Ridge of the Caps - Jewel trail - Jan 28 or 29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Is there any interest in this route? Probably looking at a very early departure time, hopefully in twilight. Going up Ridge of the Caps for summit of Jefferson, then if there is time and energy over to Washington returning via the Jewel trail.

I plan on driving up the day before and lodging at a local hostel, or if there are enough people doing the same, sharing a hotel room.

Please come and join us for a fun day out!

Those who have expressed interest:
spencer
Jaytrek57

Those who are definites:
percious
giggy

-percious

Last edited:
Yea - this trip was one and the same so percoius is the man on this now.

Some opps to do some climbing in huntington ravine came my way for the weekend before and after so 1/28 will have to be family time.

sorry to all involved but - I have to take advantage of these opps when they come.

My research on caps was either take the notch road (less than 5 miles) to the parking lot - should be packed out due to snowmobiles and then head up caps ridge and down jewell for easy descent. But - I think I was leaning towards shoeing the bondary trail (likely unbroken) to the road due to easier parking issues. I got some good info from people that have done it in prior years that the deep snow should only be the boundary trail to road - road should be ok and then might be deep to treeline - which isnn't that far on that trail - above treeline should be hardpack crampon snow and rock - but you will have the shoes if needed.

hope this helps and again sorry for bailing.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this...giggy left me hanging (just kidding). ;)

I would most likely head up the night before as well.

Peace.

Sorry if I jumped the gun on posting, but I figured with ~2 weeks to go it might be good to get the trip formally organized before everyone makes other plans (which has happened quite often in my experience.) I personally cannot justify heading up there solo.

I like giggy's suggestion to use the boundary trail. There *should* be parking near/at Cog Railroad. The boundary trail would save some mileage getting to the caps. Can anyone confirm the parking situation?

I will be happy to relinquish my leadership of this trip if someone else was already more involved in the organization.

-percious

Parking - you should be able to park at the cog for $$- or - I spoke with the adroscoggin (SP?) (think thats one one) rangers last month about parking on base road near the ammo lot that doesn't get plowed - they said you could park there (overnight as well) w/o trouble if you have the sticker. I asked them if they towed cars or anything and laughed and said no.

A couple of weeks ago when I went by, they had taped the entrance to the Ammo lot off so you couldn't even get one car in there. We used to park in there, now it's the lower part of the Cog lot where you can park for free. I did Jefferson via Jewell-Gulfside, nice route, lots of exposure and I wouldn't want to be up there today!

Jim lombard said:
A couple of weeks ago when I went by, they had taped the entrance to the Ammo lot off so you couldn't even get one car in there. We used to park in there, now it's the lower part of the Cog lot where you can park for free. I did Jefferson via Jewell-Gulfside, nice route, lots of exposure and I wouldn't want to be up there today!

well that sucks -

I think I am back on this trip :) :) :) - due to rain :mad: :mad: :mad: (I don't willingly do winter rain!!) this weekend is making me cancel my plans - so staying home this weekend and plan to get up there next weekend.

so who is coming??? :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
The Plan

Ok, so the plan is to meet VERY early (5am or 6am) on Saturday morning on the lower lot by the train Depot. The hike is Boundary trail->Caps Ridge Trail->Jefferson. If weather/energy/time is good then a trip up Washington is possible, returning Via the Jewel trail. The group may choose at this point to split, with the stronger hikers heading up.

If this sounds good to you, please let me know, and I will modify the initial post to include you in the roster.

Some of us are staying at a Hostel on friday night. Giggy, what is the name of the Hostel?

-percious

My plan if I go (looking about 99% right now) - is going to be crash at lyons bunkhouse - which is in Twin MT -

I can organize this as I have dealt with them before - next week - we can get a count and meet there friday night and pay cash that night to the dude.

we are going to have to work something out with the cog - becuase 7:30 (the time they allow parking) is too late - I too want to be going by 5-6am if possible.

this should be a good trip.

spencer said:
sorry guys, I'm out. A death in the family needs my attention.

spencer

Sorry to hear the news, Spencer.

I'm also out. Grad school commitments must take priority, unfortunately. Hope you guys have fun.

Sorry to all those who could not make it.

Giggy and I have decided to make this a semi-technical Gully climb, possibly up Huntington's or Tuckermans. For this reason we are kind of closing out the trip.

Jaytrek, please PM or email me. We still want to include you, we just need to pick the right hike for all of us.

-percious