right of way: uphill or down?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who should have the right of way?

• Hikers proceeding uphill

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Hikers proceeding downhill

Votes: 38 25.2%
  • Whoever has an axe

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I always yield anyway

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Me!

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters

nartreb

Reaction score
A recent thread about this question has grown lengthy, so let's make this an offical poll:

Who should have the right of way?

-hikers proceeding uphill
-hikers proceeding downhill
-I always yield anyway
-whoever carries the bigger axe
-Me.

And why?

Last edited:
I usually give the folks coming down the ROW (I don't mind a quick rest break on an uphill section.) Unless an axe is involved, thats my answer :p

Well I said whoever has the axe, but what I really mean is I play it by ear depending on the circumstances. If I am beat (going up or down) I will yeild just to have an excuse to have a break. If I have a good head of steam on, and the other group isn't going to lynch me I might take ROW. But really it is a read of myself and those approaching.

like others I usually yield regardless. this let's me take a break... and check you out. that's me with the red cheeks and the gut handging over my belt.

Depends...
Sometimes it's obvious that an ascending or descending hiker (or group) wants to keep moving. In that case I yield
Sometimes it's not. In that case I yield
Sometimes they just stop. In that case I stop, say hi, and either chat a bit, or continue depending on the reaction.
Sometimes the terrain or load is such that it's obvious.
If all things are equal (easy terrain, light loads, etc) I yield to the ascending hiker. It's easier to get me going downhill than to get me going up.

In any event, it's more about reading body language and terrain than a hard and fast rule. So I voted whoever has an axe.

Last edited:
It totally depends on the situation. I am usually alone or with a small group, so I think the larger group has the right of way. It's just easier to stop than try to bully past 8 or 10 people moving against me. Most single hikers or small groups will stop and chat for a second anyways and then we both head off in opposite directions at the same time. My motto is, just stick to unpopular trails where I won't encounter other hikers :) .

Same way yield

What really gets under my skin is when you come upon a slower moving person/group going the same direction as you and they refuse to move aside. That is when the axe comes in handy.

jessbee said:
. . . I am usually alone or with a small group, so I think the larger group has the right of way. It's just easier to stop than try to bully past 8 or 10 people moving against me. . . .

The very reason it is worth discussing and pondering matters of trail etiquette is in hope that it will be quite unecessary to ever “bully” your way past anyone. There should be plenty of comfortable, reasonable and respectful give-and-take when we meet others on the hiking trail. Else, we lose civility.

I reject the notion that larger groups automatically should have the right-of-way. This probably comes from a long-standing belief that the power of the “many” should not be wielded at undue expense to and without real consideration given the interests of the “few” or of “individuals.”

The fact is that in many circumstances members of a large group can step aside one-by-one to let a lone hiker or a smaller group of hikers pass, without the large group or its constituents suffering any undue inconvenience to themselves. It is not necessary for the group to step off the trail and halt in unison. By contrast, having to step off the trail for several minutes while an entire large group files by may be a real inconvenience to a lone hiker or party of two or three or four.

By the same token, of course, it is essential that soloists or smaller groups honor the courtesy they receive by moving past members of the larger group at good pace so as not to unduly disperse them. That’s give-and-take.

Think about The Golden Rule, and let that guide your behavior in these encounters.

G.

Obviously, every situation is unique with many variables and there are probably countless exceptions, however, in the pure abstract, the downhill hiker has the right of way.

My guess is that this rule came about because the downhill hiker has less control and given that gravity is aiding him/her/them, it takes a greater effort to stop when going downhill as opposed to up going uphill.

As I said in the other thread, I always yield.

But now I'm consumed by guilt, knowing that I may be robbing someone of a badly needed break! :confused:

All signs point to 'up'

TEO,

I beg to differ. I had heard early on my hiking efforts, that the uphill hiker has the right of way, by custom. That's not to say that an uphill hiker couldn't stop while a downhill hiker passed, and that seems to be what quite a few people decide to do.

Here's some info I posted in the earlier thread about this:
I did a Google search on hiking etiquette, and every hit that discussed the topic said that the right of way goes to the hiker moving uphill. The collaborative internet encyclopedia, Wikipedia, agreed, too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiking#Etiquette_of_hiking

I always yield to the downhill hiker, because, as previously pointed out, it gives me a chance to take a break. In all other cases, I agree with SherpaKroto, in that it depends on body language and the terrain.

I can't stand it when I catch up to someone on a trail going in the same direction, and they refuse to move aside for me. I caught up to you, I'm obviously moving faster than you, why try to hold me up?

Yeilding

I tend to yeild to everyone because I "need" a break. It did become difficult Saturday though. There were six of us trying to get out of the way of a single hiker. I thought back to the last time I was on the forum and have to say that it is easier for a smaller group to yield than a larger group.

TEO said:
Obviously, every situation is unique with many variables and there are probably countless exceptions, however, in the pure abstract, the downhill hiker has the right of way.

My guess is that this rule came about because the downhill hiker has less control and given that gravity is aiding him/her/them, it takes a greater effort to stop when going downhill as opposed to up going uphill.
I recall learning pretty much the same thing and guessed the same reason. I picked this up as a young child hiking with my dad on AMC trips. Although it's possible I was impressionable and biased by a small sample of leaders, it still makes sense to me.

Grumpy said:
... This probably comes from a long-standing belief that the power of the “many” should not be wielded at undue expense to and without real consideration given the interests of the “few” or of “individuals.” G.

Hey! I thought we wre supposed to keep politics out of this forum! :D

Actually, I agree with Grumpy, Sherpa K and others who suggest that common sense, that rarest of commodities, dictate in any given situation. As for me, I usually yield in either direction just to enjoy a breather.