Seymour - January 29th - ADK W46th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLepore

Reaction score
Ahhh, the last peak on my winter Adirondack 46er list. There were other peaks in line for #46, but weather and planning ultimately lead to Seymour being the last standing peak. All told there was an exorbitant number of miles driven, fat food eaten, and mileage hiken to get to #46.

Starting out from the winter parking area on the Corey’s road the temperature was –15 and we had the moon lighting our way (turned off headlamp). We tramped down the road and on to the summer parking area and trail register. No one had signed the register to climb Seymour since January 9th (although one group went into Ward Brook to climb Seward). With the blizzard we had received in Jersey the prior week, I for one was expecting more snow in the dacks. Not the case! The trail is wide open and easy to follow until reaching the Seymour herd path although it required some trail breaking as there had been minimal activity in this area. The herd path leaves the trail shortly after the Ward Brook lean-to (.1 mile) on the right side immediately after crossing first bridge. The start is marked by a plastic bag covering a tree stump. The herd path to Seymour is 1.5 miles and a 2,000 climb from the Truck Road. We generally followed the summer route although we lost the path a few times (initial section and near top of slide). We looked around picked up the path, which was a good thing as the upper section of Seymour were covered with thick brush. The three of us broke the trail to the summit, which had not seen any use in three weeks. It took us about 3 hours from the Truck Road to the summit.

Finally we reached the summit at 1:05 PM. Yahhhoooo!!! 46th winter peak!!! Upon reaching the summit, I was presented a winter 46er patch from John. What a great surprise!! Thanks to John and Nan for joining me on my 46th peak as well as other previous climbs. Also, to Arlene and Doreen (VFTT) for the great coconut brownies that powered us from the summit back home.

Before even getting home, the next winter peak bagging list was out and being reviewed for upcoming trips to New England and the Whites. No peak bagging problems or obsessions here!!!!!

Congrates MLepore: Good report! It is always good to hear about success stories, and yours is one of them. Now that the trail is broken out, others will probably follow.

Way to go Mike!!

Congratulations on your 46th!!!! We were thinking about you-and wondering how you did Sat. Also glad to hear you are planning other climbs! Lots of hard work paid off!!!
Arlene