accuracy through multiple GNSS systems (eg GPS, GLONASS, Galileo) and/or multiple frequencies (two or more of L1, L2, and L5), but the current 60CSx and 62 series are good enough for hikers in pretty much any likely situation.

Doug

Last edited:
... FWIW - I have a 60CSx (same as DougPaul's) but almost never carry it any more because now that I have an Android phone with the free rmaps app, I can download any topo/aerial/whatever of the 50-100 map choices available (I download ahead of time) and track my location on that as I go using the phone's gps...

(I have not played with putting the hiking-specific WMNF trail maps on it, but, the topos are good enough for me most of the time)

Last edited:
... FWIW - I have a 60CSx (same as DougPaul's) but almost never carry it any more because now that I have an Android phone with the free rmaps app, I can download any topo/aerial/whatever of the 50-100 map choices available (I download ahead of time) and track my location on that as I go using the phone's gps...

(I have not played with putting the hiking-specific WMNF trail maps on it, but, the topos are good enough for me most of the time)

I just gave up my antique flip phone and got a used android (casio comando c771). Normally i use my old heavy 76CS gps which i originally used for sailing. Where do you download the free trail maps from for the andoid and what app do you to track with?

I just gave up my antique flip phone and got a used android (casio comando c771). Normally i use my old heavy 76CS gps which i originally used for sailing. Where do you download the free trail maps from for the andoid and what app do you to track with?

Hi! Go to the adroid apps store (best to be in wifi mode) and search for RMaps... download that and open it up... from there, go to "Maps" and look at the choices - USA topo maps is good.... when you have a signal. if you think you will be out of range, go to the "more" button and "Make available offline" to save the map and use in airplane mode (to save battery)....

Play with RMaps - very cool!!!! You can save your tracks also.

When I was choosing Android vs iphone, I found no equivalent app on the iPhone

FYI, the app I use on iPhone is called Gaia GPS. It's REALLY good. Sounds like it works pretty much exactly the same as the one Becca M uses. It is $20. I know people who use various free versions to good effect, but Gaia gets such good reviews online from sources I trust that I decided to make the (very small) investment.

The smartphone apps are poorly suited to winter use though, relative to a dedicated GPS, in my experience.

The smartphone apps are poorly suited to winter use though, relative to a dedicated GPS, in my experience.

I haven't had a problem in winter conditions, but, I do carry backups (map/compass/altimeter) just in case. Plus, if I really feel iffy, I can load stuff into my dedicated gps (haven't felt the need in a few years tho).

I should have clarified that (IMO) the SMARPHONE is the problem, not the app, in winter - batteries and durability being the main issues. I don't want to drift too much, but my phone stops working around 10 degrees unless I keep it warm. Which means I need to keep it in a plastic bag in my pocket, which I don't like doing since I'm afraid I'll break it. And then there's the issue of needing to take gloves off to operate the touch screen. I actually don't own a dedicated GPS as M&C has always been my go to when conditions get bad, but I expect a dedicated GPS handles these issues better.

Hi! Go to the adroid apps store (best to be in wifi mode) and search for RMaps... download that and open it up... from there, go to "Maps" and look at the choices - USA topo maps is good.... when you have a signal. if you think you will be out of range, go to the "more" button and "Make available offline" to save the map and use in airplane mode (to save battery)....

Play with RMaps - very cool!!!! You can save your tracks also.

When I was choosing Android vs iphone, I found no equivalent app on the iPhone

Thanks. Based on another post i'll probably use both it and my gps until i get confidence in it. Also prob have to still use my gps for winter for the touch screen reason. On my gps i hit the buttons with the more pointy end of my pole handles.

I'm pretty happy with my smartphone (a motorola) in winter - used it at resorts when snowboarding... I keep it in a pants or chest pocket, tho!!! Battery life in airplane mode when hiking is exceptional - far better than my gps...of course I cannot replace the batteries like in my gps!!! (I have heard some iphones do not have great battery life, however).