Santanoni Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mer

Reaction score
Heading to Santanoni Range Sat 7/24-26 with a group of 8. Arriving Sat around noon is probably not a good thing as I suspect lean-to may be taken. Also expect ground at designated campsites to be soggy from all the rain. Any thoughts where to pitch tent?

I read in Adirondack Journey there's a place maybe around 3,000-3100' before herd path meets Panther Brook. Has anyone stayed there? This may be taken also.

A ranger who I contacted indicated we can pitch tent 150' away from h20 source/trail, however may be able to find possible campsite at less than 150' from herd path as this is not a true "trail." We also need to be respectful of private land...no camping.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

mer (heading for #45)

I've stayed there. I've also stayed in the lean-to. The extra hour it takes to get up to the site takes alot more energy with full packs. Enough so that I'm not convinced it's worth the effort. It is a nice little spot though. Might be a little tight for a party of 8.

I was just in the area again a few weeks back and the area is large enough to put a few tents (3-4 might be tough). I didn't have a tape measure though but you can get them a good bit off the trail as well. I've a detailed trip report -HERE- that explains where it is and how to get there.

p.s. You might find the lean-to open. We arrived at about 6:30 PM on a Friday night in mid-june and found it vacant. A party of two later joined us though.

Last edited:
Your trip reports are very helpful. Thanks. We hope to get the lean-to but chances may be slim as we would arrive at L-T around early afternoon on Saturday. Right now we have a four person tent & possibly three 2-person tents (guys may chose not to bond). We really don't want to hike too far with full packs if we can help it.

I know we have to be 150' away from h20 & a trail but was told by a reputable source that this was not a trail but a herd path. Your thoughts.