Rocky Branch Trail from Rt. 16, May 22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I hiked the RBT to the height of land, in search of moose wintering grounds. I've seen plenty of sign of sustained moose presence in winter in this area, and I've found large antlers the past two springs, but I hadn't found a moose yard yet. The trail is dry and in perfect condition.

The hobllebush is really blossoming all over this mountainside now. This mossy little feeder stream is draped in hobblebush.

rockybt-6.jpg

The trail is a tunnel though beautiful beech leaves that are so bright green they glow. There is abundant bellwort, trout lillies, spring beauties, indian poke, rose twisted stalk, and red trilliums...

rockybt-16.jpg

Near the height of land, there is an area where the trail turns abruptly south. This area is beautiful. Trout lillies and spring beauties line the trail and there are huge patches of indian poke.

troutlillies...

rockybt-12.jpg

The weather was a wonderful mix of light misty rain, then sunshine, then dark ominous cloud cover producing more misty rain, and so on. I looked for rainbows but saw none. I sat down for lunch and listened to birds, and one caught my ear. It was a thrush, but I'm not sure which one. I have to learn them because I'm participating in a mountain bird watch next month, concentrating on Bicknell's Thrush. While listening I heard a loud snap that indicated a heavy step. I finished lunch and moved in the direction and saw a bull moose watching me...

rockybt-3.jpg

Ahah! Maybe he will lead me toward the yard that I suspect in the area. Typical of a young bull, he moved away so I followed him and, indeed, he led me through some winter hang-outs. This is exiting to me. I feel like a treasure hunter who has struck gold after a long search. This is a beautiful yarding area.

rockybt-10.jpg

rockybt072.jpg

I started seeing antlers right away. This one's a few years old.

rockybt-13.jpg

I saw four antlers, but all were old, no fresh ones.

rockybt-11.jpg

rockybt-18.jpg

rockybt-9.jpg

I saw this snake, but he wasn't happy to see me. I got close for a picture and he lunged at me. It was comical.

rockybt-17.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
I've never seen a dove in such an area...

rockybt-2.jpg

I also found the remains of an adult bull moose. This large skull shows the knobs where the antlers once grew.

rockybt-14.jpg

The teeth are very worn down, indicating years of browsing...

rockybt-19.jpg

After a while I found a cow moose browsing the hobblebush...

rockybt-7.jpg

rockybt-8.jpg

rockybt-5.jpg

After a while she laid down for a break. I immediately laid down near her and we both rested for a while. I couldn't resist the red trillium between us.

rockybt-15.jpg

These moments make me never want to leave.

But... I slowly strolled down as it was getting dark in the woods. On the way out I saw this fox.

rockybt-1.jpg

I had to flash him even though there was plenty of light to see.

rockybt.jpg

Spring has sprung! The forest is alive!

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Now you're just showing off!! ;) Amazing once again, forestgnome.

Last edited:
More likely the "Moose Whisperer". I'm in awe of your ability to get so close to these beautiful creatures and have them feel so comfortable with you. Any theories on your part? Or is it that you are very much on their turf and not seeing them on the side of some highway where they are on high alert? Thanks for the photos, they are five star!!!

Wow, what a neat area of the white, I like the openness of the birch grove you found. The shot with the trillium and the moose is just fantastic!

Thanks for sharing such great pics and quiet moments with the wildlife.

Love the fox pic and the bull moose stare down.

:D

SkierSteve said:
More likely the "Moose Whisperer". I'm in awe of your ability to get so close to these beautiful creatures and have them feel so comfortable with you. Any theories on your part? Or is it that you are very much on their turf and not seeing them on the side of some highway where they are on high alert? Thanks for the photos, they are five star!!!

Thanks for all the feedback! It's a pleasure to share and the feedback is motivational.

Basically, I act like they do, and avoid any predator-like behavior. It doesn't always work. Sometimes, like with the young bull, he waited for me long enough to get a good look at me then he moved off. But other times by talking softly and acting like a fellow browser they will let me hang out with them. Any close-ups I take are the result of spending some time. I was with the cow for a half hour before I got a decent shot, and over a hour had passed when she laid down for a break. I've learned a lot about them by just watching and listening to them do their thing.

happy trails :)