Rescue on Algonquin 5/19/07 (?)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrown

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the rescue on Algonquin this weekend? I was in the parking lot by the information center when I saw a ranger loading the litter on her back, and then talked to her for a few minutes about it after she returned and sat outside the information center listening to her radio. Details were sketchy at the time, and all I knew was that a young lady took a spill, injured her leg and was being carried out by Rangers and a group of our dear French Canadian friends who jumped in to help. (God bless them!)

I don't know where to look for info on rescues, so I thought someone else might be able to help.

As a side note, I met more friendly and pleasant people this weekend on the trail than I think I have in all my years hiking combined. I had so many mini-conversations that had me cracking up while everyone on the mountain knew that I was looking for my friends and everyone was helping me look.

Thanks to all!!!

(And a special thanks to Scott, Greg, Megan and Shannon. Great day!!!)

Helicopter flew over at around 6pm. Someone told me that someone had been air lifted off Algonquin. Don't know anything more.

Look on this website: http://www.wnbz.com/main.htm -- scroll down and you'll see information on the rescue. There was another rescue mentioned on this website a couple days earlier -- check the archives and go back a few days...

Bob

Yup, that's the one, RDL. Thanks.

I'm actually surprised there weren't more injuries. There were some very sketchy sections that people were ascending by grabbing onto vegetation and hauling themselves up. I'm still amazed every time I see people hiking in sneakers, cotton shorts and t-shirts, and a Nalgene bottle clipped to a belt loop. I saw a guy dressed like that slogging through snow, post-holing some of the time...I don't get it.

jbrown said:
Yup, that's the one, RDL. Thanks.

I'm actually surprised there weren't more injuries. There were some very sketchy sections that people were ascending by grabbing onto vegetation and hauling themselves up. I'm still amazed every time I see people hiking in sneakers, cotton shorts and t-shirts, and a Nalgene bottle clipped to a belt loop. I saw a guy dressed like that slogging through snow, post-holing some of the time...I don't get it.

All I can say is I use to be that guy in the cotton shirt :confused: I have learned a lot in the past 15 years and dont leave home without my duofold now :) Just takes some people longer to figure it out. I have learned more about hiking on the forums than anywhere else.

Adam

jbrown said:
I'm still amazed every time I see people hiking in sneakers, cotton shorts and t-shirts, and a Nalgene bottle clipped to a belt loop. I saw a guy dressed like that slogging through snow, post-holing some of the time...I don't get it.

IMO, all you need to have fun when hiking is a brain and a pair of legs (with feet attached).

I know a crazy lunatic man who can hike 4k's with no boots at all. Another one decided to hike some Presidentials in winter wearing jeans, no face mask, no goggles. They both have years and years of outdoors experience, and they did some amazing hikes and insane bushwhacks, all over the United States.

I like to see more of these people on the trails, they prove that not all hikers have been brainwashed by fashion and marketing, or worst : insecurity.

To those who thinks extra gear is saving them from being injured, I say well good for you. I'd rather use that money to hike more, drive further, go more often.

I wonder how "immobile" his knee was. It's kind of amazing how they call in a helicopter whenever someone gets hurt. Doesn't anyone believe in self-rescue any more? Seems like the kind of injury one could splint up and hobble out, but I guess I don't know the extent. I do know that my mom hiked down from Algonquin last year from nearly the top with a broken leg! Who is paying for the helicopter?

-percious

percious said:
I Who is paying for the helicopter?
I'm not sure how it is for the rescues, but in many cases helicopters for the DEC are sort of free. Pilots need to maintain a certain number of hours/month to keep their certification. Rather than maintaining their hours by going up and flying in circles, they do more productive things. At least this is how it is with supply drops. I don't remember if they are police, army, whatever pilots.

Pete_Hickey said:
I'm not sure how it is for the rescues, but in many cases helicopters for the DEC are sort of free. Pilots need to maintain a certain number of hours/month to keep their certification. Rather than maintaining their hours by going up and flying in circles, they do more productive things. At least this is how it is with supply drops. I don't remember if they are police, army, whatever pilots.

True that, but helicopters are not cheap to maintain! I think it is great that helicopter pilots would donate their time and operation costs to a noble effort, I guess I just expect a little more self-reliance out of the average hiker.

-percious

percious said:
I guess I just expect a little more self-reliance out of the average hiker.
If I had a very bad injury, I might ask myself (if I could) if it was better to wait for rescue to come to me, rather than risk further injury crawling, hobbling out and falling again, etc. If I was with others, I would hope that we could make the right decision as a group. Not everyone hikes in a group. The guy who broke his leg in South America (touching the Void?) had to get himself out because he knew no one would ever find him before he died. That's motivational! :eek:

Timmus: It's not always about fashion. The correct gear for the conditions can make a big difference. Cotton may not literally kill, but it can turn a tolerable day with the right clothing into a miserable one. And I'm not sure if a new pair of hiking pants is more expensive than designer jeans! :eek: :D

timmus said:
To those who thinks extra gear is saving them from being injured, I say well good for you. I'd rather use that money to hike more, drive further, go more often.
The weight of the extra gear may actually increase the chance of an injury (fatigue, etc), but that same extra gear can become very useful after the injury. Been there, done that (after carrying the "extra" gear for many miles and not using it)....

Doug

Ok, there's a difference between "extra" gear and proper gear. You put that guy in a cotton shirt, shorts, no socks, Reeboks and a 1 qt water bottle on the trail next to me in my boots, wool socks, synthetic clothing, and pack with at least the 10 essentials on a day like this past Saturday. Then drop the temperature 15 degrees and add some freezing rain along with 30 mph winds, and let's see who goes hypothermic first.

Hey, it took me a little time to learn how to dress to stay alive, but I don't ever remember a time when I looked at the highest mountains in the state and thought to myself, "Heck, I think I'll climb one of those in the same thing I wore to the mall."

With respect to Timmus' point, having the common sense and forethought to carry essential gear is not having been
brainwashed by fashion and marketing, or worst : insecurity.
, it's...uh...having common sense and forethought, and being therefore, self-reliant.

Granted, those people Timmus mentioned have survived this long in the manner described, but I still have the memory of one hike up Wright when my cousin wore a long-sleeve cotton shirt that ended up getting soaked in sweat. My "extra" gear saved him from going completely hypothermic because he stupidly left his jacket back at the lean-to thinking that he wouldn't need it because it was 65 degrees at Marcy Dam. It was about 50 degrees with 20-30 mph winds at the summit of Wright.

jbrown said:
having common sense and forethought, and being therefore, self-reliant.

And neither common sense or forethought are pieces of clothing or gear. :D