sandwich dome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHiker

Reaction score
Since I got up late on Saturday, I wanted something close by and shorter. Which turned out to be a really good thing, since the water pump in my jeep decided to give out on the way home somewhere on 93 south.

So I decided to try out Sandwich Dome, which would be the lowest elevation destination for me in quite some time. Although, given National Geographic's recent updated map that adds 7 feet to Mt Everest, I figure it's only a matter of time before a new survey shows 7 more feet on this one, and it'll be a 4k too. And then I have it covered.

I went up the Sandwich Mountain Trail off of 49. The way up Noon peak was steeper than I was expecting, but not too bad. The view from the first overlook out towards the Tripyramids was very nice, with the trees looking near peak color. From there the trail is very easy over a lot of flat rocks and there are nice views from time to time.

At this point I had only seen two other people. They got to the summit before I did because I detoured up Jennings Peak. Another nice overlook on the top.

At the junction with the Algonquin trail there was a small tag around the signpost with the following warning about the Algonquin trail, "dead moose 4.4 miles, hold nose".

The view from the summit was pretty much of fog covered landscape while I was there. It probably cleared up after I left. I headed back down the Drakes Brook trail which is much gentler than the way up was. The only difficulty was that most of the red leaves are now off the trees and it's hard to see all the rocks and roots under them. Lots of stubbed toes on the way down.

All in all it was a good day. Reminded me a lot of the Carters this time last year. Except that the drive was much shorter.

Interesting -- I also got up late (very late!) on Saturday, and did a mellow afternoon hike around the Welch-Dickey loop with a friend who was recovering from a bad cold. Between my stops to take pictures, and her stops to catch her breath, we made nearly book time. :)

What's interesting is that you say the leaves were down in that area. On Welch-Dickey, just across 49 from you, they weren't. They were certainly at peak color, and some were down, but at least half of the red leaves were still on the trees. Footing wasn't a problem at all.

I guess that slope is more sheltered from the prevailing west winds?

Anyway, pictures here:
http://jtidwell.net/photos/welch-dickey.php

Jenifer,

Re: leaves still on trees - It's just beginning to dawn on me that elevation has a great deal to do with what stage the leaves are at. From Jennings Peak on Sunday there was great color to be seen down in the valleys, but on the trails the leaves were largely underfoot. I think you were seeing more color on the trees you were hiking by because you were at a lower elevation than Steve or me.

I hiked three 3000 footers this weekend and had great views from all three. The people I know who were another 1000 feet higher saw less color.

I hiked the Webster Cliff Trail on Saturday and Mt Crawford on Sunday and although there were leaves on the trail and in the water bars, the trees were still ablaze with color.

Very nice pictures, Jenifer.

I remembered to bring my extra batteries, but somehow forgot my camera.

Since I was back to my car by 2:30, I was thinking about hitting the Welsj-Dickey loop too. Considering what happened with my car, I guess its a good thing that I didn't.