Sandwich Mountain on Mothers Day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoes to Views

Reaction score
Sandwich Mountain 5/9/10

Mothers Day didn't start so well. Sharon was cleaning up after the dogs when I got out of bed. It got better when I asked whether she still wanted to try a Mothers Day hike even though the weather forecast wasn't so hot. She answered that she didn't get up that early just to clean up after the dog, so the hike preparations began.

There was sun in Kingston, but it got progressively more overcast as we made our way north on I93. There were a few flakes falling when she called her mother before we got off on route 49. Just before the exit we noticed a loose horse on the other side of the fence. We stopped to lead him back to his paddock.

The parking lot at the Sandwich Mountain trailhead was empty. A truck pulled in but he was just turning around so we geared up alone and started up the Sandwich Mountain trail.

The first brook crossing was pretty interesting. I went across first without any difficulty. I called Otis but he wouldn't leave Sharon's side. We wanted him to cross between us but he wasn't having any of it. So I returned and Sharon crossed. Sure enough, Otis followed and we were able to get on our way. There was a slight dusting of snow that gradually got thicker as we gained elevation. It was never more than a fraction of an inch all the way to the summit.

Otis is already in the habit of following the lead hiker, whoever that may be. Sometimes he goes into the lead himself, but then he stops, usually blocking the trail.

We had the trail all to ourselves until the summit. There we met two men coming from the other direction. We said hello but didn't hang out too long. It was pretty blustery and we didn't want to get a chill.

On the way down we made a last minute decision to take the Drake Brook trail. My knees we happy we did. The upper part of the trail had quite a few blowdowns, but the grade was much easier than the Sandwich Mountain Trail.

Met one other person and a beautiful Weimaraner on the trail. Said hello and continued on our way. Sharon saw one of the unauthorized campsites on the other side of the brook and decided to cross and bushwhack to the Fletcher's Cascade Trail with Otis. Otis was a little upset that we separated but they made their way through the hobblebush and found the trail.

I continued to the regular brook crossing, made my way across, noticed the Fletcher Cascade trail to my right, and started the last leg to the parking lot. On a whim, I pulled out my phone and decided to call. I was surprised when Sharon answered. She was behind me, but we didn't know how far. She was on the trail and making her way down. I reached the parking lot and got a call back. Sharon had just reached the trail junction, so I started back to meet them.

No special equipment required. Bare boots all the way.

All in all, it was a great way to spend Mothers Day.

Hiking with you, Judy, and Emma would be fun

I'm sure Otis, Sharon, and I would enjoy that. Drop me a line sometime when you're planning to go out.

Thanks to you and W7xman (and all the other true photographers on the site) I'm starting to slow down and observe the flowers. Trillium was blossoming and the true flowers of the Hobblebush were out.
This was an interesting hike. Spring hikes can have a lot of contrast between the conditions at the trailhead and the summit.