Santanoni by New/Old Path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeman

Reaction score
So there has been a lot of interest in this trail on this and other sites.

Reading through all the posts, I still haven't figured out exactly where the trail deviates from the formerly prescribed route via. Bradley Pond.

Also how much time/distance does this trail save and where is the last available water in relation to the summit.

Thanks, Tim

100 + views and no response to my question.

What's up with that?

Thanks BlackSpruce. I did find your TR on this route. The only thing I didn't find was time/distance savings via this route.

I would estimate the distance to bag just Santanoni as an out and back using this trail to be about 11.4 miles now. If your doing all three I don't see much change at all since instead of going around Bradley pond and up your just returning over the ridge then down, it just flipped like the other side of a box.

As far as water goes the responses you got on your previous thread still apply for doing the range. If you don't like to carry the water weight I would climb the old trail and fill up there and return via the new route. If just Santanoni I would bring the same amount of water as you would to do Iroquois from the start. Most seem to imply they find the trail easier from the top more so than the bottom. It isn't directly off the summit but back about .1 of a mile or so from the summit.

You made me recall hearing or seeing that when this trail was in use that there was also a trail to Panther then but that it took a course up before Bradley pond and then joined Panther brook, but that is a scattered memory and I could just be dreaming. I would certainly think that one if I'm right wouldn't of had people maintaining it over the years like the Santa one did.

Last edited:
Thanks again BlackSpruse.

I have to get Panther and Santanoni. this will be the third attempt. Last two times were in winter, with the last attempt about two weeks after the 06 valentines day storm.

I will most likely do this as a loop. Ascending via Bradley Pond and Panther Brook. Summit Panther Mtn. cross over to Santanoni then Descend via the new/old trail - tahawus Trail - (my favorite the St. Anthony trail).

Just seeing this so not sure if you have made this trip yet, but in regards to water on the trail :

Just did the three as a loop returning on New Old Trail Labor Day Weekend. No water anywhere on top right now. Water is found on the New Old Trail about 1 hour down from the start on Santa. Camel up on your way up to Times Square and you should be fine. I had 100 oz for me and my dog and we went through it all (for Couchie, Panther, Santa).

Happy Trails.

Last edited:
I thought I’d read that the Santanoni Trail had been posted as closed, supposedly because someone had been maintaining it all these years on the sly.

Is it no longer posted, or it the posting being ignored, or what’s going on there (not that I really need to worry about it until next summer anyway, when the situation may be different, but I’m curious anyway)?

Raymond said:
I thought I’d read that the Santanoni Trail had been posted as closed, supposedly because someone had been maintaining it all these years on the sly.

Is it no longer posted, or it the posting being ignored, or what’s going on there (not that I really need to worry about it until next summer anyway, when the situation may be different, but I’m curious anyway)?
I have not heard anything of the sort. Mavs is probably the best person to ask, as he is in communication with the people in the know.