Response to Owl's Head via East Side Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campsite

Reaction score
I spent 5 days at the Franconia Brook Campsite 2 weeks ago. Crossing over to the N side of the river was no problem providing one was ready to step into the water - knee deep at most. "Stepping stones" were there but not positioned to make a "dry" crossing. The round stones at the bottom of the river are incredibly slippery. I kept my hiking sneakers on to make the crossing, and I had to use a makeshift hiking stick to keep my balance while walking on those rocks. No problems crossing Franconia Brook and Lincoln Brook.

I spent 5 days at the Franconia Brook Campsite 2 weeks ago. Crossing over to the N side of the river was no problem providing one was ready to step into the water - knee deep at most. "Stepping stones" were there but not positioned to make a "dry" crossing. The round stones at the bottom of the river are incredibly slippery. I kept my hiking sneakers on to make the crossing, and I had to use a makeshift hiking stick to keep my balance while walking on those rocks. No problems crossing Franconia Brook and Lincoln Brook.

From the bridge at the 3 mile mark (from Lincoln Woods, on the Lincoln Woods Trail), could you describe how you'd get to the "stepping stones" (across the pemi river) from either end of the bridge? I've searched around and it hasn't been obvious at all to me!!!!

If you're on the Wilderness Trail, as soon as you reach the Wilderness Area sign (just across the bridge) there's a herd path heading to the right. It goes right to the stepping stones; pretty hard to miss the stepping stones from there.

From the other side of the river you just walk past Franconia Brook campsite and they are obvious.

If you're on the Wilderness Trail, as soon as you reach the Wilderness Area sign (just across the bridge) there's a herd path heading to the right. It goes right to the stepping stones; pretty hard to miss the stepping stones from there.

From the other side of the river you just walk past Franconia Brook campsite and they are obvious.

arrrrrrrrg! I seriously looked all around there a couple weeks ago - is the herd path *that* obvious???? Anyone find it recently/this summer??? I must be completely oblivious!!!!!

I must be completely oblivious!!!!!
You said it, not me :) But you don't seem to notice a few scratches either :)

I would call the herd path obvious. It is right after the bridge going inbound, if you don't see it just follow Franconia Brook downstream till you do. It first crosses a side channel to an island that would make a lovely campsite if not for all the No Camping signs, then the main crossing where as mentioned some large boulders give you something to hang on to but may not keep your feet dry.

From the campsite, follow the woods road down to the water and look up.

arrrrrrrrg! I seriously looked all around there a couple weeks ago - is the herd path *that* obvious???? Anyone find it recently/this summer??? I must be completely oblivious!!!!!

I understand your frustration. When I crossed over from Franconia Brook campsite, I didn't really pay attention to the short paths I took to reach the Lincoln Woods trail. At the end of the day, when it came time to get back to the river crossing, I took several herd paths into the woods that lead to dead ends. I finally decided to simply bushwhack to the island (island at high water only). At last resort, follow Roy's advice to follow the Franconia Brook E bank down to the E Branch, and you'll do fine. The Franconia Brook campsite is located on the south side, just a little upstream from the confluence of Franconia Brook with the E Branch.