Ripped Marmots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I thought this thread was going to be about drunken ferrett-like creatures, not torn clothing.....

Tim Seaver said:
Whoops!

I thought "Ripped Marmots" was referring to body-building rodents.
;)

Here you go!

1007_22285103_hamster_qui_se_muscle_H202006_L.jpg

I had a similar issue with ripped Marmots and got this reply from Marmot:

Please send your Marmot gear for inspection (via some sort of tracking method) to: Marmot Warranty/Repair, 2321 Circadian Way, Santa Rosa, CA 95407. Be sure the item is clean and include a list of details for testing/repairs, your name, address, and telephone number. You can contact the warranty
department M - F 7:30am to 4:00pm (pacific) by calling Marmot
headquarters at 707-544-4590 or direct 1-888-311-2900.

You might try the 888 number (toll free) to confirm this is still the way to do it. I made it clear it was my fault and this was still the resoponse. In the past, they have been pretty generous about free repairs/replacements.

pedxing said:
I had a similar issue with ripped Marmots and got this reply from Marmot:

Please send your Marmot gear for inspection (via some sort of tracking method) to: Marmot Warranty/Repair, 2321 Circadian Way, Santa Rosa, CA 95407. Be sure the item is clean and include a list of details for testing/repairs, your name, address, and telephone number. You can contact the warranty
department M - F 7:30am to 4:00pm (pacific) by calling Marmot
headquarters at 707-544-4590 or direct 1-888-311-2900.

You might try the 888 number (toll free) to confirm this is still the way to do it. I made it clear it was my fault and this was still the resoponse. In the past, they have been pretty generous about free repairs/replacements.
This is nice to know if I have to send something back in the off season. But,

A) Please send your Marmot gear for inspection -- I need it this weekend.
B) Be sure the item is clean -- Oh my god. Does sweat clean things?

If one of my wind shirts was ripped I'd send it back (I have 2) but I need the pants. I'll patch them up with something.

-Dr. Wu

Finding most of my clothing and gear at lawn sales, Goodwill, and the local dump is not without some cost. A lot of it needs some sort of repair, and I have proven methods for such repair to the point people send me their stuff when it breaks or is in need of attention, from stoves to poles to clothing.

For Gore-Tex or waterproof nylon, I bring the two pieces together as closely as possible, then run a small smear of Seam sealer down the tear seams (use wax paper as a backing until one patch is in place). Then I put a self-stick nylon patch on the inside and outside of the tear, and viola, it's fixed and waterproof again. The nylon patches can be found at Wal-Mart in the crafts department for $2 for four (one red, blue, white and black) 7"x3" patches. It's long lasting and after over a year of use none of my patches are coming off...all still look new...and I wash my gear regularly (I have a new microfleece jacket washing now, complete with pit zips, got it off the dump today). Many of my Gore-Tex gaiters, bibs, pants, and coats have some area fixed on them, and since most are black you can't even tell. The tents are another matter though as the patches don't color match most of the time. For sleeping bags I just forego the seam sealer, I only use it on garments where it needs to be waterproof.

Wow, Dr.Wu you're one lucky guy. I never even noticed those smelly clothes on any of our hikes! All I know is, if I left my clothes in the trunk, even for just one overnight, the next day my car would smell like a rotting bait bucket or dead worms or something(my wife would say it's all the garlic I eat).

dr_wu002 said:
I take my clothes off at the trailhead (ask Barbarossa about it) and put them in my car. When on the next hike, I arrive at the trailhead and take same clothes out and put them back on. Why wash when you can wear them smelly?

-Dr. Wu

That's just yucky, homey...

I gotta stay fresh and clean. As soon as I get back to the whip I toss my iced out medallions and cuban links back on.

dr_wu002 said:
I take my clothes off at the trailhead ... and put them in my car. ...... Why wash when you can wear them smelly?
ROCKYSUMMIT said:
....., if I left my clothes in the trunk, even for just one overnight, the next day my car would smell like a rotting bait bucket or dead worms or something
Note that this is EXTREMELY useful at border crossings, when they decide to search your car. They open the trunk, get a whiff, poke at something (to make it look like they are doing something), then close the trunk. Even the dope-smelling dogs roll their eyes when theey smell my trunk!

Making duck tape stick

If you have a way to heat the duck tape before putting it over the rip it really sticks well. The ususl way is to heat it is over a gas stove. Sometimes tough to do on the trail but a good method if making the repair at home. I have used this method for repairs on dry suit gaskets and the boat itself while kayaking. If heated well, the duck tape will even stick to wet surfaces. Be warned though, once duck tape is heated and stuck on, it is almost impossible to get it off again.
Joe

RE:making duct tape stick.

Something else to do. Round the corners, so tha they are curves, not 90 degree cuts. It is much less likely to lift off. You will notice that store-bought patches always have rounded corners. There is a reason.

Pete you are so right about the border patrol. They asked me what was in my trunk last summer(really hot humid day)after a hike. After telling them "some really stinky hiking clothes" they declined to even check.

--M. said:
Dr. Wu, have you tried sewing it?

That might work.

--M.
No, I already posted what happened when I try to sew things...
dr_wu002 said:
I said happens to me when I tried to sew? Not pretty.
I'm just going to duct tape it. Use a heat gun or glue or something to make it stick more.

-Dr. Wu

Duct tape.
It comes in black and wears well. You may have to replace I after you wash them .
And.....Field repair is easy.