Ride For Research

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Satterlee

Team Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if any other VFFT folks were there, but this ride had to be one of the best. After looking at unfavorable forecasts all week, I woke up to wet roads down here, but it ended up being one of the best days when shorts fingerless gloves were without question. A day for sunscreen and not rain jackets.

A few days before the ride, I knew of a child with newly diagnosed brain mass. I rode for him. And all others.

I felt a compelling need to do this ride for another reason; two years ago I did this ride a few weeks after my mother died of cancer, her last diagnosis was metastatic brain cancer.

Remembering almost everything this year, and running late as usual, I left at the end of the 50 mile pack, expecting an easy ride testing my new wider 32 mm touring tires and old legs, I unexpectedly found a like riding partner who provided me with company and motivation to keep a better pace.

The start was at the old start, as the more recent start place, a bunch of Verizon buildings, was under construction.

There did not seem to be as many riders this year and bicycle traffic wasn't as congested as in past years.

The roads are beautiful this time of year and this had to be a perfect spring day. I don't recall as many hills. Some of the ride goes by quintessential old New England farm territory, old farmhouses along the road with dogwoods, lilacs azaleas in full bloom. As if anyone needed a reminder of what it is to suffer through New England winters, this was the reward.

I got back to the start in record time (for me) and settled for a PB and J sandwich (which was delightful) as lines for burgers and dogs were long and I had to get back home.

I suspect that this might be the last TBTS Ride For Research for me and what a great day for a ride it was!

John, glad to hear some news from the ride. Sounds like a stellar day to have the feet on pedals.

So, what's with it being the last year? The same reasons for riding will probably be with us in 2009. Shorter routes are there for a reason! ;)

John,

Thanks for doing the ride. Glad you had such an awesome day. I hope this isn't your last ride....I'd like to see you there next year.

Aloha

Darren