Severe weather in/near Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
In the past couple of hours there has been a big storm that crossed over and just north of Baxter SP. Winds on radar were estimated at up to 80 MPH. Hope everyone's fine! It will be interesting to see any trail conditions from this upcoming weekend.

Weatherman

I got caught out in a bit of that.

I was on Fort Friday a bit after noon time when I heard thunder coming. I decided not to continue on to the plane crash and hastily made my way back to N. Brother where there were dark clouds brewing. When I crossed through the summit area I got buffeted around by wind a good bit and just as I got below treeline the sky opened up with heavy rain, thunder, lightning and hail. It got so dark I was considering taking out my headlamp for a few minutes.

On my way home I heard new severe thunderstorm warnings coming over the radio every 5 minutes or so. Looks like I made it out just in time. I was afraid I was going to get caught out in the open on N. Brother when the lightning started.

I hiked Katahdin and the Coe/Brothers/Fort loop over Thursday and Friday. There were some badly eroded sections on the Brothers, which might have already been there. I didn't notice an unusual number of blowdowns.

Last edited:
The Caribou NWS website mentioned blowdowns reported on the Baxter tote road on the N and W sides, but it looks like most of the action was north of the park... even some funnel cloud sightings way up north (no confimed tornadoes though). Glad you're OK!