Save the date: Third Annual Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
Save the date: Fifth Annual Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count.
Dec 19 2009.

We enter into our fifth year; however, it is a 110 year old tradition with the National Audubon Society. The activity involves a one day census of every bird counted within a 7.5mi radius centered on the AMC Highland Center. The area encompasses many 4k peaks as well as brooks, rivers and bogs. The event welcomes birders and hikers of all abilities. Participants need to be ready for winter conditions. We have had participants on snowshoes, cross country skies and in cars.
So if you have finished your Christmas shopping and need some hiking experience before the official start of the winter peak bagging season (starting the following Monday) please join us.

The AMC is offering lodging packages. Participants can take advantage of these packages or just join up one or none of the following; breakfast, reception, or compilation dinner. Please contact me if you are interested [email protected] or link onto for further information.

http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/index.html

Last edited:
It's never too soon to think about this...

Matter of fact, it's a nice thought -- the cold of wiinter -- given that it's over 90 degrees outside right now.

I thought I'd give this a bump as it's getting a little closer. Can I sign up for the Zealand Rd again?
-vegematic

we're in. great event. I encourage anyone who winter hikes to join. the birding is a bit of a challenge sometimes, but it's a nice added dimension, I know at least for me, that normally gets overlooked. Plus Puck is like a little kid on Christmas with this event, so that's enjoyable.

I'd like to sign up as well. My husband says it is no longer acceptable for me to prioritize the CBC over family parties now that we have the baby, but should nothing come up (And I'm crossing all my fingers) I'll be there. I think Willard would be reasonable for me again.

Third Annual Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count. Dec 19 2009.
We enter into our fifth year....

I don't get the math, but I'll be there.

I feel so dumb....

Thanks for the interest. Vegematic Zealand is yours for the taking. I wish you a 15 degree day with a foot of snow, perfect wax on your skiis and lots of birds.

I will start my list for coverage soon.

Thanks for bumping this

Anybody considering this may be interested in the "zone" that this count entails; it's a circle around the Highland Center that includes Zealand Road, Mt Clinton Road, Hale, the Sugarloafs, Zealand, Tom, Field, Willey, Nancy, Bemis, the Southern Presies to Washington, Isolation, Stairs and all those paths, peaks and trails in between. You could walk around Bretton Woods and the Mt Washington Hotel properties if you wanted to.

Anybody considering this may be interested in the "zone" that this count entails; it's a circle around the Highland Center that includes Zealand Road, Mt Clinton Road, Hale, the Sugarloafs, Zealand, Tom, Field, Willey, Nancy, Bemis, the Southern Presies to Washington, Isolation, Stairs and all those paths, peaks and trails in between. You could walk around Bretton Woods and the Mt Washington Hotel properties if you wanted to.

Last year we had a naturalist form the AMC cover the Bretton Woods cross country ski area...this takes in a lot of terrain and covers the grounds around the Washington Hotel.

Chip you are right there is alot of territory

This needs to be bumped up

This event is less than month away. I've just signed on with Puck! Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

By the way AMC web site says this is the 6th annual .... Humm? What does this say about Puck's counting abiliity????

"National Audubon Society’s 110th Christmas Bird Count (CBC)
December 19

The 6th Annual Crawford Notch CBC is an early-winter bird census, where volunteers follow specified routes through a designated 15-mile diameter circle, counting every bird they see or hear. The event offers birders a wonderful opportunity to see and record dozens of species set amongst the spectacular beauty of Crawford Notch and its surroundings. Lodging packages are available for the weekend as well as breakfast and dinner for counters not staying overnight."

Last edited: