Rino 530 PC connection

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Those with the Rino 530 GPS (this is the older discontinued one, not the 530HCx, but I assume the PC interface is the same), how do you upload and download waypoints to it? It has a USB interface as I noticed my USB cable fits into the back and Win.2k recognizes it though I get no icon or device on it. I don't have mapsource. I talked to MapTech aka MyTopo and they said early 2009, they are working on a beta to connect with the 503 series but just curious for those that have a Rino 530, what kind of cable comes with the unit? A basic USB cable or an older DB9 serial cable? Garmin's website seems to indicate it comes with a USB cable but I do see an older DB9 cable available..

What does Mapsource use?

jay

I have 530Hcx and it came with a USB cable as well as a CD with a Mapsource program. The Mapsource program that came with the unit has nothing more than a few roads and lakes; nothing very details, but the program lets you upload and download waypoints and tracks between the PC and the GPS unit.

I also have NG Topo! 4.5 for the northeast on my PC, which I can upload tracks and waypoints from the GPS. The only problem I have is I lose the waypoint names when they upload onto the computer.

You can also use a general purpose program to manage the unit. I use GSAK, which has a database and lots of features for displaying and managing waypoints. GSAK ( = GPS Swiss Army Knife) is written for geocachers but it's good for any set of waypoints that you may want to track. I use it for Benchmarks,

It's share ware. Here's an primer for getting it and using it: http://gsak.net/GSAK101_English.doc

There are no doubt other programs around that will solve your problem, perhaps some more attuned to hiking. Perhaps others on the board will chime in with examples.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have a basic USB cable from the dead Canon camera that I unfortunately purchased this past summer. I got Windows to recognize it, I downloaded the drivers from garmin and it looks OK, but I couldn't get Terrain Navigator to communicate with it.

I posted a question on Maptech's support forum after not seeing the unit in their list of supported GPS units and they responded that a beta release (v8.5x) of their base TN product is coming out early next year that is supposed to support the 530 family... I guess I'll have to wait them.

The 530 that I found has Mapsource loaded in it so I could get away with just marking waypoints close enough to the summit for it to be useful as a backup device for winter hiking.... But eventually I'd like to be able to use it as I did with my now-flaky Etrex Vista.

Jay

If the GPS has an NMEA communication mode, try setting it on both the GPS and the software.

NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) is a hardware-independent communication mode.

GPSBabel supports the Rhino 530. You can use it to transfer waypoint, route, and track info between the GPS and a data file on the computer. It supports many different file formats including Maptech Exchange Format used by Terrain Navigator. GPSBabel is free and opensource. http://www.gpsbabel.org

Doug

Yes, the 530 does seem to support the NMEA output, at least I can set that in the GPS itself.

I'll check out GPSBabel soon..

Jay