REI Members?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt-

Overall it is a great experience. I do find that their off the counter prices are a bit steep (comapred to a lot of online places) but they often run sales and promotions that are great. Twenty percent sales happen a few times per year (some of these are member only) and the dividend program is good, particularly if you spend a lot. You can also pick up a ton of dividend $$ by using their VISA card. Another plus is that it only costs $15 to join and that is a one time charge - not annual.
I think I need to go by some gear...ah, the dangers of being 5 miles from an REI :p

Great!

I use the credit card for all my automated bill payments, and as a result can get a significant rebate at the end of the year (always at least a hundred dollars). The sales, and the once-a-year 20% coupon, are well worth it. REI doesn't always have the best prices, but wise shopping there can be worth it, especially with the co-op membership.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.
Sapblatt, you bring up an important point-proximity to an actual REI outlet. Here in NY's Hudson Valley, I'm nowhere near one. Do you (or does anyone else) think it would still be worth it for someone who would only be shopping online?

Matt

reioutlet.com has some really good deals from time to time and if you hit it lucky in the size. You can pick up name gear at a good price on the outlet oftentimes. Rei is always a good site just to look at gear and compare it to other makes. REI stores vary from area to area in how good a selection they have. The one in Alb, NM is way better than the one in Phil. Although the new one in Marllton, NJ is nice.

I have been an REI member since the late 70's and until they had the store in New Rochelle (now closed), purchased only online and have found it to be worthwhile.
As others have stated, prices are not always great but you have to allow for the 10% rebate when comparing. I try take advantage of their sales, but there is no rebate on sale items. Their Visa card when used for purchases get you the full 10% (otherwise it's 2% I think). This year, I was hard pressed to find a use for my rebate. She who must be obeyed questions the need for a fourth tent, (or would it be a fifth?), but had no issues with me getting a Jetboil to replace the pepsi stove.

I would say if your buying enough to cover the fee for the first two years, go for it and sign-up for e-mail notification of sales.

Jim

Rei

I just joined REI because the $15 was covered by the discount when buying a pair of ice axes. Before that, I bought a TON of stuff from REIoutlet.com. The discount doesn't apply there, so it made no difference.

What I have found is that if you're willing to wait a bit, you can get great gear buys from the outlet. Just hit it once a day & see what the 'deal of the day' is. That's usually a significant discount & over the course of a year, just about everything will show up on it. I'd guess 3/4 of my gear's come from reioutlet.com & most of that by waiting for it to become a deal of the day.

Of course, I suffer from being a year behind current fashion and must hike in last years colors - a terrible thing.

Rei

I have had great experiences with REI.

I have been ordering online for the past two years and have been satisifed with the gear guides online and customer service on the phone.

In addition to the discount and dividend benefits people mentioned, I must also mention their unconditional return policy! It is amazing! Returns with REI have been the easiest I have ever done.

I'm not a big fan of REI, plain and simple. They do have great selection and their stores are huge and chocked full, but their prices are generally full retail, which usually is a major rip off. I looked into their Visa card, but could do much better with a "cash rewards" card from a major CC company - and then I had the cash to spend anywhere. Also, my gripe with their website is that there is no free shipping, no matter what the amount spent, and returns / exchanges without a receipt are a major hassle unless you can clearly identify the purchaser. EMS is no hassle, and that's why I prefer them - no games or gimmicks. Sure they don't have the breadth of product so I guess that's a trade off. (No, I don't work for EMS)

Someone let me know if I'm incorrect on any of these critiques.

Last edited:
Jasonst said:
EMS is no hassle, and that's why I prefer them - no games or gimmicks. Sure they don't have the breadth of product so I guess that's a trade off. (No, I don't work for EMS)

Someone let me know if I'm incorrect on any of these critiques.

I like REI and I am a happy member, but I do not think you are off base at all...I have not had many return issues with REI but I would agree that EMS is unreal in that department. I broke a 5+ year old trekking pole on Mount Washington last year and they fixed if for no charge. I also find that a lot of their store brand gear (especially backpacks) seem to be a lot better...well, at least in my opinion. As others said...paying full retail on most of this stuff is crazy...there are better options.

Rei

REI rocks.

Basically, you're getting 10% off any full price purchase. If you have found it cheaper elsewhere or at REI outlet, all the better. Shipping to store (a few hundred yards from my door) has eliminated all shipping charges for me. They have always handled any returns just great for me, but then I don't bring back old gear years later.

Where else can I buy online gear that is unavailable locally, knowing if it doesn't fit or is otherwise unsatisfactory, I can return it to the store, having paid/lost absolutely nothing?

