Sharing bondcliff with a moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonPatrikz

Reaction score
So it was your typical 330am start for a short hike up to bond cliff prior to work in the early afternoon. I was hiking with the group doing that was doing the pemi loop but do to work at 12:30pm I was only able to join them for a short period of time.

The hike in was the normal trudge just in the dark, almost more enjoyable this way so you don’t see those long straight aways. We quickly hit the turn off in just over an hour or so and took a layer off for the nice hike up the cliff trail. It started to get light once above the no camping areas and the light went off for good at the clearing just shy of the switch backs.

Here came the first critter of the day, a fox passed by on the edge of the trail in the switch backs with something in its mouth. It looked back with what seemed to be a look of pitty or “what’s taking so long.” Once above the short steep rock section I added a long sleeve shirt to the short sleeve as it was pretty chilly and windy. Then came the first foggy views of the leading ridge, then came a supprise for sure, a moose! Litteraly 5 minutes from the summit we were able to follow it up along the ridge when it headed down just over the edge from the summit where we were able to enjoy the views of both bond cliff and a moose for a period of time along with the other lucky few.

Saying some good byes to all the new people I met I then headed down and back to the car. It seemed like slow going with the new shoes that weren’t broken in, but made it back pretty quickly through the short sprinkles of rain, and enjoying all the other people heading in while I was on my way out and back to the car by 920.

A great way to start the day, in about 8 hours i drove to Lincoln hiked to bond cliff, saw a moose, meet a lot of new people ever so briefly, and was back before 1030, of which less than 6 hours were on the trail, then the unfortunate part, a 10 hour day at work, which the morning was much better.

Jason

Link to photos mostly of the moose

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p1/JasonPatrikz/Bonds/8_18_2007/

We cut it short at Galehead hut, I'm sure someone will toss a TR up at some point (I call not it!). The main concern was the hypothermia risk on top of Lafayette. Most of us got soaked heading up S twin when the rain started really pounding!

thanks for the pix Jason -

we bagged it at the hut, which was a shame (damn weather) becuase for a group this size, we made excellent time to the hut - it was just too wet and cold for a 32 mile day - after getting very wet and very chilled at south twin to the hut and at that time the rain didn't look like it was going to let up at all - everyone one of us pretty much said - f this, it isn't fun anymore and in reality, I don't care how experienced people are, it was a perfect hypothermia day and we all knew that.

the thought was we would be warm getting up garfield and laff - but soaked and then with a 50 mph wind from north laff to little haystack, it just wasn't the ideal day for a pemi loop - if the weather would have been better, I am quite sure it would have been the first pemi loop with a keg of beer in tow. :D :D

but it was a fun time - all in all the weekend was great - we even had a rave going that night at the camp.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute. Forget the complaining about work and "boring" trails. Please explain more about the moose encounter to those of us who would have been thrilled to be blessed with such a wonderful experience in such a wonderful place. Thanks for sharing :)

Ah yes, the moose... good shots all.

After we left B-cliff we were chasing that moose for a while!!

Jason, you missed out on the wetness :D

So, she was on the ridge and she continued north along the ridge? For how long? What did she graze on? Where did she go back down into the trees?

What a great sighting!!! Thanks for sharing :)

forestgnome said:
What did she graze on?

I bet it was enjoying the vast amounts of the red delicious lingonberries up on Bondcliff and Bond. Unfortunately I was too slow to see da moose. I was at the rear end of the gang.

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
Jason, you missed out on the wetness :D

Also missed out on the mini keg!!! :confused:

So unfortunate! I noticed the skies when i got down and was wondering how it was going as it wasn't looking to great from below. Though there was no rain for the drive home so it was a northern thing.

That moose was the second hike in a row though sunday's hike was the third hike in a row to see a moose. I guess i've had some luck lately considering i've only seen a couple before.