Seeking Acadia info for dogs and kids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmak

Reaction score
Heading up to Acadia with the family (10 y.o. daughter) and the new pup (10 months) this weekend. We are staying at Somes Sound Campground and plan to spend the weekend hiking and cycling. A couple of questions since the last time I was up there I was a single guy and did nothing but climb, kayak and hike:

What to do with a 10 y.o. in the rain?

Is there a reputable place where I can find daycare for the dog while we bike?

I want to bring my Trek 520 touring bike so I can do some road riding as well as the carriage paths with the family. Will 35 mm tires work on the carriage paths?

Best places / worst places (regarding people, not trail pitch) to bring a dog?

How bad are the black flies there? (I have not been there in the summer before)

Any other info appreciated. I have already done a search and downloaded some great info from previous posts. Thanks!

With dogs, skip Cadillac Mountain; at 1532', it's Acadia's highest point, which attracts tourists, who can drive up the auto road. A short hike up a lesser climbed peak, Acadia, will give you a nice view over Somes Sound and is OK or dogs. Sargent is open, wide, broad and good for pups too. There are various ways to climb it. Take water.

bobmak said:
How bad are the black flies there? (I have not been there in the summer before)
I was there this weekend. We stayed at Blackwoods. Spent the three days bumming all around the island, and the bug situation was about as pleasant as plaeasant gets. No black flies were out, no swarming, swatting or waving arms wildly. No mosquitos. Couple of us walked away with single bites, but don't even remember being bitten!

Brian

the bugs should not be bad, they are never that bad along the coast. There is a movie theatre in Bar Harbor for kids to watch movies or lots of other shops to visit. The town of Ellsworth is only a 25 minute or so ride away if you want to go find a mini golf place, fast food place, or other attractions. Lots to do, you shouldnt be bored.