Scramble up the Bond CLiff Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickbrusil

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the scramble going up the bonds from the pemi is going to be difficult decending.

A friend and I are considering doing the twins/bonds traverse next week and as much as I love the exhilaration of a scramble they can be scary as hell... so anyones take on it in order to calm or swell my fears is appreciated.

This is not a steep trail, if memory serves. (It's been a couple years.) I remember it to be long and very scenic, but not steep.

Happy trails!

Thanks for the feedback. At least I have an idea of what is going on now.

I have done the tripyramid slides, flume slide, and castle ridge trial.... so one would think I wouldn't be such a whimp, but it always feels hairy doing a scarmble.

Audrey's correct... it's only about 12' and there is a bypass. Given the other routes you've done, you'll be just fine. And you're not a wimp! You're just doing your homework, which is always smart.

I just did that trail this past weekend and have a trip report and pics up on my website. Check it out. :)

Nice trip report my firend, sounds as if you had a blast. Also, glad the t-storms held off untill you were done from the slide. take care - patrick

Given everything already said about the "12 foot wall" on the Bond Cliff Trail, it wass a formidable obstacle for backpackers in the past, whom I ncountered at this place during rainstorms. We usually stopped to help haul their heavy packs up and then guide them with placing their feet on the excellent footholds on the rock, etc. So, I guess that I am not surprised that a detour through the brush now avoids this obstacle, which is a shame in some respects.

Patrick,

The scramble is not difficult and there are good foot and handholds and with scrub all around no feeling of falling off the edge of the world.

HERE is a pic from last year and HERE is another shot looking straight down from the top.

Ahh, Bondcliff. I'll be back soon :)

Bob

I was all worried over that?
It appears more like giant steps than a scramble.

thanks for the pics bob, again they are smashing.

patrickbrusil said:
I was all worried over that?

That's what I was thinking when you asked the question.

Actually, I thought you were planning on climbing down the backside of the cliff, off trail.

:confused:

Patrick,

You're welcome, and you are just going to love the Bonds. A very special place.

Bob

John H Swanson said:
That's what I was thinking when you asked the question.

Actually, I thought you were planning on climbing down the backside of the cliff, off trail.

:confused:

That sounds like a bet I would make with my hiking partner.

coming down from the cliff isn't the problem. The problem is the Wilderness/Lincoln Woods trail. Flat and nothing to look at. And it seems endless, especially at the end of a long day on the Bonds.