Semi Pemi Loop Backpack - 8/14 and 8/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumhaggart

Reaction score
Needed six more summits to finish the NH4Ks, and with the good weather forecast this weekend, I decided to knock off five of them on one trip.

Plan A
My original plan was to do the west side half-loop (Lincoln Woods to Garfield via Franconia Brook, down Franconia Ridge and out the Osseo) counterclockwise (that's anti-clockwise for you, Prino;)). I'd take three days with stops at Garfield Ridge CS the first night and Liberty Springs CS the second.
Then, while reading Trip Reports, I find that 7Summits, Nif and Adventurous banged out the full Pemi loop in one long day.:eek: I thought, "Wow, three days to do the half loop sounds pretty wimpy now."
So I came up with Plan B...

Plan B
Plan B was to do the half-loop in two days, clockwise, with one night spent at Garfield Ridge CS. This meant a 14.5 mile day up Franconia Ridge and a 10.5 mile day back out to Lincoln Woods through the middle of the Pemi Wilderness. Surely I could manage that... :cool:

Back to Plan A
The night before I left, what little common sense I have left overruled the testosterone and I went back to Plan A. I reasoned that our three robo-hikers are all younger than me, and they were probably not carrying 35 lb packs.
I admit it's kind of weak, but I had to have something to cling to. :eek:

Plan A-modified
OK, so we started out with Plan A. I left Lincoln Woods at 6:30 AM Friday morning and headed up through the heart of the Pemi Wilderness. I made good time up Lincoln Woods and Franconia Brook and I arrived at the Garfield Ridge CS just past 11:00 AM. This is where things took a turn.
It just seemed too early to set up camp and call it a day. I had brought a paperback with me, but I didn't really hike all the way in just to read. I chatted with the caretaker for a bit and, firmly convinced that I was feeling strong, decided to go ahead and make the 7.5 mile trip over Garfield, Lafayette and Lincoln to the Liberty Springs CS. I figured to arrive by 7:00 PM.
Where is common sense when you most need it? :confused:

Long Story Short(er)
I didn't summit Lafayette until 6:00 PM. I rolled into Liberty Springs at 8:30 PM (by headlamp). The platforms were full, so the caretaker let me share his "storage platform" with two big drums, the contents of which I don't even want to know. I was too tired to care.
The trip out the following day was uneventful, except for the constant burn in my thighs and ache in my knees. :(
Weather was phenomenal and the views from the ridge breathtaking. It had been 20+ years since I had been up on Franconia Ridge, and it was even better than I remembered.

Ironic Twist
When I left Garfield Ridge CS on Friday, the first person I ran into was Cath Goodwin (two sightings in two weeks and no snow anywhere). We determined that we had VFTT in common, and in chatting I learned that Cath was doing the same loop that I was, only in the other direction. The sad part was that she had left Lincoln Woods an hour after me and had completed three more miles than I had. :(

Lessons Learned
  • Even though my mind still works like it did twenty years ago, my legs don't.
  • 7Summits, Nif, Adventurous, Cath - You Rock!!!

Steve