Seymour - Saturday June 11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaddock

Reaction score
We got a group of 7 together and decided to hike Seymour. My wife with her sore knees was able to join us for the 9km approach which was a nice change.

I was surprised by the bug situation. Until we hit the leanto's there was nothing. At the lean-to's the deer flies were pretty bad. The blackflies only came out about 1/2 a mile from the summit. I had figured the bugs would be bad all along the approach where the water was running... What do I know I guess.

The approach to the turnoff cairn is really easy, no mud, just a few fun stream crossings. With the high heat, hiking along the water for most of the way was great. We could refill our water bottles and dunk are heads, and my dog could cool off too.

After the turnoff the climb started. It began relatively easy, but the last 1/2 mile was really steep. Lots of grabbing onto roots. In a few spots I had to walk my dog around some steep rocks making it much easier for him and much more difficult for me... :)

We made it to the and stopped briefly to take in the nice views. The bugs were too bad up there to accomadate lounging around. Everybody wanted to hustle down.

We saw lots of wildlife on the drive too. Cranes, deer, frogs, much more than we usually see on the hike.

All in all a great day in the ADK's.

-Shayne