EMS is fine too, and I haven't found their everyday prices (full retail) to be any different from REI. I notice that EMS has begun shipping to store for free as well. These really are good times for gear seekers.

Last edited:
I have been a member for a while and I'm quite pleased with the overall experiences. I also agree with Jasonst, the credit card really isn't a worthwhile deal.
However, between the rebates, the garage sales (if you can get to one), the outlet, and the customer service, I think it's an overall fair deal.
I have purchased on line without any problems and agree about their shipping costs...cut me a deal on shipping if I spend a hundred, or even better...Free shipping for REI members.
The one thing I would like to mention about the prices is that they offer a lot of free clinics and workshops. Basic business says that nothing really is free, so all the little perks, whether you use them or not, increase the cost to operate.
Ease of return is also a factor. I haven't returned anything purchased on line, but I recently brought back a pair of gaiters with a broken zipper that I bought in November. Dan, the manager at the Reading, MA store, gave me full credit with no problems.
In the end, I'd give them thumbs up.
Bill

REI membership bonus:

I replaced my crampons recently and found out that summithaus.com gives a discount to REI members. Even on a sale item.

I get most of my REI rebate using my REI Visa card... If you buy anything from REI-Outlet, it doesn't count to your rebate so if you're getting an REI member just for the dividend, don't expect much if you're like me. If I ever buy anything from REI, I typically would from the outlet store, therefore my REI membership is worthless. However, if you have an REI Visa, then at least you can use it on all purchases with the VISA card. But then again, I believe a card like the Discover card gives you cash back that is equal to the divident percentage you get at REI. However, the REI visa is a good excuse for gear cause obviously, the REI dividend is good only at REI. so "Honey, I have to buy those snowshoes because the dividend is only good there would be valid" Discover card would not apply!!!

P.S. There used to be an REI in New Rochelle NY, but they went under. So the nearest one to you I think is the one by Philadelphia. And there is a new one in Marlton, which is by Cherry Hill, NJ but both of them have got to be about 3 hours away from you. The only REI I've ever been to was in Anchorage, Alaska.

Jay

I have good experiences at both REI and EMS. I seem to prefer REI due to the availability of product in the store versus EMS. I also like their dividend check I receive every year, which always seems to be used for some important item I just "have to have". Service is good too. The only drawback is their are only a few around the New England area and none in NH. Reading, MA is a drive, especially if you happen to go on a weekday due to the traffic hassles. I have returned items to REI.Com without hassles. I find their employees generally very helpful.

EMS is OK, but the customer service at EMS always seems to be lacking something :( . Their draw for me is it is only 10 minutes away, and they have most of what you need. But the prices are full retail, generally.

The REI.com and EMS.com have sales that are generally good, especially if your not a "fashionista" and don't mind hiking in last years colors! :)

Last edited:
I do like MichaelJ and funnel most of my bills through my REI card.

When members are getting 20% off any one full price item. If you buy your membership for $15, at the same time buy the item, apply the 20% off coupon for members. Effectively your membership is free.

I've never had any problem finding what to do with my rebate. I usually rack it up during the year and apply the rebate against items that are already on sale. I always ship my items directly to the store and get free shipping. As for returns, I've never had ANY issues with REI. I drive by the Reading store twice every day (dangerous).

BTW, there will be a storewide 20% off sale in early May (not sure if this is only the Reading store or nationwide).

Last edited:
yea - its worth it for the 20% coupon per year for a big item- I typically only buy climbing gear at REI. I feel they tend to have a better selection than EMS in this department and climbing gear is pretty much the only gear I pay full price for.

for example - got 40 bucks of a rope this year with the 20% - even if you were just to join - you would pay 15 and save 40 on one purchase.

but like others - I pretty much never buy clothes, or non-climbing gear there unless a real sweet deal. I do like ems clothing better for the most part.

jbreen said:
I have been an REI member since the late 70's and until they had the store in New Rochelle (now closed), purchased only online and have found it to be worthwhile.
Wait!? I thought Al Gore discovered the internet in the late 80's or something.

Oh, and I have an REI and an EMS and a BOB Smith's (local hiking store) around me. REI seems to have the most urban stuff & not hardcore hiking but I understand this is mostly for the Boston store. EMS is ok but I generally prefer buying from Campmor. Bob Smith's has some good stuff but for some really hardcore things I'll usually order from Moosejaw.com. They seem somewhat disorganized and annoyingly cheerful but I find you almost can't beat them in terms of selection.

-Dr. Wu

mcorsar said:
Thanks for the quick responses, guys.
Do you (or does anyone else) think it would still be worth it for someone who would only be shopping online?

Matt

I do much of my shopping online and I've made some purchases from the REI website. I thought their web page and service were both excellent. The merchandise was of good quality. :)