Shameless peak bagging in Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
I've read multiple posts on Katahdin/Hamlin and viewed many wonderful photos. I am venturing to Baxter for the sole purpose of Katahdin and Hamlin, wish i had more time for Brothers etc, next weekend 9/17&18. My anticipated route is Chimney pond-Saddle-over to Hamlin and back-onto Katahdin, then weather and fatigue dependent either across Knife and down Helen Taylor(good scenario) or back to saddle and out(bad weather etc scenario). I would like some feedback on anyone doing this type route, on time, fullfillment of goals and aesthetics of this route compared to others. My theory is get in the easiest(?) approach to get the two summits(before weather or getting my butt kicked sets in), then have time to dink around and enjoy the wonders and head out.
thanks, sue...ctsparrow (saving gas and sitting in CT!!)

ctsparrow said:
I've read multiple posts on Katahdin/Hamlin and viewed many wonderful photos. I am venturing to Baxter for the sole purpose of Katahdin and Hamlin, wish i had more time for Brothers etc, next weekend 9/17&18. My anticipated route is Chimney pond-Saddle-over to Hamlin and back-onto Katahdin, then weather and fatigue dependent either across Knife and down Helen Taylor(good scenario) or back to saddle and out(bad weather etc scenario). I would like some feedback on anyone doing this type route, on time, fullfillment of goals and aesthetics of this route compared to others. My theory is get in the easiest(?) approach to get the two summits(before weather or getting my butt kicked sets in), then have time to dink around and enjoy the wonders and head out.
thanks, sue...ctsparrow (saving gas and sitting in CT!!)
Hi Sue

I suggest rather than going up via the Saddle Trail, go up the Hamlin Ridge Trail. It's not steep (although a bit "ledgy") and you'll see the North Basin, a beautiful spot. It starts a little ways south of Chimney Pond via the North Basin Trail. Hamlin Ridge is spectacular in good wearther. The Saddle Trail is just a dusty slide :). You will actually save some time and distance since you won't be doing an over and back to Hamlin.

Then you can cross the Saddle and up to Katahdin. Knife Edge-Helon Taylor in good weather, Saddle otherwise to descend is a good plan.

This can be a great (but tiring) day. Nothing shameful about it

Why are you retreacing your steps and making a long hike longer?

Why not a loop? Taylor, Knifes edge, across to Hamlin down Ham ridge to Chimney Pd then out.

If the weather looks at all good the morning of your hike I HIGHLY recommend Helon Taylor - Knife Edge to Baxter Peak and then jaunt over to Hamlin (only one route, I forget the trail name) and down the Hamlin Ridge Trail. It is a spectacular way to see Katahdin (Tour de Katahdin).

Having gone this way across the knife edge it seems the easier way to go across.

It would be hard to do Katahdin wrong. If there is even a hint of sunshine there will undoubtedly be a great view somewhere along the route. Have fun.

Helon Taylor trail

:cool: it is Helon not Helen Taylor.He was one of the first park rangers.1930s

As others have said, take the Hamlin Ridge trail up to Hamlin. It is a great open ridge with impressive basins on both sides. The view towards the Knife Edge and Baxter Peak is among the best i've seen in the northeast.

I'd only take the Saddle Trail if weather looks to be a factor. Although, I doubt you can go wrong with any trail on Katahdin... there are views everywhere!

HTML:
If the weather looks at all good the morning of your hike I HIGHLY recommend Helon Taylor - Knife Edge to Baxter Peak and then jaunt over to Hamlin (only one route, I forget the trail name) and down the Hamlin Ridge Trail. It is a spectacular way to see Katahdin (Tour de Katahdin

My BIGGEST concern with going in Helon(sorry bout the spelling),to Knifes Edge first, is i'm afraid i might have a vertigo problem with it, that's why i'm saving it for the end of the day in case i chicken out!!!! :eek:

I've done all the 48 4k in NH should i be that concerned about the environs on the Knifes Edge..thanks, sue.

ctsparrow said:
HTML:
If the weather looks at all good the morning of your hike I HIGHLY recommend Helon Taylor - Knife Edge to Baxter Peak and then jaunt over to Hamlin (only one route, I forget the trail name) and down the Hamlin Ridge Trail. It is a spectacular way to see Katahdin (Tour de Katahdin

My BIGGEST concern with going in Helon(sorry bout the spelling),to Knifes Edge first, is i'm afraid i might have a vertigo problem with it, that's why i'm saving it for the end of the day in case i chicken out!!!! :eek:

I've done all the 48 4k in NH should i be that concerned about the environs on the Knifes Edge..thanks, sue.
IMHO, the Knife Edge is less scary than the Blueberry Ridge Trail on Whireface, and much less scary than standing on that rock everyone stands on on Bondcliff.

Just close your eyes and do it. Bet yet, open your eyes and do it :D :D.

Papa Bear said:
Hi Sue

I suggest rather than going up via the Saddle Trail, go up the Hamlin Ridge Trail. It's not steep (although a bit "ledgy") and you'll see the North Basin, a beautiful spot.

Hi Sue!

Last week I did the route to Hamlin & Baxter peaks that PapaBear suggests and would highly recomend it. Make sure you stop at Caribou Spring for an ICE COLD drink!
Once at the summit of Baxter you can then decide which route to descend based on how strong your feeling &/or the weather. We had "perfect" weather but one of our group was fatigued so we took what I consider the easier way down via the Saddle trail.

Onestep

I did the same route that Onestep did back in early August. Hamlin Ridge is definitely worth it. Most likely you'll have it all to yourself. You'll see views like this on the way up.

I'd go up Hamlin first if only to avoid the disappointment of either bad weather or vertigo at the Knife Edge. Otherwise, an advantage of starting via the Helon Taylor Trail is that what most people feel is the trickiest part of the Knife Edge is over at the beginning.

Hmm, I mostly agree on the trail recommendations, but would do it in reverse. I'd either go up Helon (pronounced HEE-lon) Taylor or even better IMHO Dudley, across Knife Edge to Baxter Peak, across the Tableland to Hamlin (ditto on Caribou Spring!), up to Hamlin, and down Hamlin Ridge. If you have concerns about exposure, coming down Knife Edge could leave you seriously considering turning around when you get to Chimney Peak.

One reason for recommending Dudley is that if you realize the exposure and steeps are too much for you, turning around and heading back down to Chimney still allows you time to consider heading up Saddle to Baxter Summit.

The Knife edge is so overated imo. I havent been up there in 20 yrs but, I went up Pamola peak crossed the knife edge to Hamlin peak then down to chimney pond, forgive me this is all by memory my guides are packed and IM borrowing a computer but this is the CLASSIC way of doing katadin. To do Katahdin and not do the Knife edge is like going to Yosemite and not seeing Yosemite falls.