Saddleback 3/20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you made it home okay. It was a real pleasure meeting you and Amy. Hope we can climb together again.

sweet photos

Sweet photos. You look a little cold in some of the shots.
Looks like it was alot of fun though.
Wish i could have been there.

The Trip Report!

Departure: Saturday March 18th 4:30 PM…2.5 hours late..not bad. My sister Amy and I headed north to Speculator and arrived at Ward’s camp around 11 pm. We were greeted by Slam and Ward who helped us stow our gear, handed us a beer, and told us stories and shared pictures of their past adventures until the wee hours. Tell us another Uncle Wardy! The Slam N Ward B & B provided us with a comfy bunk and a hearty breakfast in the morning to get us on our way. Not to mention the ‘what do I pack/what do I leave’ advice AND lending us a MAP (eek!) since we remembered EVERYTHING else in the world but that.
We arrived at the Garden around 10:30; just in time to see an ambulance backing into the trailhead. I understand that the injured climber was able to hike out after quite a fall off the north face of Gothics. We met the famed Tom Rankin who was headed in with several others in the Peggy O’ group. We intended to meet and hike in with them, but our delayed arrival prevented that. I’d say 50% of those headed in were wearing snowshoes, others bare boot. We could have bare booted, but we opted to wear our shoes, just to try them out….being brand new and all.  On the way in we met yet another legend, Pete Hickey, who ended up making two trips into Peggy to bring everything he wanted to have.
We dropped our gear at Peggy O and had some lunch. Around 2:30 we decided to try Big Slide and we got going just before 3. Not 10 minutes in, we met Matt Corsar and Terry on their way down. Terry had fallen and injured her elbow and was in obvious pain. Matt was heroically pushing her to keep moving and get her back to the safety of camp. We also met Alistair and Cantdog further up the trail. The trail was very packed down, but we were glad to get some experience with our snowshoes; and the teeth on the snowshoes helped with some of the steeper pitches. About an hour into the ascent, Amy really started minding her toes. Specifically, they were going numb. We pushed on another 40 minutes and around 4:40 pm hit the 3500 ft. mark. At the beginning of the climb we saw patches of blue sky, but by this time the wind had kicked in and there was a solid cloud cover above. Amy was in pain. A decision was made, whether we go up or down, we need to work on her feet. We opened some heat packs while she put her socked feet under my sweaters and on a warm water bottle; we stuffed the heat packs in her boots and got her shoes back on. It was now around 5:10 pm. Amy’s feet were not coming back, and despite being ever so close to the summit, we decided her toes were more important and we turned back, hitting Peggy O around 6:15. So much for our first winter summit! 
We spent that evening dining on a chicken pasta dish and making plans for the next day. We also had the chance to get to know some of our cabin mates.
Monday morning was an early rise. We took our time with breakfast and headed out the door around 8:45; destination Saddleback. It was a cold morning, at least to us Pennsylvania girls. The trail up Orebed was pretty well packed, but there were a few inches of new snow that were already broken in that morning by Pete and Cantdog who did Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong UWJ. We stopped at the lean-to around 9:45 for a quick refuel and I donned my balaclava as I was minding the cold on my face. Amy started the morning with heat packs in her boots, so her feet were doing just fine. The next mile of trail was just like the first 1.5 miles, pretty packed. As the steep ascent started, the loose snow was a little deeper, I was glad for the snowshoes, both for floatation and for traction. At 3500 feet we stopped for another snack, it was 11:30. I couldn’t believe how quickly my hands would numb, even with liner gloves on. I began to dread anytime I had to take them out of my mitts. I need better winter fuel food. I may try SkiDoc’s Goo and Power Bar approach to eating. We tried to eat quickly, but we were clumsy with all our winter gear and with the cold temps. The 3500’ sign was a real moral booster for us, and we knew that we could make this summit. By the time we reached the 4000’ sign the loose snow was maybe a foot deep, but the trail was well defined. At the Gothics/Saddleback Col we began to see pieces of Gothics popping out and we made our way up Saddleback. The longer we went, the bigger openings in the clouds gave us better and better views. The winds were there, of course, but not as strong as I’ve felt them in the past. In the saddle the snow was blown into a hard pack, but near the top of Saddleback the snow was deep. We reached the summit at 1:15 with awesome views of Basin and the valleys to the left and right. I found out, kind of, what a spruce trap was at the summit when my leg stuffed into one and I promptly bent one of my trekking poles. The first of many I’ll destroy I suppose.  We took the obligatory summit photos and began the descent.
Amy, being more conservative, carefully descended all the steep sections to the Col. I, on the other hand, slipped and discovered, by accident, the joy of butt sliding. I promptly adorned my shell pants and began to slide wherever a steep section would allow. All was well until we got to one of the longer steep sections, right near the 3500’ marker. I was sliding, I was yelling “wheeeeee”, and then I saw a tree branch, or root, or something sticking out of the ground that my bum was going to connect with. The last thing I remember was lifting a cheek to avoid the connection. The next thing I hear is Amy saying “Oh Stacey! Are you OK?” and I’m thinking, “What is she talking about?”…when this wave of pain rolls over my head and my vision comes back to me. I’m upside down, with my head against a tree trunk. Amy asks “Can you get up? GET UP! GET UP!”.
We made our way back down the Orebed, all the while Amy quizzing me on the day of the week, what trail we were on….we stopped at our friendly lean-to for another snack and more hand warmers.
Back at camp, we were the first ones to return…around 4:30…not long after everyone else began to filter in. Dinner on night #2 was our famed shrimp, crab, and pasta casserole which SkiDoc enjoyed as well (oh! Except for that chicken bouillon cube…Yuck!) That evening we shared conversation mostly with SkiDoc and Alistair. It was so great getting to know them!
The next morning my head was still killing me and I was somewhat sick to my stomach. We packed up and hiked out with Alistair, TeeJay, and SkiDoc. Typical for my trips…the morning was dawning with a perfect bluebird sky…and I had to go home. Ack! We stopped north of Albany for lunch with SkiDoc, Mrs. SkiDoc (who met us there), and Alistair. It was the best burger I had…..well….ever. Back home around 7pm, a hot shower and hugs from the kids and husband rounded out my trip. A doctor appointment this morning revealed that I have a mild concussion.
Lessons learned: Be careful butt sliding; bring easy to eat winter lunch food; keeping your hands and feet warm is not always easy; sisters are worth their weight in gold; there are some really fantastic, kind, and funny people on this site!
Final Result: 1 winter summit!!

Last edited:
Ward, I sure wish you guys had been there too! I'm looking forward to when we take a trip together.

knocked out

Chip,
I have about a 5 to 10 second loss of memory, but that's about it. My sister says my eyes were open the entire time, but I recall my vision coming back as though my eyes were opening and feeling like I had been asleep for a while. It was weird, and yeah, I'm glad it wasn't too serious. It was scary and definitely was a reminder to me about how easy it is to have a momentary lapse in carefulness that can be costly.
Hope you can see the pics at home! Thanks for reading :)
Dory

missed you lady!

Tmax,
I sure was sorry that you had to leave! I had a picture of you with your arm all slinged...I felt to sad to post it! It was nice to meet you and I'm sure we'll meet again on the trail.
Dory

Dory said:
It was scary and definitely was a reminder to me about how easy it is to have a momentary lapse in carefulness that can be costly.
Dory

Hey Dory, I agree with you on that.

Exact same thing happened to me while going down Dix last Saturday. I Thought I could manage the steep descent (right after Hunter's pass jct) on my feet, helped with hiking poles, but I felt and within seconds I was going so fast I screamed. I saw a tree, I putted my feet in front to stop myself, and BANG ! My ankle got it pretty badly. I have been able to walk out (3 hours), but it got swollen the day after. Now I still can't walk on it. I really got scared, I guess I've been lucky, could have been worse.

Oh-and the tears were not far, but because I was with males only, no way I was going to cry !

Nice TR, Stacey. Nice meeting you and your sister this week and I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and got home safe. Laurie, Tom and I headed up to Saddleback Tuesday. Your trail was still there until up top, but there was enough new powder and drifting up there to all but obliterate it in places. We lucked out and had it clear, warm and calm on the summit. Incredible views from both sides and great butt-sliding on the descent.

I was a little leery about sliding some of those steep parts, but Laurie advised me that there was enough snow that it would be easier to control than I thought. She was correct. Also, I had borrowed my friend's whippet (one of those trekking poles w/ the ice axe pick on the handle) and this I used as a brake-you could do the same w/ a real ice axe, and in some cases w/ just your pole handle or even just your hand. Snow-plowing my snowshoes in places also helped. Tom helpfully added the tip that you can use the last of your momentum to stand up at the bottom of a pitch to save energy. It was like buttsliding 101!

Anyhow, glad your head feels better!

Matt

timmus said:
Oh-and the tears were not far, but because I was with males only, no way I was going to cry !
We could have handled a broken ankle, fractured heelbone, concussion - you name it. But a woman crying would have totally ovewhelmed our resources and has us uselessly paralyzed.

BTW, in your post you forgot to tell the people what I told you to do when I passed you. :D

Of pasta and...

Dory said:
Back at camp, we were the first ones to return…around 4:30…not long after everyone else began to filter in. Dinner on night #2 was our famed shrimp, crab, and pasta casserole which SkiDoc enjoyed as well (oh! Except for that chicken bouillon cube…Yuck!) That evening we shared conversation mostly with SkiDoc and Alistair. It was so great getting to know them!
The next morning my head was still killing me and I was somewhat sick to my stomach. We packed up and hiked out with Alistair, TeeJay, and SkiDoc. Typical for my trips…the morning was dawning with a perfect bluebird sky…and I had to go home. Ack! We stopped north of Albany for lunch with SkiDoc, Mrs. SkiDoc (who met us there), and Alistair. It was the best burger I had…..well….ever. Back home around 7pm, a hot shower and hugs from the kids and husband rounded out my trip. A doctor appointment this morning revealed that I have a mild concussion.
Lessons learned: Be careful butt sliding; bring easy to eat winter lunch food; keeping your hands and feet warm is not always easy; sisters are worth their weight in gold; there are some really fantastic, kind, and funny people on this site!
Final Result: 1 winter summit!!

Hey nice TR. It was super getting to know you ladies as well, sharing some laughs and meals. Great to get to meet and hang with some kindred spirits. I'd appreciate if you'd send the recipe for that pasta dish (minus the cube of boullion(sp)). It was awesome right up until that fateful spoonful...

Hope your trip back wasn't too long and that your headache is gone. I can't wait to get back out... to the burger place I mean! :D

Nice trip

Great report and photos. Glad Amy didn't lose any toes to frostbite! And yes, the ol butt slide is not easily perfected. I've taken out Ward a couple of times on the way down when the snowshoes have broken free. He tends to follow me on the way down now! The winter summits are surely impressive and your photos were great. Also glad you could visit one of the great Adirondack B&B's on the way. Tell us another story Uncle Ward...

Pete and Cantdog,
I think you guys were cooking your 5 course meal :D when Amy and I were talking about our day with Alistair and SkiDoc. I was also fairly embarrassed :( that I had done such a dumb thing and my head was hurting so I didn't talk too much. I have some fantastic colors of bruising appearing on my shoulder and leg to go with the head bonk.
Pete, I still can't believe you carried in a steel tortilla press...did you guys even use that thing? :)

Shrimp Pasta!

2 cups pasta (penne or mac, I like the tri-color rotini..it looks pretty)

In a plastic bag bring the next 6 ingredients:
1.5 tsp butter buds (Butter or margarine can be subbed, use 1 Tbl.)
1/2 cup dried onion
2 chicken bullion cube or crushed (or use the Herb Ox low sodium no MSG version)
4 Tbs instant milk
4 Tbs grated parmesean cheese (you can use about 4 packets)
4 tbs tomato power (or soup mix)

small container of peas
one packet of salmon or crab in those vacuum sealed packets
one packet of shrimp

In Camp:
Cook the pasta and drain about 1/2 the water. stir in all the spices, shrimp, fish, and peas. Heat thru.

Feeds 3 hikers

!! Important!! I'd definitely recommend the already crushed bullion or just excluding this, since BOTH times I have made this dish, the bullion never completely dissolves. I had the very unfortunate pleasure of biting into one the first time and poor SkiDoc...despite the warning...got a bite of one :eek: