Reservations in Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
I would like to reserve two cabins sleeping 8 people for seven nights in either Kidney or Daicey Pond CGs during a period of one month (say June 2010). I am not a resident of Maine. I don't care what dates in June 2010 as long as I get the two cabins in the same CG. Last resort I will go camping in campsites or lean-tos. Knowing this premise what is the best way to go about accomplishing my goal? I understand the revolving four month system. My plan is to every 2-3 days in February put in for cabins at either CG for the corresponding week. Then towards the end of the month (Feb 25 for June 25) if still on the outside add a couple of campsite options to increase my chances of at least getting in. Is this the best way to go about accomplishing my goal? Any other ideas to insure a good chance of reserving two cabins for 8 people in June?

When I sent in my reservations, I listed a first, second, and third choice, and included a note saying "I don't really care much about specifics, I just want three nights in September at one of these campgrounds." The good folks at BSP gave me something that met those requirements.

So I suggest just telling them what you're doing. One of the nice things about having rangers handle your reservation instead of some website. :)

I suggest going to opening day when they'll allow up to two cabins at Kidney Pond to be reserved for a given day. Get in line pre-dawn, freeze your butt off and you'll have a good chance of finding two cabins available for a week duration.

While you're there, take the opportunity to snowshoe or xc or bc ski in the southern end of the park. No need to go through the winter reservation system for something like that. A few miles south of Millinocket on rt. 11 there is also a very pleasant network of winter trails.

Wish I could but to make a full day trip each way to get a reservation - or even a mini-trip just won't pan out. At this point, I will take jniehof's advice and I will call the folks at BSP to see if my plan is feasible and let them confirm. Hopefully, I get a personable and knowledgeable employee at the other end of the phone.