Rte 3 Road Work - Bethlehem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
Heads Up!

Driving to Twin Mountain this morning I saw work crews putting up signs in preperation for road work on Rte 3 between exit 35 on Rte 93 and the Gale River bridge. Looks like the road will go down to a single lane with automated traffic lights at each end - at least by the bridge when they start.

This has finally shown up on 511nh.com, and it's listed as being through Oct 12.

Sweet moses!

All I'm trying to do on Sunday, is get to Franconia Notch from Maine. The Kanc is closed (maybe open Sunday), Rt302 closed, I was going to go up Pinkham Notch, Rt 2 to Rt115 down to Rt3..........
I think I'll just drive North until I hit snow, turn left, and hope for the best.....

Come on Irene......

Petch

Sweet moses!

All I'm trying to do on Sunday, is get to Franconia Notch from Maine. The Kanc is closed (maybe open Sunday), Rt302 closed, I was going to go up Pinkham Notch, Rt 2 to Rt115 down to Rt3..........
I think I'll just drive North until I hit snow, turn left, and hope for the best.....

Come on Irene......

Petch

As for getting west of Conway from Bridgton ME I made an interesting discovery Friday. By taking Rt. 35 to Bethel and Rt. 2 to Gorham I actually saved 15 to 20 minutes over taking Rt. 302 to Rt. 16 and going over Pinkham Notch. In the afternoon you actually save more time as you avoid the Jackson and Conway traffic.

As for getting west of Conway from Bridgton ME I made an interesting discovery Friday. By taking Rt. 35 to Bethel and Rt. 2 to Gorham I actually saved 15 to 20 minutes over taking Rt. 302 to Rt. 16 and going over Pinkham Notch. In the afternoon you actually save more time as you avoid the Jackson and Conway traffic.
I usually go that way when hitting the Northern Presi's. Taking 35 from Naples. But we are picking up someone in Fryeburg..... Thx

Last edited:
The work in Bethlehem is nuthin to worry about. One short stretch of one-way, controlled by temporary traffic lights, around the bridge over the Gale River.

Maine Road Questions

Hi Bob and Geri, We have all your trip reports printed out and are heading north to hike a few mountains in New Hampshire before heading up to Maine on the 18th to hike the western mountains on the 100 highest. Do you have a link to find out if Rt 27 near Eustus is closed. We hope to hike Bpundary Peak and have our enhanced licenses all ready. Do you know if the roads in Western Maine got damaged? Thanks for any info you have. Mike & Ellen

Hi Bob and Geri, We have all your trip reports printed out and are heading north to hike a few mountains in New Hampshire before heading up to Maine on the 18th to hike the western mountains on the 100 highest. Do you have a link to find out if Rt 27 near Eustus is closed. We hope to hike Bpundary Peak and have our enhanced licenses all ready. Do you know if the roads in Western Maine got damaged? Thanks for any info you have. Mike & Ellen

Check out the Maine 511 page:

http://www.511.maine.gov/main.jsf

Looks like some road work going on so expect some delays, but you should be able to get there from what we see.

Good luck on the hikes and have fun!!!

Bob and Geri,

On Sept. 7th, drove south on 27 from the Quebec border through Kingfield and on to Skowhegan, then east the next day.

Two temporary bridges either side of the Sugarloaf entrance, and a chunk of north bound highway a few miles further south on 27, now controlled by lights, were the only major signs of road damage we experienced on our entire trip to the east coast.

The work in Bethlehem is nuthin to worry about. One short stretch of one-way, controlled by temporary traffic lights, around the bridge over the Gale River.
Since they are repairing the deck surface only, that doesn't seem to be Irene-related but just typical repair

But that bridge didn't last very well, lots of folks here probably remember the girder bridge that used to be there