Route 421, St. Lawrence County

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Howdie,

I've been down 421 before (from Route 30) heading towards the Bog River and from what I remember, it was a dirt road soon after you turn off of Route 30 but I have never traveled the full length of 421 between Routes 3 and 30.
My question is...is it all dirt?

I'm looking to put in a few miles on the bike in 2012 from Long Lake to Wanakena and back. A nice dirt road section is what I'm looking for...I just want to know how much of 421 is dirt ahead of time.

Any info is appreciated.
Thx.

For starters, this is not a public road all the way through. Motor vehicle traffic can travel only as far as the Dog Pond trailhead, just south of Little Mountain. The road here is gated, and the lands north are part of the Conifer Easement. Public access is allowed on the easement, but I'd double check with the DEC to make sure that bicycle use is allowed. Each easement is different and has it's own set of rules. Typically access by foot is allowed on most (but not all) easements, although camping is forbidden.

As for what you can expect to find... dirt, dirt, more dirt, some rocks, and even more dirt. The road becomes unpaved near Horseshoe Lake, and soon after becomes very primitive. It's in better shape now than it was a few years ago, but yeah- it's definitely not something you'd take a road bike down. A hybrid at the very least is necessary.

Interesting. Thanks.

Looking at my Trails Illustrated map, it looks like bikes are "allowed" or..."able to be used" up to the southern end of the Massawepie-Yorkshire Cross Country Ski trail when coming in from Route 30...this is very close to the Dog Pond trail head...like you said.

From there north along Massawepie Road and then NW to Route 3, there is no indication on the map if one is "not allowed" to use a bike or if it is just "not recommended."

Will check with the DEC. Am planning to use a cyclocross bike.
Thanks again.

Yeah, the NG map would seem to indicate that biking is not permitted on the Massawepie Road (trail 34).

BTW, the NG map is somewhat inaccurate in where the gated road onto the Conifer easement lands is located. The road that the map shows, which is about a mile east of the Dog Pond Trailhead, is old and as far as I know hasn't been maintained in years. There is a newer gated road right at the dog pond trailhead that cuts over to the east and rejoins the old road.

Interesting enough, the ADK Guidebook also indicates that camping is allowed on the Conifer Easement lands- unusual since this is not the case with most easements.

OK...will cross-reference with other maps.

BTW...what's the deal with coming in from Route 3? Do you know how far in one could travel before running into any possible restrictions? I'm guessing heading southeast from route 3, the past Grass River Flow, you could make it all the way to northern end of the Massawepie-Yorkshire Cross Country Ski trail (Trail #34/Massawepie Road). And I'm assuming that from route 3 it's all dirt as well.

Taking a look at the big picture, Trail #34 seems to be in my way at the moment as I try to get from Route 30 northwards to Route 3...via a dirt road.

Thanks again!

The national geographic map would seem to indicate that the best access is from the east, via Childwold and Conifer and Route 62/Conifer Road. The ADK Guidebook is quite vague, but in contrast it seems to indicate that the best access is from the north, through the scout camp at Massawepie. It does say that the scout camp is closed to public access during the summer months when camp is in session. The ADK Guidebook indicates that the road from the west, past the Grass River Flow, is actually an old railroad bed.

The issue is that some of the roads on the NG map are almost certainly private logging roads, not public roads. Again, contacting the DEC would probably be your best bet into figuring out a route. I've been back to the Dog Pond Trailhead multiple times, but always to access the CL50/Dog Pond Loop/Otterbrook Trail- I've not yet ventured onto the easement lands nearby. :)

Hmmm...old railroad bed. I like that. Sounds perfect for cyclocross :)

Will let you know what I find out when I call the DEC. Probably wont have a chance to call them 'till Monday.

These are the best parts of the trips...the planning (studying the maps with a cold beer), the logistics, the anticipation. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: