Third Annual Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
Save the date: Third Annual Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count.
Dec 15 2007

We enter into our third year; however, it is a 108 year old tradition with the National Audubon Society. The activity involves a one day census of every bird counted within a 7.5mi radius centered on the AMC Highland Center. The area encompasses many 4k peaks as well as brooks, rivers and bogs. The event welcomes birders and hikers of all abilities. Participants need to be ready for winter conditions. So if you have finished your Christmas shopping and need some hiking experience before the official start of the winter peak bagging season please join us.

The AMC is offering lodging packages. Participants can take atvantage of these packages or just join up for any of the following; breakfast, reception, or compilation dinner. Please contact me if you are interested [email protected] or link onto for further information.

http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/index.html

http://www.outdoors.org/about/calendar/index.cfm?CalMonth=12&CalYear=2007&CalDay=1&action=month#

If I've measured correctly; A 7 1/2 mile rad. from the Highland would include Washington through the southern Presidentials and Isolation, Willey, Field and Tom, Zealand and Hale, but not the Bonds or Twins. Does that sound right ?
Obviously lots of trail and 3k's in there as well. Any area habitually under or over subscribed ?

Chip said:
If I've measured correctly; A 7 1/2 mile rad. from the Highland would include Washington through the southern Presidentials and Isolation, Willey, Field and Tom, Zealand and Hale, but not the Bonds or Twins. Does that sound right ?
Obviously lots of trail and 3k's in there as well. Any area habitually under or over subscribed ?
Chip that sounds right. Dry River area is in the circle as well as most of Nancy Pond. Crawford Path is taken. We have easy areas of coverage; Zealand Road, Cherry Mountain and the area around the Higland Center. In fact one of the best birds in the state came from that area, a Northern Shrike.

The alpine areas may not yield anything but if people want to work a certain trail then take a break from birding to scamper up and bag a peak that is fine. I would love to get into the area around Zealand Hut, the beaver bogs and the area leading up to the col between Tom and Field.

Hey Puck,
Thanks for the heads up on this. I've added it to my Outlook calendar. I've got nothing going on that date as of now. Family stuff tends to come up around then, but if it stays open I should be able to contribute. I've not before done this count. I did just see my first Northern Shrike on my recent trip to Alaska this past August.
Early Bird

Paradox said:
This sounds very cool. I have okayed it with the power that is. I am fairly new to birding and have never done this before. I do have a good quality spotting scope, shall I bring it? Any other equipment suggestions?

The scope would be to much. Just some binocs like 7x32 or 8x42. Be ready for a winter hike ie warm clothes, food, water, first aid etc. Some people like to hit a 4k peak some just go into good habitat areas.

Thanks for your interest. You are now in the loop.

Craig

Paradox and me will probably be hiking from the Highland Center out Mt Clinton Rd and coming back over Eisenhower and Pierce. My family is staying at Bretton Woods Lodge, which is nice, and rates are okay as this'll be pre-season. Earlybird may make it, but she has a hard time with calendars and dates, so I'm not too sure :eek: ;) .

We should all plan on a couple beers somewhere.

Chip said:
We should all plan on a couple beers somewhere.

I am buying everyone a beer if we count seven or more blackbacked woodpeckers. Seven is the National high last year set by a tie with the Anchorage AK, and Island Pond Vt circles.

This maybe our only shot at fame this lifetime people!

I hope Early Bird can make it. We have lot of areas open and we need experienced hikers and/or birders.

It looks like I will be able to make this one. It'll be my first "official" birding adventure.

What actually happens at one of these things?

-vegematic

vegematic said:

-vegematic
Yes, as the time draws nearer, I am wondering the same thing. Looking forward to it and to seeing the participants.

Early Bird said:
Yes, as the time draws nearer, I am wondering the same thing. Looking forward to it and to seeing the participants.
Puck will email you the Wanted Posters. Then it's a search and record hike. Hike where you will, but you need to count and identify the birds you see. This is a national effort. Ongoing...whatever man...Puck's into it and it's a good variation on the normal traverse type hike.

vegematic said:
It looks like I will be able to make this one. It'll be my first "official" birding adventure.

-vegematic

Great news! Vegemetaic and Early Bird Please PM me with your email address. I will send you a few links and an attachment of most wanted posters, as Chip calls them, and the checklist.

We have many routes open. And some begginers that could use an experienced hiker-birder in thier party. What you do is up do you, however.

We meet at the AMC Highland Center at 7:30 for a meeting (brief) and breakfast.
We go out with our pairs or parties. Counting every bird we see/hear. (checklist will be provided) Binoculars and other equipment could be provided by the AMC.
Reception at the HC at 5:00. followed by the compliation session and dinner.

There are lodging/meal packages offered, call the AMC and mention the Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count. You can be there for all of it or some of it. Its up to you.

It is an AMC sponsered event. They are concerned with safety. We could have winter conditions in all areas, I hope. With VFTT members mentioning safety is like preaching to the choir.

http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/index.html

We're interested. I sent you a note.

Now, I'll have to adjourn to the 'cheap sleeps in the whites' thread to find lodging! :D

Just bumping this one back up.

Hey, anyone want to go with me? I'm covering A-Z Trail, Mt. Tom, Zealand Valley.

December 15.

-Dr. Wu

and Kinglets are not frightened off by snowshoe sounds.

If anyone is in the Highland Center area at 7:30am Saturday, please join us for breakfast. If you're in the Highland Center area at 4:30pm Saturday, please join us for beers.