Saw my first bobcat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrimarc

Reaction score
A few of us spent Saturday night at the Caitlin Bay lean-to on Long Lake. It was beautiful and cold - lake just froze over that night. We awoke to a light but steady snow. It was a great time and one of my favorite winter spots.

The highlight of the trip however came on the way back to Gansevoort. Just north of North Creek on Rt. 28/30 a bobcat crossed the highway directly in front of us. Just lopped across the road and when it got across, it turned to look at our vehicle. It was beautiful - big with a full coat. And very cute. Unfortunately it all happened too fast to get any photo's.

What a thrill.

Rob

Well I'm more jealous than Bubba and Jason put together! I've been lucky enough to have had two bear and two moose sightings in the woods thru the years, but I'd LOVE to see a bobcat. I hope to be so fortunate!

Bobcat was a highlight

I have seen bears(at Marcy Dam), Moose at our camp on Lake George - 3 of them actually - one in our driveway and 2 swimming in The Lake, a Pine Martin at Flowed Lands, too many coyotes in my backyard...but the bobcat was my favorite.

Rob

Hey good for you! I've been lucky to see them three times in the catskills over the years, really cool. January seems to be the month, though I've seen them twice in summer. Have you ever heard their eery howl at night? It's a bit freaky!!!

Very cool!!! I've yet to see one in the forest, but it's only a matter of time.
I've seen tracks, and I've probably been watched.

Happy Trails :)

I was lucky to see a bobcat once -- during my '94 thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah National Park. Going around a corner in the trail, I surprised the kitty while it was "answering a nature call." :eek: Seeing the cat was pretty durn cool.

Stinkyfeet (who saw 3 coyotes on her run yesterday!) :)

While this thread is still in sight I thought I'd mention that we had a bobcat run across the road near the Hopper [ Greylock ] trailhead this afternoon. Very beautiful and very healthy looking, it was aparently in pursuit of a domestic cat which ran up a driveway a short ways down the road. This is the first one I've seen in 35 years and also the best view of one.

Dave

I've seen two different bobcats. The first one was when I was 11 years old or so in Chemung county, Erin, New York. My dad and I were fishing in the middle of a small pond when the bobcat came down to the shoreline, took a drink of water, hung out for a couple minutes, and then headed back into the woods. I didn't realize it then, but that sightning was probably a very rare occurence for something that prolonged. Wish we had a camera with a zoom....

Last year my mother and I were driving down Bypass 28 in Auburn, NH when a small bobcat darted across the road...around 8pm or so. I've never seen anything move so fast in my life. At first I wasn't sure what kind of cat it was, but it was definitely bigger than a house cat. After a little research, I concluded it was a small bobcat.