Reuben's quest continues...#5 & #6!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Well, its been a while since Reuben had been hiking with me and he’s been bugging me to take him out so this past Saturday we set out to hike Pierce and Eisenhower.

We headed up the Crawford Path around 8:30 and there was still quite a chill in the air…the cars that had parked overnight in the lot had a thick layer of frost on the windshield. Reuben took the lead right away and we set into a nice pace, although mine was a bit slower than his. Thankfully, he never gets too far ahead and when he does he’ll stop and wait for me to catch up.
We soon broke out onto the ridge and were rewarded with unlimited sunshine and breathtaking views. We then headed on up to the summit of Pierce, which was Reuben’s 5th 4000-footer. I had wanted to take a short break here but Reuben does not have much patience and he was soon stomping his paws and squeaking at me to get going! I think his nose was on sensory overload! So, off we went.

The Crawford Path is one of my favorites and we took our time as we headed over to Eisenhower. There was one tricky section of rock ledges and scrambles just below the summit and I was surprised at how easily and gracefully Reuben navigated his way up. We than passed another small group of hikers who had their dog with them and after saying hello we continued on. I can always tell Reuben is getting tired (which hardly ever happens) when he just walks up to another dog! :)

Eisenhower marked Reuben’s 6th 4000-footer and we took a much longer break on this summit which we had to ourselves for over ½ hour. We sat around eating and taking pictures and I thought about taking him over to Monroe but decided that would be a bit too long for him. After resting Reuben once again told me he was ready to get going….."squeak, squeak Mom…get off your butt and start moving!”

Heading down Edmunds Path was nice and we passed several groups of people making their way up. We saw traces of snow on the up sloping side of the trail….I’m really looking forward to winter now! The foliage is really starting to come out at the lower elevations with lots of yellows and some oranges and reds.

After walking the road back to the car I could tell Reuben was ready for a nap. He stood at the back of the car waiting for me to open the hatch so he could jump in and get all cozy on his dog bed….he was asleep in less than five minutes!

Ok...let's see if I can get the dang link to work without anyone fixing it for me! :D

http://community.webshots.com/user/mbaross

-MEB

I find it really cool that you went hiking with your Great Dane. He's really photogenic as well. Keep up the good hiking :)

I thought you meant the sandwich at first. You're getting a bit eccentric aren't you? Oh shoot, short attention span: you mean your dog!? :D

Now, is he the one that had some leg trouble in the past? How was he doing after the hike? Maybe he's interested in coming to The Captain!?

-Dr. Wu

Mary Ellen,
Great trip report and photos! What a beautiful pup! I love that So. Presis stretch...the views are spectacular and the terrain is easy and fun...a great hike for the four-legged friend :) But I bet Reuben didn't get any apple pie, huh??
-katie

That would be pretty funny if I was out hiking with my pet sandwich! :D

My other dog is the one who has the leg trouble so he got to stay home all day and lounge around!

Nope, no pie for Reuben but he sure did give my pack at lot of sniffs when I got home!

-MEB

reuben

if he is going do do all 48 we should take him on the pres trv 06..which i am already looking forward to.. :eek:

Nice going! And if you get too tired, you can always hitch a ride on Reuben's back. :D